UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2017, 2:24 pm   #1
ct92404
Pentode

Question Need help identifying "Kent" radio. (Identified as a Kent Model 9822).

I just bought a small vacuum tube radio from an antique shop, and I'm having trouble finding any information about it. It has a name "Kent" on it, but I've never heard of that company before. I looked the name up though, and apparently they did make a lot of radios, beginning in the 1920's. My radio doesn't have any model name or number that I could find. It's a pretty simple radio, made out of wood. What is really unusual though is that it only has 4 tubes, and I've never seen ones like these before. They're big tubes, and two of them have a connection on top. The tubes are 12k7, 12J7, 35L6, and 35Z5. I'm thinking that the radio might be from the early 1940's, since I've read that in the 1950's they started using smaller tubes. But I'm really not sure. I'm still pretty new to collecting and restoring these antique radios. I was just really fascinated with the tubes this thing has.

There isn't any power transformer, so the tubes are apparently connected in series to work with 120 volts. The radio has a standard 120v AC plug (well, standard here in the US.)

It needs a LOT of work, but it's an interesting little radio. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of radio this is, and what time period it might be from?

The back cover is missing. I don't know if there was supposed to be an antenna coil on the back. It's also missing a small light bulb that must be to light up the dial. I've read that in a lot of radios, the bulb actually limits the current to the tubes. What kind of bulb would I need to replace it with?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions in one post! Thanks to anyone who can help. I've attached pictures of the radio. (Sorry about the bad quality - I just took them with my cell phone).

- Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_161038.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	136409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_161150.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	136410  
Old 24th Jan 2017, 2:41 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Need help identifying "Kent" radio

Looks like the one here (scroll down to "Kent"):

http://www.oocities.org/televisionci...ios/index.html

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:30 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Or here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kent_9822.html

No pic, but the valve lineup fits.

This may help:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbym...4/M0000444.pdf

The valves are all common -GT (Glass Tubular) octal types. The set itself is a basic TRF or 1-V-1 (RF, detector, AF). The odd curly loop on L2 might be something to do with a degree of fixed regeneration on the detector.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 24th Jan 2017 at 6:37 pm.
Old 27th Jan 2017, 6:54 am   #4
ct92404
Pentode

Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been busy with the radio!

The diagram at the RadioMuseum link indeed seems to be right - which means it's a Kent Model 9822 radio, made in about 1940. I decided to just take off the fabric covering from the case, since it was really grimy and peeling off anyway. That was a LOT of work though! A lot of scraping, sanding, patching with wood putty, and then I painted it. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a lot better now!

I replaced the dial light bulb and some of the capacitors that were obviously bad. I powered it up and got the tubes to glow and got sound from the speaker. There were no signs of any shorts or other major problems, which I was really happy about. But there was just a loud hum, which of course most likely means the filter capacitor is bad. So my next step is to replace that. I'll also have to wind an antenna coil, since the back cover and antenna are missing. Hopefully, in the next couple of days or so, I'll have this little radio working!

- Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_213603.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	136561  
Closed Thread