UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2012, 5:38 pm   #121
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Server Busy or Unavailable

Two outages today were caused by the forum software. It is very likely that the forum will be taken offline soon to confirm that it is the culprit. If it is then it will have to remain offline until I have sorted out alternative software.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd May 2012, 5:39 pm   #122
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I can confirm that I tried, unsuccessfully, to access the forum at 17:20.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:45 am   #123
Tim
Dekatron

I got forum unavailale yesterday quite late.
Server busy for a minute or so just now. The forum is obviously a victim of it's own success!
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:09 am   #124
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have reset the option to make the forum unavailable if the server load rises to a much lower threshold. This will mean more "server busy" messages from the forum but should allow the other (eCommerce) websites to keep running.

We will also be deleting about 20,000 old threads that are already removed from public view, removing older inactive users, and clearing out other junk (such as thread edit logs that only the mods can see) to reduce the size of the database.

There is a server upgrade planned for later this year so if the above tweaks can buy us some time it could avoid the need for a software change.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th May 2012, 12:59 pm   #125
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I have reset the option to make the forum unavailable if the server load rises to a much lower threshold. This will mean more "server busy" messages from the forum but should allow the other (eCommerce) websites to keep running.
Had this for 5-10 minutes at about 12:45 today. The forum has also seemed painfully slow all morning, but seems fine now.

Nick.
Old 29th May 2012, 1:39 pm   #126
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No need to record these any more. There is a known situation that has been detailed and discussed elsewhere, and investigations into a solution are ongoing.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread