UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2010, 2:24 pm   #1
LukeG83
Hexode

Default Telephone fault - advice welcomed!

Hi I have a wall mounted 741 rotary dial phone. Been in house years and was converted by BT to a modern plug - and continued to work well.

Anyhow, when calling or answering the line is now very poor - crackly low volume etc.
However sometimes if you dial, or if you hold your finger slightly on the reciever without cutting off the call the line clears??

Any ideas what the problem may be (in laymans terms!) would be most appreciated.

I am still on a BT line and plugging another more modern phone into the box gives a clear line to the exchange.

Thanks Luke
Old 28th Aug 2010, 4:27 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone fault - advice welcomed!

Do you mean holding your finger slightly on the cradle-switch, where you replace the handset, or the receiver (the thing in the handset that you place next to your ear)?

If you mean the cradle-switch it sounds like you have dirty contacts in there. I think a 741 has a sealed micro-switch in it. There's a cct-diagram here, and you can disconnect the switch terminals as appropriate and buzz them out, although it might be just as easy to fit a new micro-switch from a 'scrapper'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Aug 2010, 5:07 pm   #3
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi - sorry for the confusion - it is the cradle switch.

Can new switches be purchased? Anyone got a spare I could buy??Thanks
Old 28th Aug 2010, 5:23 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Your best bet is probably eBay. Assuming that this uses the same switch as the standard 746, they crop up quite frequently.