UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:12 pm   #1
50sqnwopag
Retired Dormant Member

Default Stopping mould growth on wooden cabinet.

I've put my harwell box back together again after 2 or 3 yrs of it being in bits and wondering which way to go regards preserving the plywood/my health....
Currently it's bare ply and 2x2, the wartime pics I've seen, they either look bare or painted white ply (?) some official bumpf has them as being painted black inside.
I'm thinking of either painting the ply white or black or varnishing. It will be kept in a brick garage all year round and in the past has had mould start up on the plywood (interior,exterior and the edging).
Which would be best do people think?

thanks
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:39 pm   #2
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

Default Re: Stopping mould growth on wooden cabinet.

If you want to paint it white and can find a source for it then I would have thought that genuine white lead paint would be the answer. It was probably what was used originally from what you say about its former age and situation but, as I've said, I've no idea where you could obtain it these days.
Old 20th Jun 2016, 2:40 am   #3
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlourtw73vs View Post
If you want to paint it white and can find a source for it then I would have thought that genuine white lead paint would be the answer. It was probably what was used originally from what you say about its former age and situation but, as I've said, I've no idea where you could obtain it these days.
Don't muck around looking for white lead pain. Just sand it down, and give one coat of epoxy primer (or two coats if you are feeling generous, second coat before the first one goes off), then apply a couple of coats of marine epoxy with specified curing time and a light sand between coats.

That will discourage damp, mould, and wood-eating insects (it really hardens the wood and insects won't touch it), let it cure fully, lightly sand on the outer surfaces, then give it whatever top coats you want, acrylic, oil-based or aerosol in the colour(s) of your choice.

Cheers

Billy
Old 20th Jun 2016, 5:44 pm   #4
50sqnwopag
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies. I've already coated it in woodworm treatment (hopefully it does the trick).
Closed Thread