UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 7:18 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Ceramic Filter Value? (Amstrad TVR2)

Hi,

I have an Amstrad TVR2 which I'm repairing. It needs a new ceramic filter as this one clearly needs replacing. It's in the delay line of the chassis (DL1602) and the service manual states it to be "Delay Line 113M652"

It has no other identification as to value or anything. I've had a look online too, but I cannot find anywhere that sells them (I'm getting more results for "Ceramic filters" for aquariums and ponds)

Does anyone know what it could be value wise, and if someone could point me in the right direction of a website which sells them, if possible please?

Any help is appreciated - Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 7:47 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ceramic Filter Value? (Amstrad TVR2)

I don’t have a circuit, what is it’s purpose, is in the Chroma delay line, luminance or some other part of the circuit.
Old 27th May 2019, 7:54 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

It's not a ceramic filter, it's a luminance delay line, someone on here might have something that will do, post a photo to show folks what size it is (it's not a big old time luminance delay line)

Luminance delay line outline shown here on page 59 (grid square 4F):

https://elektrotanya.com/amstrad_tvr.../download.html

Connected to pin 44 of IC1601 in the TV schematic.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 27th May 2019 at 8:19 pm.
Old 27th May 2019, 9:17 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I've posted the photo's below.

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me a heads up of where to get one, or if they have any they'd be willing to part with (costs covered)

Thank you for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DL1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	183976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	183977  
Old 27th May 2019, 9:49 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

What are the fault symptoms with the TV and why do you think the delay line is faulty?

Lawrence.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:19 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Well, I assumed that was faulty due to those lumps, I thought it had perhaps leaked/melted due to high heat levels or something.

The TV turns on, but doesn't tune to an input (The built in VCR needs some new belts, so cant try using that just yet)

After around 5 seconds of the TV being on, a relay clicks, and it seems to reset the tuner, too, as I could get a separate VCR input on channel 3, and a bit of a picture, relay clicks and it's pure static.

I know the delay line might not be part of the relay, but I still thought it'd need changing just by what I could see.

Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:13 pm   #7
Clydeuk
Hexode

I think it's meant to look like that, as it probably contains coils (never opened one but makes sense if it's a luminance delay line)

It's years since I've seen one of these. The TVR2 only had a single tuner unlike the larger TVR3. I wonder if a problem with the deck is causing the shut down, since you say it needs belts. Not sure why the TV would stay on though (with the tuning lost), maybe the relay contacts are welded shut? Does it go into standby correctly?

It's a safe bet the VCR will need more than just belts as this was never a reliable deck.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:03 am   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

Oh that's okay then, I've never seen one with lumps like that, but they might've been capacitors. I assumed it had leaked.
The only belt needed is for the loading mechanism, that I know of so far. It goes into standby fine.

I've actually just managed to get sound through, from an external VCR. I've actually just looked at the troubleshooting guide and it says that the contact of the tuner could be defective.

thanks
Closed Thread