UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2017, 3:38 pm   #1
ct92404
Pentode

Default Restored Kent radio

I posted a topic a while back about this little vacuum tube radio I bought from an an antique shop recently. I couldn’t tell much about it, but after some help from this forum and some online research I did, I was able to figure out that it was made by the Atwater-Kent company in about 1940, and the model number is 9822. It was in really bad shape and needed a lot of work, but I was so intrigued with it that I had to get it.

I replaced most of the capacitors as well as the dial lamp. The radio obviously also needed a lot of cosmetic work. The case is made out of wood, but it was covered with some kind of fabric. The fabric was really dirty and grimy and peeling off, so I decided the best thing was to just take it off and paint the wood. It was a lot of work - I had to scrape the covering off in some places! I repaired the wood and patched it with putty, and then sanded and painted it. I also made a new wooden back cover, and a handle with material I got from a craft store. It was a lot of work, but I was really happy with how it turned out! It was definitely worth it!

So now that I have the radio fixed up and working again, I thought I would show some "before" and "after" pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_161038.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	137411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_161150.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	137412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_005132.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	137413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_005243.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	137414  
Old 11th Feb 2017, 5:34 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Restored Kent radio

Because this is a valved (tubed) radio, ought not there to be some ventilating holes in that back cover. You have made a very good job of restoring that cabinet. The radio now looks as good as new, albeit different. By the way how active is the AM broadcast band in your area nowadays?
Old 11th Feb 2017, 5:41 pm   #3

I thought this was going to be the classic "All American Five" I can only see four valves (tubes) is it a straight set? Looks good, I was going to say a few extra holes in the back might be a good idea, then I saw it is an American set used in America, much less heat as no dropper is needed. 110V has it's advantages!

Old 12th Feb 2017, 1:53 am   #4
ct92404
Pentode

Thanks for the kind replies!

It might be kind of hard to see in the picture, but there are 4 rows of fairly good size holes in the back cover. (I don't remember what size drill bit I used). I figured that should provide enough ventilation. I've left the radio on for several hours and it doesn't get any hotter than any of my other tube radios.

There are only 4 tubes, but the circuit is connected the same way as "All American Five" radios, with the tubes in series to work with 110-120 volts. There isn't any power transformer.

The AM band is still widely used in the United States, mostly for talk radio shows. And this little radio actually has pretty good reception! I can pick up several local stations, and a station in Los Angeles, which is about 60 miles from where I live

- Chris
Old 11th Mar 2017, 6:18 pm   #5
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct92404 View Post
So now that I have the radio fixed up and working again, I thought I would show some "before" and "after" pictures!
Great job of restoration!
The radio was made by Air King products of Brooklin, NY around late 1939, early 1940 and is a four valve TRF design. Atwater Kent was out of the radio business by then.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 6:56 pm   #6
paulsherwin

We do see a few American radios of that type over here. I think they were supplied under lend-lease during WW2 and just fitted with a 'curtain burner' resistive line cord to operate on 240V. The lack of LW coverage wasn't a problem as the Droitwich national LW transmitter had closed for the duration of the war.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 7:48 pm   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

Nice job my sort of radio restoration ,Mick.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 7:56 pm   #8

Mad suggestion, two in series on 230V mains?

Closed Thread