UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2014, 8:39 pm   #1
uk_snowman
Hexode

Default Replacing Potentiometer with thinner spindles: tip

I dont know if this has been posted before, Sorry if it has.

Most rotary Potentiometer you buy now days like the ones in Maplin have thinner spindles than the vintage ones, Making it harder to fit control knobs back when one has replaced the Potentiometer.

The answer I have found that works, Since the spindle is made from plastic and once I have cut it to the correct length I then cut a cross at the end of the spindle using a junior hacksaw. Now the control know will fit nice and snugly.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 9:37 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacing Potentiometer with thinner spindles: tip

That's interesting, I would never have thought of doing that.

Have you ever tried joining the old spindle to the new pot's one?

Nick.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 10:00 pm   #3

This is the 6mm vs. 1/4" (6.35mm) inch problem, unless you are really fussy it doesn't matter.

Old 22nd Dec 2014, 10:09 pm   #4
uk_snowman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Have you ever tried joining the old spindle to the new pot's one?
No I have not, Have you? As I would think that would be quite awkward
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 1:22 am   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've joined spindles together, there's a particular (non-wireless) application that needs a very long spindle. I take a new pot and drill and tap a 2.5mm hole down the centre of its shaft (easy enough to do in a vice). I do the same with an extension piece (I've used shafts from old pots, bits of plastic and brass 6mm rod) and then join the 2 with a screw with the head cut off or bit of threaded bar. I loctite the thread, I suppose superglue would do.

The application is for a speed control on a type of lathe in a large machine shop and I havent had one back yet and they get a battering!
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 11:00 am   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've solved this by using some suitably-sized shim-brass (available from model-makers shops) to make up a very-thin-walled tubular sleeve to go round the spindle. It's sufficiently thin that the tip of the knob's grub-screw will form a dent in the brass and then engage with the control's spindle so providing a good grip.

It even works on spindles with a machined 'flat'.
Old 21st Jan 2015, 6:19 am   #7
vu2nan-nandu
Pentode

My parts supplier had plastic moulded hollow spindles to fit on to slender-moulded-spindle Philips potentiometers!

Regards,

Nandu.