UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2020, 3:03 pm   #41
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: The Philips VR2414 V2000

Over Scart it would/should not matter.
You probably would have been better off looking for a UK machine as without an understanding of the implications of problems you may encounter when mixing different standards crops up.
It could be that the machine is simply faulty in the AV/recording side of things.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 3:14 pm   #42
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Over Scart it would/should not matter.
You probably would have been better off looking for a UK machine as without an understanding of the implications of problems you may encounter when mixing different standards crops up.
It could be that the machine is simply faulty in the AV/recording side of things.
I would’ve done gladly the issue is the ones which come up for sale in the UK are always crazy priced and generally don’t work.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 3:14 pm   #43
Red to black
Nonode

No idea what the pot beside the scart is for, I am not familiar with that particular machine, I did however in a former life carry out many, many sound conversions both ways between System I and B/G for a large importer/exporter customer of ours.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 10:14 am   #44
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
No idea what the pot beside the scart is for, I am not familiar with that particular machine, I did however in a former life carry out many, many sound conversions both ways between System I and B/G for a large importer/exporter customer of ours.
Yes don't worry about the sound spacing if you are coming out the scart as that should be baseband anyway...

...and being an advanced machine I would have thought Philips would have provided in a menu somewhere, switching between Pal regions in the RF department anyway to make it a universal European machine to save hassle and costs...but obviously don't know the machine.

If you're able to get in the machine, you could try picking up the sound from the sound input to the modulator...if it is there you would obviously know the recording circuits are ok.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 8:15 pm   #45
Maarten
Dekatron

I don't think any V2000 had such features. The only brand to have menus back in the mid 1980's was Akai and even they didn't do that. It was cheaper to have different machines for different regions.

It's a bit disappointing this one doesn't seem to have taps on the transformer, but this was an eco model after all so every cent counted.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 8:52 pm   #46
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I don't think any V2000 had such features. The only brand to have menus back in the mid 1980's was Akai and even they didn't do that. It was cheaper to have different machines for different regions.

It's a bit disappointing this one doesn't seem to have taps on the transformer, but this was an eco model after all so every cent counted.
Yeah, i was surprised it didn’t have the taps either. I actually like the machine though, the playback and picture search works well.

I just wish I could figure out why no audio is being recorded over SCART. I also tried my Jvc GR-C1 Camcorder Using its demodulator over RF too and no sound captured over RF either.

I know I am unlikely to make any serious recordings tbh but I’d have liked it to have worked. Seems to capture a decent image just wish it had sound.

When playing a job lot of tapes which were obviously recorded by someone else in another machine they seem to play perfectly fine with full sound.

Can you use the din connector for capturing audio? It has like a 5 pin din on the rear I was gonna hook up to a tape deck but am not sure of the pin out just to see if it recorded audio.

Is this any sort of issue you have come across before?

Picture of it in the setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8482601-7A67-4480-8345-B7C4556AB30D.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	209143  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 21st Jun 2020 at 9:03 pm.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 12:13 am   #47
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Wasn't that the point of harmonisation? Everyone kept their traditional mains voltages, but the definition was widened to include them all. Modern equipment should be designed to work on any, unlike vintage sets that needed taps for their intended market.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 2:02 am   #48
kan_turk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quote:
Wasn't that the point of harmonisation? Everyone kept their traditional mains voltages, but the definition was widened to include them all. Modern equipment should be designed to work on any, unlike vintage sets that needed taps for their intended market.
Well - no actually - Ireland and a number of other countries moved from 220v nominal to 230v nominal in keeping with the spirit of the agreement
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 2:08 pm   #49
Maarten
Dekatron

The definition was initially widened somewhat, waiting for the actual voltages to move closer together. Also, this isn't modern equipment. Only a few years later Philips labeled most equipment 230V or 220-230V.

@Ryan_1993: unfortunately I haven't encountered this problem and I don't really have a clue. Maybe the seller can help?
Closed Thread