UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2011, 1:39 pm   #21
Graham-R
Pentode

Default Re: Dynatron Music Centre Info

Hiya

I have given most of the SRX30 chassis away so I would not need the manual, but I would like a copy if you do ever get around to scanning it though - but no rush (for me that is).

Thanks

Graham
Old 14th Nov 2011, 1:44 pm   #22
gezza123
Heptode

OK.GR.can't wait to see what you are putting in it then .Gezza
Old 14th Nov 2011, 2:12 pm   #23
Graham-R
Pentode

Me too, I am not sure if I am allowed to talk about all this modern fangled stuff on this forum without getting told off !

Oh well, currently the cabinet is crammed with a Talk Electronics pre/power amp, Philips CD850 CD player, Rotel 850L tuner and a Logitech Touch (with external DAC) - it is great for hiding all these ugly boxes !

When I have built the new receiver it will have the DAC, a Sony RDS tuner, Pro-ject phone stage, A Naim 62 pre, Naim NAP140 clone PA, logic controlled switching and some sort of remote control, and finally a Sugden BD1 if I can get the motor to behave.

It will take a while to complete, I shall post some pics as I go.

Graham
Old 14th Nov 2011, 4:52 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

'Mutton dressed as lamb' comes to mind with Dynatron! Good to look at (mostly) but no great shakes inside. Mind you, I know nothing about very early Dynatron ('proper' Dynatron perhaps).

Rich.
Old 14th Nov 2011, 7:08 pm   #25
Graham-R
Pentode

No, it is not 'proper' Dynatron in the sense that it is 1970's (and therefore Ekco/Pye/Philips era) - but then again I would never replace the electronics and deck on an older Hacker bros model.

But the cabinet is still very nicely made and that is why I bought it - to make a receiver with stuff from my parts box - and make a nice living room friendly audio system.

Graham

Actually this is way of the original topic - apologies for the thread hijack !

Last edited by Graham-R; 14th Nov 2011 at 7:33 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2011, 12:33 am   #26
dalgwcobl
Pentode

Apart from a period under EK Cole ownership in the late fifties when a few radiograms used Ekco chassis, ALL Dynatron audio models used their own in-house designed chassis, right up to the seventies.

Roberts Video had nothing to do with Dynatron TV models, the Roberts used a Philips chassis, while Dynatron used uprated Pye chassis mad in Lowestoft.

Latterly, the factory in King's Lynn was a wholly owned subsidiary of Philips, making Dynatron-designed music centres for Philips (AH979), Pye ('Black Box' 1600, 1605, 1606) and export Philips brands, as well as Dynatron's own models. The Dynatron SRX32 chassis was a music centre chassis as made for Pye/Philips, but with a magnetic cartridge and pre-amplifier. These were fitted to Dynatron period cabinets as a 'lower priced' (cheaper) range.
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 10:41 am   #27
Graham-R
Pentode

Hello

I have decide to use the SRX30 amp/psu that I have left over to make a workshop amp - but I forgot to make a note of the mains connections on the toroidal transformer. Can anyone shed any light on which of the four tags are connected to L & N and any interconnections - there are four pairs of two - a photo would be wonderful.

Thanks

GR
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 9:06 pm   #28
gezza123
Heptode

HI:G.R Is this what you require,sorry have not had time to do the manual
yet.If you need any other info then PM me. Gezza
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sx30 p18.pdf (422.4 KB, 892 views)
File Type: pdf sx30 p19.pdf (429.2 KB, 494 views)
File Type: pdf sx30 p23.pdf (551.9 KB, 511 views)
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 10:43 pm   #29
RGD Dennis
Retired Dormant Member

Barry

So Dynatron radiograms can't be given away can't they.

My Berkeley RG16SA of 1955 was £208 new and cost me £200 a year ago, the reprodction is superb band the cabinet is beautifully made.

Also the Ether Conqueror models are still fetching multiples of thousands of pounds providing they vare complete and not "butchered" for the amplifier.

One recently on Ebay fetched over £3000.
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 9:26 am   #30
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza123 View Post
HI:G.R Is this what you require,sorry have not had time to do the manual
yet.If you need any other info then PM me. Gezza
Excellent, shows exactly what I need, the only other thing that would be useful right now is any info on setting the amp bias.

Thanks for that, absolutely no rush for the reaminder of the manual !

