UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2011, 10:20 pm   #1
Crystalstar
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aerial connection

Hi Guys I'm new to all this, but a few months I fell in love with an old Cambridge Pye Tablegram on Trade me bought it and am restoring it.
I'm good with wood as have been working with since I was eight with dads paint stripping gun. However have no electrical knowledge.

I want to try to boost the range of the ariel to pick up other am stations further afeild, not sure if this is possible, can any one assist me?

Had found an Indoor External AM Antenna with 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo connector is for use with the Model One* AM/FM table radio, the Model Satellite AM/FM/SIRIUS Satellite table radio, and the Music System Digital AM/FM/CD Hi-Fi System for improved AM reception.

however I am not sure if you can use this sort of ariel on an old vintage radio or if you can how do you adapt it, any help any one can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Crystalstar.
Old 12th Jul 2011, 10:44 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ariel connection

Old valve radios are designed for use with a long wire aerial. Just connect the longest length of wire you can find, the longer the better. If you have a garden you can run the wire down a wooden fence or hang it between the house and a tree. If you're in a flat try running some wire around the edge of the room.
Old 12th Jul 2011, 10:55 pm   #3
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

I've used washing lines. Sometimes specially purchased. Used to use my Mum's even with the washing on it.

Steel cored kind, not cord
Old 13th Jul 2011, 8:14 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Aerial connection

A good external earth can sometimes improve things too.Mainly it seams to get rid of a lot of interference in my experience , but has to be external.At least it does in my experience .Internal earth didn't work at all.
Before I used an external aerial and earth ,my reception was so bad here that I couldn't use sets without frame aerials!
Old 13th Jul 2011, 9:23 am   #5
newlite4
Octode

I installed a good aerial from my kitchen down to the parapet of the roof below. I used "vactite" silver plated insulated wire with porcelain egg insulators. The parapet end was just a lead block resting on the masonry. Only trouble is that builders re-developing the basement snipped off the wire leaving it dangling and have probably sold the lead block for beer money. Moral of this tale is, if you build your dream aerial, make sure no-one else can get at it!
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna1.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	53871  
Old 13th Jul 2011, 10:06 am   #6
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
nd have probably sold the lead block for beer money
Neil
use a brick next time, you can't weigh them in as well as lead
Old 13th Jul 2011, 11:37 am   #7
richrussell
Heptode

If you live in a pre-1950's house, you probably have picture rails. It was common practice to run a bit of wire in these to give you a half-decent aerial. Then connect the earth terminal of the radio (if it has one) to a convenient radiator pipe (scrape the paint off if you need to).

Not the best in the world, but a whole lot better than nothing. Even modest 1950s sets with inbuilt frame aerials perform a lot better with a couple of metres of wire chucked out the window.

The type of wire isn't that important - but if it's a permanent outdoor setup, it wants to be something that can withstand being loaded by wind and ice and sat on by birds.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 1:00 pm   #8
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
I installed a good aerial from my kitchen down to the parapet of the roof below. I used "vactite" silver plated insulated wire with porcelain egg insulators.
A few feet of nylon cord is better than the "egg" insulators. A lot cheaper.

Silver plating is good on high frequency coils. It doesn't make much difference for LW/MW/SW long wire aerials.

It might have some advantage on a resonated/tuned loop/frame aerial as the current is much higher.

Even barbed wire will work as a "long wire".
Old 13th Jul 2011, 2:56 pm   #9
richrussell
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon indicator View Post
Even barbed wire will work as a "long wire".
I knew an old farmer who had a crystal set in one of his barns (some distance from the farm buildings). He used to listen to the cricket on Radio 4 LW, with the nearby couple of km of fencing forming the aerial. Claimed it was better than the radio in the house. I think it was just an excuse for him to spend some time away from his wife (whom nobody liked). Sadly when he died the barns were cleared, along with the crystal set.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 4:07 pm   #10
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Interesting comment about the farmer and his fence. Of course, we don't know what aerial he was using at home to make the comparison, but his 'fence antenna' sounds like a variation on the theme of the Beverage aerial.

