UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2011, 6:26 pm   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Default BT Revelation.

Hi All
Does anyone know how to get hold of the Technical ( not Owners ) manual for this equipment. As yet I have not been able to find such on the internet
Many thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 25th Sep 2011, 6:38 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: BT revelation

Hi, I'm not certain if I still have some information, probably in pdf format. The most technical it will be is regarding installation and initial system programming though.

If you are looking for internal circuit information/diagrams etc. they are practically unobtainable as these PBX's were intended to be swapped out if the fault wasn't a simple one such as re-programming or a simple mains re-set.

Most GPO/BT (and other suppliers) equipment of this type was never intended to be repaired "on site" by linesmen, any repairs being done by the manufacturer themselves who, more than likely, owned exclusive rights to the actual circuit diagrams. The BT Revelation was manufactured by Lake Communications but I don't think that there is much information on the 'net about them.

What is the fault that you are experiencing with your PBX?

Regards
Andrew
Old 25th Sep 2011, 7:07 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: BT revelation

I have the engineers manual for this but only on paper. What do you want to know, I pretty much know them intimately
Old 26th Sep 2011, 11:17 pm   #4
trevwgb
Tetrode

Smile Re: BT Revelation.

Hi Guys
Many thanks for the reply - I have just got hold of one of these ( and a system phone ) as want to connect a number of my old phones. Firstly I should say I am not a telephone engineer ( I am a medic ) but have mastered the art of getting the old phones to work well. However, I seem to lack even basic info re this gear ( never had a PBX before ). I do have the User guide. - so with apologies for pathetic ignorance
1. I presume L1 is line in and this connects to the BT phone line. It says L1` and PF1 - If this is correct which wire goes where?
2. I assume the sockets 20 - 25 are for the phones - they are marked ABCD so again how do I wire the phones to these.
I think this might do for starters! - I suspect I hear you groaning!
Many thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 27th Sep 2011, 1:07 am   #5
jjwayle
Tetrode

Default Re: BT Revelation.

If you have a look at this website, http://www.britishtelephones.com/revalat1.htm it tells you all about the Revelation system. There is also a programming and user guide on there. I may switch from my pair of BT Minimasters for a Revelation, i picked one up with the full 12 extensions for £25 with a systemphone for which is needed for programming (but can be removed after).

To connect your old phones up is simple. Run cable from each extension of the Revelation to a BT type Master socket/linejack (easy to get off ebay or in bulk from say Toolstation or Screwfix etc). If you are just using normal phones a single pair will suffice from the Revelation to terminals 2 and 5 on each master socket, although the full 4 wires are needed for a systemphone attached to a master socket. Best thing to do is fit the full 4 wires on ext number 20 and programme your system from a systemphone here, you can disconnect the phone after and put on one of your vintage ones then.

If you just want the phones for demo use just connect them to the extensions and you can ring between them (why not fit one in each room of your house or as a link to shed/workshop etc). If you want to be flash you can connect one of the exchange lines to your landline, then when your landline ring you can set which of your extensions ring and can pick up on any of them as well as transfer calls between them even while having another seperate extension to extension call!

Great fun!
Jason
Old 27th Sep 2011, 9:38 am   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

PF1 is probably power-fail terminals for line 1.
Old 27th Sep 2011, 8:16 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
You have probably found this out now from the enclosed links but as a quick guide - all programming must be done via a system phone from extension 20 (the default setting) so you will need four wires (2 pairs) from port 20 to the socket that the system phone is attached to.

A to terminal 5 via the White/Blue wire
B goes to socket terminal 2 via the Blue/White wire
C to terminal 6 via the White/Green wire
D to terminal 1 via the Green/White wire

if the system phone display does not light up reverse the connections to the Green "pair"

Standard POTS telephones can be connected with two wires, usually the Blue pair A to terminal 5 and B to terminal 2 of the corresponding socket.

You need to use Master line jacks either LJ2/1A or NTE 5 A types and also need to be aware that in it's native unprogrammed state the default setting is that exchange line dial tone is not returned to the telephones when dialling 9 (or 51, 52 etc.) for an "outside line.

It's a while since I have programmed one of these, and no longer have one in use here at home, but if you need any help regarding programming feel free to PM me.

PF is indeed for power fail connections, the exchange line just connects to the terminals A and B on the L1 or L2 Krone connectors.

Regards
Andrew
Old 27th Sep 2011, 11:51 pm   #8
trevwgb
Tetrode

Hi guys
Many thanks for these very helpful replies - I will now get to it and see how I do
Regards
Trev
Old 13th Oct 2011, 1:51 am   #9
trevwgb
Tetrode

Hi
For anyone interested the BT revelation manuals are here
https://www.systemstl.co.uk/item/137...lation-manuals
Regards
trev
Old 21st Nov 2011, 9:05 pm   #10
trevwgb
Tetrode

Question Re: BT Revelation.

Hi All
Have now successfully set up the BT rev. system ( 3 + 12 ) and have the system phone on 20 and so far have old phones operating on extensions 21,22,23 and 25. However whatever I run off ext 24 gives me what seems to be the engaged tone ( ie an intermittent tone ) rather than the continuous tone on the working phones
Does this mean that 24 is faulty or am I missing something here?
Many thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 21st Nov 2011, 9:17 pm   #11
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, are you able to dial out on extension 24 or does the tone not "break" when dialling? If the former it may be that particular extension has a message waiting, or some other feature, programmed on it.
If you are unable to break the strange internal dial tone the extension may not have been provisioned or incorrectly provisioned (i.e.outgoing call barring set or some other feature)

regards
Andrew
Old 21st Nov 2011, 9:17 pm   #12
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Ext 24 has Call Forwarding or Do Not Disturb set? Try dialling 79 from that extension.
Closed Thread