UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2008, 11:58 am   #1
Cre8anet
Pentode

Default Radiograms. Will they ever be wanted?

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=23388

Graham. Station X. Forum Moderator.

------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
I'm sorry to say that you are now discovering the dismal truth about radiograms. Apart from a few pre-war models they are largely unloved and unwanted. In may cases you can barely give them away. I suspect this is mainly because of bulk and size. Most 1950s and 1960s radios sell for just a few pounds, radiograms of the same era will typically sell for less. If you can sell them at all.

Hang on for another 20 years and things may change. Or not.

As a carer of 5 grams I have to agree with Jeffrey. The post war Telefunken I love (and my better half hates) is described in brochure as "the crowning jewel" in the range.. and I was given it when a sale never happened.

(That said, it is good to see someone holding to a different view of the value. And, if the general appreciation does rise, it will have to start with a few people expecting a bit more from the punters.)

Last edited by Station X; 15th Jan 2008 at 12:54 pm. Reason: Thread split.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 12:28 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: (moved) Radiograms - wanted? Will they ever be?

Yes: fourteen of them are taking shelter here, seven and a half of which are pre-war, plus a couple of scruffs out in the garage, and what monetary value they have probably dwells largely in the occasional amplifier chassis or output valve, though while a few were just taken pity on at the auction room and one came with the house some of them are very nice indeed. (1929 Columbia, Marconi 563, HMV 664, big Linnet & Laursen Kardinal and Hacker RG200A among them). It seems an extraordinary state of affairs to me, but as it's real I'm not venturing any prediction as to when it may change.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 15th Jan 2008 at 12:38 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 1:15 pm   #3
Cre8anet
Pentode

Default Re: Radiograms. Will they ever be wanted?

Understood. Size is clearly one of the factors.. though I can't help but feel this needs unpacking a bit more.

Are there any others I wonder?
Old 15th Jan 2008, 1:27 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well I've got one coming tomorrow! Two are going to the lock up, making 4 in there, two in the house and I think 5 in the garage.

It's actually one of those 'rare but not valuable yet' types, and a superb bit of furniture too. Not as nice as the one that Mike Phelan got for nowt, but certainly interersting. Hungarian unit, branded CIVIC. As far as I can tell, the last of its kind left.

I do like them it must be said. They are usually in good condition too, as they were items of furniture. There's a few about - type 'Radiogram' into Ebay....

I know another bloke who has 2 stashed away too. Speculate to accumulate.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 7:43 pm   #5
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

I fear they will never be loved by many. I like them very much - and am lucky enough to have been given an allowance of "one" in my collection. Looking back, I'm quite convinced that I wouldn't even get that now - and as has already been stated, it's all down to space.

Doubtless if more of us on here lived in rambling mansions we'd be pleased to home a good few, but as it is, only the oldest and poshest models will survive.

I'm not sure I should confess to this, but were I allowed I'd also be tempted by one of those 70's Queen Anne style Dynatrons... I've always had a soft spot for them.
As it is, I used up my quota on a Grundig 8055 Arundel from the mid 50's. 6 speakers, two FM bands - and fitted with the optional auto-reverse reel to reel tape recorder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig & Philips final.jpg
Views:	4645
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	14532  
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:02 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Most 1950s consumer electronics is worth very little. A typical 1950s wooden radio is worth a tenner if you're lucky.

A radiogram from the same era will have very similar electronics in a great big box with a record deck fitted on the top. Most people will be reluctant to use the record deck with any vinyl that matters because of the high tracking weights and low compliance cartridges used. This means they take up a lot of space and aren't much use.

The small number of people interested in collecting this sort of thing generally won't have the space to keep them. I'm a good example - if somebody gave me a radiogram I'd have to get rid of the dining room sideboard just to make somewhere to put it.

Most of us already have houses bursting with impractical electronic junk and the last thing we want is a dirty great radiogram (If we have wives or partners they will generally want one even less).

Paul
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:06 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
As it is, I used up my quota on a Grundig 8055 Arundel from the mid 50's. 6 speakers, two FM bands - and fitted with the optional auto-reverse reel to reel tape recorder.
The cat seems a bit wary of it. The SWMBO probably has stronger opinions

I wouldn't have a radiogram at all if it were not for the 1947 Dynatron that came from Jackie's family. That's got PX4 output valves so it's been saved from an ignominious end.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:31 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'll admit to having broken up a cavernous 1950s Cossor myself about 20 years ago - there just wasn't enough inside it to justify all that space. Those here now all give better accounts of themselves in that regard: the big EMI instruments are really quite full, while other 30s ones (Murphy A30RG, Philco 269RG) are passably compact. Then there's the Murphy A592R baffle 'gram, so peculiar it had to be given a home. Squeezing in more has become harder, though, and the last to get in was the HMV 664 maybe eight or ten years ago, a close decision despite its motorised tuning and KT66 output.

