UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2019, 1:37 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default ScrewFix PP9 batteries

Seems like a bargain to me - if you can find a branch that stocks them: -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-pp9...questid=293781

Last edited by DonaldStott; 26th Jun 2019 at 1:43 pm.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 1:49 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: ScrewFix PP9 batteries

They're listed as "Clearance" - which means I'd carefully check the use-by dates!

Still, at that price even if they only have a few Joules of electricity left inside, the cases can be opened-up and either restuffed with AA NiMH calls or a mains PSU fitted inside (I've got several old PP7s here which now each house a little 9V SMPS).
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:15 pm   #3
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
They're listed as "Clearance" - which means I'd carefully check the use-by dates!
Noted - this Thread should probably be Deleted as I may have been too keen.

Can't find any branch of ScrewFix that has any of this Clearance stock!
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:59 pm   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

Same here, I tried Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury ones, all nil stock unfortunately.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 3:32 pm   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

these have been on special for a while I picked up 5 some time ago(16/08/2018) at £1.94 each not in stock but could have for next day collection

there was a post on here at the time
Old 26th Jun 2019, 5:20 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

This is the link to last year's thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148617

At the time you could order them for delivery to any branch via click & collect. Don't think that's the case now. I suspect that the remaining few being sold for 49p will be some months past their date. They are zinc-carbon batteries.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 26th Jun 2019 at 5:27 pm.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 3:36 pm   #7
chriswood1900
Octode

I have just been looking to get some PP9s for stock and use in my Hackers, Screwfix has them listed at 50p but I can’t find anywhere with stock. The best price I found locally was B&Q at £3.65, however this was a clearance price as they are no longer stocking them. They are part of Kingfisher the same group as Screwfix. Next best price was at the electrical wholesaler TLC at £3.96 in tens.

Hopefully stocks will remain at others such as Wilko, the electrical wholesalers will keep them for a while as they are listed as spares for backup lighting, although I have no idea what they fit!
Old 20th Jul 2019, 10:17 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

I don't use them myself, but noticed that my local Wilco had several on the shelves @ £4 a couple of days ago, as well as lantern batteries.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:04 pm   #9
Electronpusher0
Nonode

My local B&Q is selling PP9s at £3.65 clearance. sell by date 09 2020

Peter
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:17 pm   #10
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: ScrewFix PP9 batteries

Our Wilco shop in Rugby has a few PP9 batteries left, Ever Ready Silver 02/2020 expiry date. £4.00 each.

Christopher Capener
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:19 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

The B&Q ones (Diall) mentioned by Peter will probably end up being sold by Screwfix at an even lower price as the best before date approaches since B&Q and Screwfix are both part of the Kingfisher group of companies. It seems likely that this is how last year's Srewfix £1.94 offer came to pass.

I think one of the difficulties for the remaining retailers selling PP9s is that zinc carbon batteries have a short shelf life relative to alkaline equivalents and I don't think anyone makes alkaline PP9s now. Couple this with low demand and it probably won't be long before PP9s join the obsolete battery ranks.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 22nd Jul 2019 at 12:37 pm. Reason: Additional comments.
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:59 pm   #12
FIXITNOW
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post

I think one of the difficulties for the remaining retailers selling PP9s is that zinc carbon batteries have a short shelf life relative to alkaline equivalents and I don't think anyone makes alkaline PP9s now. Couple this with low demand and it probably won't be long before PP9s join the obsolete battery ranks.

Alan
I think you are right I have been keeping the old plastic cases and cleaning them out to fit a 6 AA holder inside as I can see it coming when we can no longer get them
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 1:22 pm   #13
chriswood1900
Octode

Just a follow up to my post #7 mine were also dated 09-2020.
Looking at small selection of the PP9 bodies I have saved the moulding marks and printing all seem the same, perhaps they are all from the same Chinese factory because the branding now just seems to be a sticker.
I have been saving the plastic bodied PP9s to make holders for 6 AA batteries, it is pity someone has not come up with a design to make a proper PP9 sized and terminated unit with space for 6 AA, perhaps a project for those with a 3D printer!
Chris
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 6:12 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I think I'll pop into the local B&Q tomorrow to see if they've got any of these left. Could do with a couple to make up NiMH rechargeable-packs for my Roberts R24.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 9:07 pm   #15
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

A 3D printed one might cost as much as one from B&Q.
I've made them from card and used cheap PP9 clips from ebay. Easier than B101 packs.
I also have some from B&Q and other sources with the base cut open. Sometimes I use a 4 way + 2 way AA holders back to back (double side foam tape) and sometimes 2 x 3 way. Stiff foam packing to stop parts rattling. The €6 in B&Q isn't too bad. I didn't buy ones from Halfords a few years ago as ALL their batteries were years past their use by date!
I maybe have more than 10 sets using PP9s. The least likely being a clock radio, no prizes guessing the brand. Some sets take two. Was that only Hacker and Roberts?
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 9:48 pm   #16
music-centre
Heptode

Philips did some 1960s sets with 2 PP9s - I have got a couple of L3G03T like that, they work well.
Steve.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 12:06 pm   #17
DonaldStott
Octode

Don't want to hijack or deviate this Thread but can someone look at my Post #41 here: -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=157828&page=3

Many thanks.