Graham
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 10:23 am   #31
brenellic2000
Octode

I must correct RGD Dennis! I didn't say "Dynatron radiograms can't be given away"; I said "bulky radiograms can't be given away". There is a huge difference between the two statements!

Dynatrons and Hackers will always be sought after by those who appreciate them and have the room into which to place it, but I am truly astonished that one went for £3,000. I suspect that was for the electronics, rather than the cabinet.

But in the main, "bulky - emphasis on bulky rather than portable table top - radiograms are almost impossible to give away"... unless the two or more desperate bidders live very close by and have a Transit/Volvo estate. QED M'Lud!

Barry
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 7:40 pm   #32
gezza123
Heptode

HI.Graham,had a look at the manal and there is no reference to setting the bias.I think you just set R208 on each amp for 19volts on the feedback divider R205 and R206 connected to the Emiter of TR201.
I may be wrong so maybe someone else may know here is some more information regarding the amplifiers.
PS:I have now scaned the whole circuit and will Email it to you shortly.Good luck Gezza.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sx30 p25.pdf (739.7 KB, 482 views)
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 8:15 pm   #33
gezza123
Heptode

Manual sent Graham Gezza
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 8:30 pm   #34
Graham-R
Pentode

Gezza

Excellent, thanks for that.

Graham
Old 6th Dec 2011, 12:26 am   #35
Techman
Dekatron

I took the bottom off my (baby) Dynatron yesterday to have a quick look inside for the first time & it has quite a nice little amp unit with 'proper' components as shown in the picture below.

It's the HFC51 & is just a record player with no tape or radio & dates from about 1976, I think. It has the Goldring G102 deck with a Shure magnetic cartridge. These decks are fully manual with two speeds & seem to do the job really well - just let down by not having a full size 12 inch turntable. It really could do with a replacement drive belt, as it's fine on 45, but struggles on 33 - lucky the pick up tracks VERY lightly, so maintains speed, but won't take the full weight of the 'dust bug' when cleaning records at this speed.

Question - does anyone know how to get the turntable off on this deck? This is the first time ever, that I haven't been able to remove a turntable (or platter) on any deck & I need to get it off to get at the belt. So before I use brute force & destroy it - am I missing a trick somewhere with this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050127.JPG
Views:	1005
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	59582

Last edited by Techman; 6th Dec 2011 at 12:32 am.
Old 6th Dec 2011, 9:07 pm   #36
gezza123
Heptode

Is this a Goldring GL78.or very close
If so go here and will tell you how hope this helps.Gezza

http://www.***********************/goldring-manual.shtml
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	page 2.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	59597  
Old 7th Dec 2011, 12:02 am   #37
Techman
Dekatron

Many thanks for that, Gezza.

The GL75/78 would seem to be an idler drive deck with the idler mounted sideways & providing continuously variable speed from a long cone on the motor spindle. That's quite a nice deck with variable speed between 30 - 86 rpm with adjustable stops at the three main speeds. It's not the same as the G102 which doesn't seem to have been very 'popular' and there is no information that I can find about it on the net anywhere - not even the drive belt is listed by any of the people that do belts, but I'm sure it'll match up with something - when I get it off.

The method of turntable removal as recommended in that link, is to give the spindle a good hard 'tap' with a block of wood while lifting the turntable...a three handed job, so a couple of wooden wedges under the turntable and give the spindle a 'whack'. I thought it was probably this method that was required, but they usually just come off with a good pull upwards - this one is stuck fast, though.

That's the one as shown in your picture, the 'Carnival' I see it's called. Below is a picture I took of it a few months ago, just after I got it down from the loft and it still has the auction stickers on it from September 1997. I took the picture as I was going to perhaps start a thread on it, but seeing as there was nothing really to say about it, I didn't bother in the end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040243.JPG
Views:	1078
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	59606  
Old 7th Dec 2011, 12:14 am   #38
gezza123
Heptode

HI:Techman here is a bit more info for you.Gezza
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sx30 p6.pdf (918.3 KB, 999 views)
Old 7th Dec 2011, 12:21 am   #39
Techman
Dekatron

Cheers for that, Gezza. Just going to have a read of it!
Old 7th Dec 2011, 12:46 am   #40
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Techman, have you removed the silver disc in the middle of the TT. There may be a circlip under there. Otherwise, from your picture in post 36, is that a screw at the side of the bearing? I expect, if you loosened that the turntable would lift out with the spindle. You could then see how it comes appart.
David.
Closed Thread