Al.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 4:46 pm   #11
richrussell
Heptode

I only once saw his barn (was up there with a friend, delivering some cattle feed), and the fence was the usual stock fencing on wooden posts with a barbed wire running about 6" above the stock fencing. I guess the stock fencing was more or less earthed, given it was partly buried in places at the bottom. The electronics engineer bit of my brain is trying to work out what effect this would have on the parallel barbed wire bit on top, being used as the antenna...

The farmhouse radio I suspect was a 1970's transistor of some sort, almost certainly with it's internal ferrite rod as the only aerial. So probably not too difficult to improve on.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 6:31 pm   #12

A quick google (another verb turned into an adjective) and this popped up http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?ins...re-antenna,116

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 14th Jul 2011 at 9:24 am. Reason: Unpoped.

Old 14th Jul 2011, 12:20 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Surely "Google" started out as a noun (name for the search engine) and got used as a verb "to google". I've not encountered it as an adjective.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jul 2011, 12:51 pm   #14
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

If the aerial in the diagram is used then a loop should be added to the connection to allow rain water to drip off. The word 'quick' is the adjective, the original google is a cricketing term, just as well you didn't have a googlie.
Old 14th Jul 2011, 1:44 pm   #15
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

It's derived from googol, either accidental or deliberate mis-spelling of it. Started as Proper Noun and now used as verb.

Nothing to do with Cricket. Time will tell if anything to do with Krikket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googol
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Krikkit
Old 14th Jul 2011, 2:09 pm   #16
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Aerial connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon indicator View Post
It's derived from googol, either accidental or deliberate mis-spelling of it. Started as Proper Noun and now used as verb.

Nothing to do with Cricket. Time will tell if anything to do with Krikket.
Well I concede googly not google is the cricketing term, to stay ot I don't like the brick idea it could act as a pendulum. I once built a long wire for my Dynatron Mimco, it consisted of thirty feet of 1 /1/2" sections of water pipe held up with wire guides, which looked a bit like the smoke stack stays on the Titanic. The aerial wire was attached with egg insulators.
Old 15th Jul 2011, 9:24 am   #17
Crystalstar
Retired Dormant Member

You guys are so out of control and get of the subject so easily.
Thanks Merlinmaxwell for the website you suggested. I took a quick look and that looks to be the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Crystalstar.
Old 15th Jul 2011, 7:20 pm   #18

Thanks for that Crystalstar, a very pleasant afternoon can be spent putting up a 'proper' aerial and earth system, they do make a very big difference to the reception on an old radio. Electric fence suppliers have modern plastic 'egg' insulators for not much money, I got a bag of 25 for a fiver (UK).

Old 20th Jul 2011, 7:43 pm   #19
FRANK.C
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrussell View Post
I knew an old farmer who had a crystal set in one of his barns (some distance from the farm buildings). He used to listen to the cricket on Radio 4 LW, with the nearby couple of km of fencing forming the aerial. Claimed it was better than the radio in the house. I think it was just an excuse for him to spend some time away from his wife (whom nobody liked). Sadly when he died the barns were cleared, along with the crystal set.
Just after trying this.
I have access to a electric fence wire that runs around some fields, it is approximately 1 Km long. I disconnected the fence controller from the wire and hooked up an old crystal set, for the purpose of the test I used a diode instead of the crystal.
The performance from the wire was disappointing. I could just about hear RTE1 on LW.

Using the braid of the coax that's going around the shack I can hear RTE1 allot louder. I think that the coax is picking up the signal from the mains ( the coax travels in the same conduit as the mains wiring) as with the shack disconnected from the mains there is no reception.

Maybe some form of ATU might help as this crystal set has only a variable inductance.
The connection to the wire was some where in the middle of it, with the wire traveling of in different directions around the fields.
I measured the resistance of the wire to earth is was 4 MR.

The capacitance to earth I measured with a bridge and it is 20 nF, maybe it's too high for it to work as a aerial?

Frank
Old 4th Oct 2011, 4:29 pm   #20
newlite4
Octode

A happy ending to my tale of aerial vandalism. The neighbours agreed to let me install a fifty foot aerial right down to the bottom of the gardens where there is an iron post mounted in the wall. I used electric fence insulators from Mole Valley Farmers. The installation is a good deal better than the old one being longer and further away from sources of interference.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	56923   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	56924