UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2015, 12:51 pm   #1
zens.tv
Retired Dormant Member

Default CD spindle/sled motor brush cleaning tip

Hi all, I have been applying the following method of cleaning motor brushes on CD decks for some time now with good results.

I very rarely need to replace motors.

I supply roughly 1V5 to each motor, then spray a touch of WD40 inside slot at rear, let the motors run for 3-4 mins, reverse the polarity, spray a touch more, then run for about same amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spindle & sled motors.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	102695   Click image for larger version

Name:	psu.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	102696  
Old 17th Jan 2015, 4:32 am   #2
FrankB
Heptode

Default Re: CD spindle/sled motor brush cleaning tip

I have done that trick for years on CD and DVD motors in the repair shop I contracted at. It works well almost all the time.

I would suggest NOT using WD40 though, on any electronics.
I have nothing but nightmares on equipment people have used it on. Besides collecting dust and "creeping" all over.
It is devastating on slide and rotary pots, and will ruin motor/generator brushes in a heartbeat. (I am still trying to find brushes for my generator in the small motorhome because someone "cleaned them" with WD40.)
Old 17th Jan 2015, 10:24 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Yeah - the WD stands for Water Displacer. I am a member of a group called Greenkeys, whose "thing" is old teletypes. The absolute no-no is getting a reluctant machine going with WD40. It frees up and everything works for an hour or so. and then it seizes solid. Basically the WD-40 mobilises all the old hardened grease and washes it into the mechanism. Once the solvent base of the WD40 evaporates it leaves grotty old contaminated grease deep in every moving part. The only recovery is complete dismantling (a massive, car engine level of complexity, job), cleaning every part and reassembling with the right lubricant.

Other than a bike chain, or the distributor and spark plug leads of a Mini in damp weather, I steer clear of WD40 like the plague.

One of the best things for lubricating motors (eg record deck) is sewing machine oil
Old 19th Jan 2015, 11:34 am   #4
zens.tv
Retired Dormant Member

strange,as it seems to have works ok for me on small CD motor brushes for ages.

i only use a very small quantity

out of interest,what do you guys use to remove carbon from the brushes on small motors,that cannot be accessed due to motor being sealed ?
Old 19th Jan 2015, 4:37 pm   #5
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Interesting thread. When I worked for EMI in the 70s on tape recorders for harsh environments, anything with a silicone in it was banned as the vapour produced silicates (good insulators) in the presence of sparking ( such as on brushes), rapidly writing off the motor. Silicone rubbers were the main problem ! I think WD40 has a silicone base (?) so something to watch though not connected to the grease migration issue.

Ken
Old 19th Jan 2015, 7:16 pm   #6
paulsherwin

WD40 has been discussed many times. It's basically white spirit (what Americans call Stoddart solvent) with some light mineral oil. The white spirit dissolves dried on oil based contaminants which are then moved aside by the normal operation of the motor / switch / whatever. It then evaporates over a few days leaving a mineral oil film. This isn't a great long term lubricant but is better than running a dry bearing.

It's useful stuff if used properly but it's neither a miracle spray nor the spawn of Satan. Unfortunately product marketing and half understood word of mouth recommendations encourage the general public to use it inappropriately and in grossly excessive quantities.
Old 19th Jan 2015, 7:23 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zens.tv View Post
out of interest,what do you guys use to remove carbon from the brushes on small motors,that cannot be accessed due to motor being sealed ?
I would try a blast of air, followed by a blast of isopropyl alcohol. And when that's all evaoprated, I would finish of using your technique, but with Servisol10 switch cleaner.

Nick.
Old 20th Jan 2015, 3:39 pm   #8
zens.tv
Retired Dormant Member

hi Nick.have tried isopropyl,but found it was not as effective

one other spray which i have tested seems to work quite well

it's manufactured by a company called Wynn's,& it's basically used on cars to remove carbon deposits from brakes.

bought it from Halfords ( Wynn's,brake & clutch cleaner )
Old 20th Jan 2015, 3:55 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's a handy tip, Zen, thanks.

Does it cause any damage to plastic as far as you know?
Old 20th Jan 2015, 6:18 pm   #10
zens.tv
Retired Dormant Member

only ever sprayed it inside slot,at rear of those CD turntable/spindle motors,therefore not sure what it does to plastic.
Old 20th Jan 2015, 7:57 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Brake cleaner is indeed a very useful solvent, and available from many manufacturers.
Avoid skin contact though - like most aggressive degreasers, it can cause nerve damage over time.
Old 21st Jan 2015, 3:19 pm   #12
zens.tv
Retired Dormant Member

thanks for the tip.didn't have a clue about the nerve damage issue.

the one i use is a spray,therefore not that much in the way of skin contact
Old 21st Jan 2015, 4:22 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...but plenty as an aerosol (mist) which can be breathed in, I suppose

One to use outside?
Old 21st Jan 2015, 4:48 pm   #14
richrussell
Heptode

I believe a lot of the nerve damage stories relating to brake cleaner (especially when hot) refer to older formulations that contain certain chlorinated compounds which have been illegal in the EU for a very long time. Though not necessarily in the USA.

It is however quite good at dissolving quite a lot of types of plastic. Carburettor/intake system cleaner is less aggressive, but can still dissolve soft plastics if left in contact for longer than a few seconds.
Old 24th Jan 2015, 9:30 pm   #15
gezza123
Heptode

Never tried on it cd motors, but I used to wash my (model boat 550 engines out) with distilled water for 30 seconds then dry in airing cupboard.

A bit like this, so if you have an old small brush motor and try it I would like to know the results for them.good luck.
Gezza123

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/art...nderwater/6638
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub 002 [desktop resolution].jpg
Views:	177
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	103175  
Old 8th Feb 2015, 7:15 pm   #16
sp10mk11
Octode

we used revive Cd spindle motors the same only with Servisol switch cleaner, I never understood why the 80s Pioneer CD motors would go faulty so quickly when the Philips transport that used the same motor would last for ever....almost.
Closed Thread