UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2010, 10:07 am   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default 'Leather' Cases For Bush Radios?

When I first started collecting vintage Bush transistor radios, some with cases, I was of the understanding that the cases were made of leather, information gained by reading these boards and from seller's descriptions on auctions.

Now, having now acquired several different models of Bush transistor radios, some with 'leather' cases in poor condition which needed attention and, having taken the case apart, they are not leather at all but a soft plastic material (with a look-alike leather finish) bonded onto a cloth material.

I did find a reference to the material used, which was Neohide but can't find any further details of it and wonder if anyone else has knowledge of this material.

Further more, how come it's fooling some well respected collectors on here, as they refer to it as leather, but I soon found out it isn't?

Last edited by camtechman; 2nd Aug 2010 at 10:09 am. Reason: spelling error
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 1:51 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: 'Leather' Cases For Bush Radios?

Hello Tony,

I've got 3 Bush transistor radios with 'leather' carry cases, a TR104, TR114 and a VTR103. I'm not sure if the TR104 and TR114 cases are leather, but the VTR103 case definitely is. I don't think any of the similar Murphy transistor sets have genuine leather carry cases. None of the Bush transistor radios have leather covered cases, most are vinyl or rexine. Only USSR built transistor radios built up to the mid 1970s usually have genuine leather carry cases.

Howard
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 5:45 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Only USSR built transistor radios built up to the mid 1970s usually have genuine leather carry cases.
And quite a few far-Eastern pocket sets
Old 4th Aug 2010, 4:42 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

And the Dynatron Tourist, whereas its Ekco counterpart had to make do with a flimsy vinyl affair...

Definitely not a leather case with my TR114. It's quite a different substance from that used for Murphy B385 carrying cases, which I've seen referred to as Neohide: the Bush version is much softer and (at least after all these years) more flexible, and doesn't have the same propensity to shrink.

Paul
Closed Thread