UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2017, 6:14 pm   #61
hans
Heptode

Default Re: A poor old HMV at the Recycling Centre...

Someone got in trouble when some kitchen cupboards were fly tipped by the "new owner". The original buyer gave away some cupboards that were specially ordered 20+ years back. On the backs there were order numbers that stll were traceable. There was no name or adress.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 9:24 pm   #62
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Re offering private 'waste' for collection, how can such items be distinguished from conventional second-hand goods if fly-tipped?
Presumably, if the cupboards in the above example had been sold to the new owner, the old owner would have had no further responsibilty for them. What's the difference?
Old 8th Dec 2017, 10:00 pm   #63
Station X

The difference is what a court of law decides to believe or not believe.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 10:35 pm   #64
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

These days if you're handling waste as a business [whether it comes from individuals or businesses] you need to be licensed.

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

[And places like recycling/tip facilities also need to be licensed as "waste transfer stations"]

IMHO only right, as I've been a victim of flytipping - which I had to clear away at my own expense.

If you're taking 'waste' from a recycling facility (to which it's been delivered by a member of the public) you'll need a licence. And you need to keep proper records.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 1:35 pm   #65
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Our local centre has started to charge for some items that they don't classify as household waste. That includes kitchen cabinets, plasterboard and numerous items similar to ones you or I have quite probably got rid of in the past as householders. I await the increase in flytipping. TVs are classified as household waste for the moment.
As our village is some distance away from the site we have a monthly skip arrive in the centre to take rubbish away. The guys on these are great - I've been allowed to remove all sorts of things, though coming away with more than I took isn't the cleverest thing to do!
When I visit Bristol I see there are always things left outside for people to take away. I'm always mindful that things I might regard as useless are in fact handy to some people (as the owner of the old TV didn't realise) so I often leave them with a 'FREE' sign on them - I rarely have anything left by the evening.
I remember refusing a 26" Thorn 3500 for repair when they were getting unrealistic. Inevitably I was driving home when there it was by the side of the road, brick through the screen. Of course I had to clear it all up and dump the remains - lesson learned.
Glyn
Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:28 pm   #66
LukeG83
Hexode

Our local skip (Garstang) was closed a few years ago by the council. Last year a charity helped to reopen it. They get pick of the stuff which they donate to people who are being rehomed. Everything else of any use is sold in a Portacabin - bargains to be had by all. They sell everything from furniture, electrical items, bric-a-brac. All el;ectricals are PAT tested prior to sale. Another bonus is that it is all cheap!

I also like the fact that if you see something being donated, for example an old lawnmower, and it takes our fancy, the centre will arrange to test if for you and will hold it till next week for you to collect once it has been deemed safe for sale.

Someone is using their common sense, reducing landfill and generating money for charity! Long may it continue.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 7:55 pm   #67
emeritus
Dekatron

A local Councillor mentioned that, in our area at least, while operation of waste disposal sites is the responsibility of the County Council, responsibility for clearing fly tipped waste lies with the local Council. Thus charging for disposal of certain types of waste that then gets fly tipped, is a double benefit for the County Council: they get the revenue for disposing of the legally dumped stuff and they save the cost of disposing of the fly tipped stuff. Naturally, he doesn't think this is fair.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 10:00 pm   #68
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hey Luke, that's really great! I hope they weigh what they sell as well as record what it raises - so they can keep a spreadsheet saying 'x tonnes not landfilled, £y raised'.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 1:10 am   #69
RT 1006
Tetrode

With regards to that TV, I would have reversed my car up to the container and just taken the thing then driven off. If you had time to take pictures of it you had time to put it in the back of your motor. What's the worst that could happen? They call the police. The police have barely got the time to investigate burglaries these days, are they going to be bothered to investigate someone who's lifted an old telly from the local dump? At worst you'd get a knock on the door and told not to do it again. A few years ago I rescued a mint TV22 from my local dump. I didn't bother asking if I could have it as the answer would likely have been NO so I just took it. I just need to find the time to restore it now.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 2:33 am   #70
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hey - civil disobedience! I took a nice pushbike under similar circumstances - sometimes the deal is too good to be worth the risk of asking.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 6:47 pm   #71
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
With regards to that TV, I would have reversed my car up to the container and just taken the thing then driven off.
Which is what I have done in the past

Mark
Old 16th Dec 2017, 6:55 pm   #72
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

They've thought of that at my local tip!
Items have to be tipped over a low wall to a skip several metres below, rendering them inaccessible and often ruining them in the process.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 7:49 pm   #73
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Which is what I have done in the past
Many of us did similar, myself included, but times have changed. Such activities are now unlawful (probably always were actually) and are being actively enforced by more and more authorities. One may be willing to accept the consequences and take the risk, but please don't encourage others to break the law.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 8:00 pm   #74
Scimitar
Heptode

Sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness, than permission! Plod will be too busy looking for "hurtful" comments on Farcebook, so no bother from them. ;-)
Closed Thread