Paul
Old 15th Jan 2008, 8:53 pm   #9
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Well I like radiograms! , But the only one in residence here is a nice little 1935 HMV 370, since it has a small footprint and there is no space left for more . From around 1998 until a few years ago, I rescued dozens of 30s - 50s 'grams from the local auction rooms for little money, usually £5, and took them to a friend who collects and enjoys them. He has an impressive collection (hundreds! ) ), at his Blackheath industrial premises, (now nearly full!). The supply has dried up since the demise of the auctions locally, but at least I can go and look and listen to them and feel good about having saved so many fine machines from their usual fate. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 9:02 pm   #10
reelguy
Heptode

Stewart,
Thanks for the pic of the Grundig 8055 Arundel.
I like Radiograms if they contain an original reel tape recorder like that one.
Can I ask what model the recorder is and I am assuming its a Grundig .
{I only like the really old ones}. }.
If I had a much bigger place I would like a couple of radioiograms.
I do have one but not in working order and minus original turntable.
Always liked the valved type.They sound much better to me.
Peter W........Reelguy
Old 15th Jan 2008, 9:35 pm   #11
PJL
Dekatron

A Decca Decola, a Marconi Q286 which was free on the forum and had been through a couple of hands already but is now happily working again, and two halves of an HMV 540AC (the last with some woodworm damage cost £5 on ebay and mine was the only bid).

The Decola has some value but I suspect this is more to do with the parts than the whole. It's a superb and large machine and I'm trying to clear the backlog to start on it although I have to say that Arundel looks even more spectacular.

The drop in prices for 30's wooden sets and radiograms is quite noticeable even over the 3 years I have gained an interest. I am sure this is to do with the accessability of ebay and I wonder if before this there was a steady flow of radios sent to landfill.

Peter
Old 15th Jan 2008, 10:41 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I dont have any . I have had one or two in the past ,But I do really like them especially pre war ,and some post war models . I would have at least one ,If i hadnt filld the house with console TVs I quite fancy a pre war Murphy , late 30s
I do think it a GREAT shame that nobody seams to want them .
with all this minimalism surely a stonking great Deco radiogram with nothing else in the room would be a great talking point
Old 16th Jan 2008, 12:05 am   #13
Michael Maurice

Unfortunately I had to part with my late grandmother's lovely Decca Stereogram. I enjoyed many Saturday mornings listening to Ed Stewart's Junior Choice and it was on this stereogram that I got my first taste of stereo, listening to Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 1:53 pm   #14
cavemuscle
Retired Dormant Member

In the USA the big consoles are finally getting thier due now that the limited supply of collectible tabletops is running thin.

I love my big Maggie (Magnavox), even in it's current unrestored condition. While she's being put to right I'm looking at potential cabinets. Fortunatly I have a spot picked out for her, just need the right boxes.

Capehart made some true monsters, with multi amp and multi room features, remote controls, and custom cabinets by Drexel Furniture with lacquer work by Steinway. These are starting to command prices at auction in the 5 figures.

So yes, collect then, even if it's to save them for other collectors down the road.

Brock
Old 16th Jan 2008, 2:42 pm   #15
yestertech
Nonode

I wanted an HMV1612 as soon as I saw the manuf. data. However, when one appeared on E-Bay, I realised just how large it was and that I would never have been able to "sneak it in" ! I will probably never find another but... Ho Hum.
I did buy a superb RGD ( 12xx) from a local auction, with a view to using it for spares, but I did not have the heart so I sold it on complete.
Nowadays, if I get hold of any more modern units, they are simply "explored " for useful spares, as many models share a number of useful parts with the radio on which they're usually based.
When that is done, the wood and metal get recycled in the appropriate places at our local tip.
Will they ever be wanted ? Only if there's some visual appeal. Some of the presentations ( and internals ) were simply so awful they deserve their fate !!
Andy

Last edited by yestertech; 16th Jan 2008 at 2:48 pm.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 2:45 pm   #16
Michael Maurice

One of the things I should have said about the Decca is that it was fitted with a pair of EMI speakers, cant remember the model numbers but these were very very popular measuring about 16" x 10", this and the huge enclosures made for a very nice sounding unit.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 2:50 pm   #17
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

I must confess to having just scrapped a EKCO SRG 395 this was a seventies set of poor construction and I just did not have the room to keep it, all parts have been recycled,I think good older models should be saved if possible
Old 16th Jan 2008, 4:31 pm   #18
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemuscle View Post
In the USA the big consoles are finally getting thier due now that the limited supply of collectible tabletops is running thin.
Americans tend to live in BIG houses though, usually with a large dry basement underneath. Most British homes are much smaller.

Paul
Old 16th Jan 2008, 8:05 pm   #19
cavemuscle
Retired Dormant Member

Wink Re: Radiograms. Will they ever be wanted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Americans tend to live in BIG houses though, usually with a large dry basement underneath. Most British homes are much smaller.

Paul
Fortunately, though not for those caught in it, that era of the 4,000 square foot "McMansion" is coming to an end. Endless commutes, sky high utility and maintenance fees, and declining home values are putting paid to that and not a moment too soon.

At less than 1,200 square feet my place is just right for me.

As for dry basements, I'll post pics of my Mom's this spring

Brock
Old 16th Jan 2008, 8:07 pm   #20
JoshWard
Octode

I love the look and sound of the big 50s radiograms, they look so imposing. I have one in my collection, a Grundig which I got from the freecycle. I've seen two recently on ebay locally and it's so tempting to bid but I'd never have any room for them! Josh.
Closed Thread