UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2018, 11:04 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Question regarding a VCR motor

I have just taken an old VCR to bits and have managed to extract a brushless motor. If I understand correctly, this motor has two sets of coils and each set should be continuous. However, I can only read continuity between the first two connection strips. The 3rd and 4th strip are showing no continuity. Is this indicative of a defective motor ? Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180724_225132.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	166529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180724_225403.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	166530  

Last edited by Jolly 7; 24th Jul 2018 at 11:15 pm.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 3:10 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Question regarding a VCR motor

There are different drive arrangements for brushless motors. There are 8 coils there; but they could be arranged as two groups of four driven both ways (I.e., either end of the coil switchable to either power rail by means of NPN+PNP transistors, or N+P channel MOSFETs), or four pairs driven one way only (I,e., all positives commoned and negatives switched individually, or vice versa). Bipolar drive is electrically more challenging, but gives better torque for the same physical size than unipolar drive. You will need to look more carefully at how the coils are driven. And if in the course of so doing you get an opportunity to probe with your meter, seize it .....