UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2017, 3:37 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Restore an HMV 2127

My wife has bought this rather lovely HMV 2127 record player which she wants me to restore to working order for use on a daily basis. I'm happy to give it a go but I can't find the information I need to undertake the project.
  • Does anyone have, or know a source of, the service data for this model?
  • Does anyone have, or know where I can get, operating instructions for this particular turntable?
  • Are there any specific issues relating to this make and/or model?
  • Is there any modifications I should include if I want to use it on a daily basis?

I am not a complete novice to valve technology, although I have never tackled a record player, so all information and help will be gratefully accepted.

It utilizes an EZ40 rectifier and an ECL83 for the audio and going by this plus the look of the record player and turntable, I guess it dates to the late 1950's. It's a lovely looking item and I particularly like the way the turntable slides out when you open the front of the cabinet. It would have been nice if it was stereo, but I guess you can't have everything.

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 01).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	153480   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 02).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	153481   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 03).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	153482   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 04).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	153483   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 06).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	153488  

Old 6th Dec 2017, 4:10 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Restore an HMV 2127

The electrolytic can may have a date on it, that may help to date the unit. The ECL83 was introduced in 1957.

The amplifier appears a straightforward triode Pentode audio amp and full wave rectifier, shouldn’t be too difficult to sort out. The deck I know nothing about, perhaps not too kind with records but someone will know. The cartridge if original will probably be faulty but it not it’s more than likely mono records only.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 4:29 pm   #3
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Frank, I'll have a peek at the electrolytic next time I take the panel off.

The cartridge, which rotates, has one needle marked 'LP' and the other marked '78'. Is there a chance the cartridge could damage a stereo LP? I had assumed it would play a stereo LP without damaging it, but it would just have mono sound.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 05).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	153501  

Last edited by SurreyNick; 6th Dec 2017 at 4:34 pm. Reason: typo
Old 6th Dec 2017, 4:38 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Someone will be along to confirm if it’s compatible, I don’t know, the number looks like GP67-2G, is that corrrect?
There are a couple of posts on the forum one says yes the other no, but there was some discussion.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:04 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Yes, it's a very old Acos GP67 cartridge from about 1960, and is definitely for mono records only. It will wreck stereo records.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:08 pm   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

The problem (as I understand it) is about the vertical compliance of old styli - ie, a stiff old stylus will not track the vertical component of a stereo record very sympathetically - especially bearing in mind the greater tracking weight of older tonearms - so it rather depends on what is fitted. I love the look of that old autochanger and I am looking forward to finding out what it is. Is it just me - or is the overarm on the wrong side of the record spindle?

Barry got there just before me. Nice work!

Last edited by RojDW48; 6th Dec 2017 at 5:09 pm. Reason: intervening post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:17 pm   #7
SurreyNick
Heptode

Yep it's a GP67-2G cartridge. Is there a mod which will allow my wife to play stereo LP's? She will be gutted if she can't play her much loved record collection!

Yes, the overarm is on the wrong side (well spotted), but it lifts back over the centre spindle easily enough. Don't know if this means it's broken, that's why I need the operating instructions for the turntable. The 'ONREJ' and 'OFF' buttons don't stay down when they are pressed either. They click but don't stay depressed.

N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:25 pm   #8
RojDW48
Nonode

You will probably need to change the cartridge anyway - to something like a BSR X5M or H, which takes an LPS (stereo) stylus with a flip under 78 tip on the other side (or - I think - a mono LP).
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:33 pm   #9
SurreyNick
Heptode

Oops! Just learned that I should have been saying 'deck' where I have said turntable.

Can anyone tell me the make/model of the deck and where I can get operating instructions for it?

Thanks

N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:38 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Deck, turntable, I shouldn’t worry about it.

Where is the speaker, cannot see one in the photos?

Check the mains voltage tapping as well it looks in the middle setting but I cannot read the writing.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:41 pm   #11
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thank you RojDW48. It's good to know I can change the cartridge for one that will play stereo records.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:46 pm   #12
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Where is the speaker, cannot see one in the photos?
If you take a look at picture 2 in the opening post you can see it tucked away in the back right corner of the cabinet. The output hole is on the right hand side of the cabinet - pic below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV 2127 (forum 07).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	153506  
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:54 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Just a guess, Plessey turntable?

Lawrence.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 5:54 pm   #14
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Check the mains voltage tapping as well it looks in the middle setting but I cannot read the writing.
Very well spotted Nuvistor. I hadn't spotted that and might have missed it altogether! As you rightly say it's sitting in the centre spot on the 220-XXX voltage. I can't see the upper range in the selection of pics I have taken so far of the innards, but I have made a note to check it when I take the panel off tomorrow.

Thank you

N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:05 pm   #15
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Just a guess, Plessey turntable?

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence. I did a quick image search under 'Plessey record deck 1950's' and the same deck appears to be included in the HMV1611 and that is described as a Plessey, but nothing more specific. If I can get copies of the service data and operating instructions for my model that might be as much as I need.

N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:19 pm   #16
ms660
Dekatron

Can't tell exactly from the picture in this Plessey sheet...but it might be worth a go?:

http://www.service-data.com/product....74/6314/e14974

Lawrence.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:22 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, this is a Plessey 3 seed autochanger from 1953/4 and not the easiest to work on.
You will definately need a new cartridge, ideally a BSR X5M which is mono only, but stereo-comaptible. This won't damage your Wife's LPs, but you must get the tracking weight down to 5 grams or less. I don't know what was paid for this HMV unit, but the cartridge wll cost c. £37.50. Please don't take any offence, I realise you may like its styling, but this HMV is not necessarily the best basis for a record player to use for Stereo records. It's essentially a Pre-Stereo unit.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:48 pm   #18
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thank you Edward, and please don't worry about giving offence. My wife didn't pay very much and I'm happy to pay out for upgrades/mods if it will result in her having something she can use on a daily basis. She's not concerned if she can only listen in mono, just that she can use it to play her vinyls.

The only thing I don't want to do is replace the deck and £37.50 for a new cartridge to be able to use it seems good value to me. I would appreciate some guidance about the 5 gram tracking weight you refer to. Will just changing the cartridge for the BSR X5M be enough, or is there more that I will need to do?

One other question on the cartridge. Would I be better going for a BSR X5H over the X5M? From what I have just read the X5H is for high gain and is necessary where there is just one audio valve, which is all this model 2127 has.

Thanks

N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:49 pm   #19
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Can't tell exactly from the picture in this Plessey sheet...but it might be worth a go?:

http://www.service-data.com/product....74/6314/e14974

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence. I will give it a try.
N.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:56 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The ECL83 is a triode Pentode, two valves in one envelope. The amp will need some checks before spending any money just in case there are expensive items that have failed.