UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:25 am   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Danish Oil v Tru Oil

I was wondering if any one has used the above Oils when refurbishing their Radio Cabinets, and with what results?
I only discovered about Tru Oils after looking for information on utube. In another thread I’m restoring my BB.
John
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 9:42 am   #2
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Danish Oil v Tru Oil

I've had very good results using Danish Oil on several of my projects. As with anything like this preparation is the key factor. I'm the first one to admit that my wood working skills are very limited. Secure any loose/lifting veneer first, a smear of PVA under it then tape or clamp down. I then strip the old varnish using very fine wire wool & either cellulose thinners or acetone (nail varnish remover) wiping down frequently with lint free cloths. If you go down this route then make sure the area you are working in is very well ventilated, the fumes are quite pungent. Others advocate the use of cabinet scrapers, the choice is entirely yours, whataever you are comfortable with. Once the cabinet if free of old varnish then I usually leave it a few days to thoroughly dry out of any residue of solvents. With Danish Oil you have plenty of time to go over any areas again as it takes between two to five days to dry off, this is dependent on ambient temperature, again make sure the area is well ventilated. Danish Oil can be obtained in a variety of shades so, again, the choice is up to you. In the first picture you can see on the right hand side is the old finish & the second shows the finished cabinet. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3494.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	202022   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3498.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	202023  
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 10:08 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've been using Danish oil on radios for twenty years and have always been pleased with the results. Although it's not liked by some, because it's not an original finish, I prefer to use it because of it's ease of use and it's reliable results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
In another thread I’m restoring my BB.
John
Here's the restoration story of my black box finished with Danish oil https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=85562

Regards
David
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:26 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Wow David what a wonderful job you did on the cabinet I’m very impressed.
How did the paint stripper work for you, I found it a right messy job and I’ve only done the top of the lid?
You also seem to have a decent gloss how did you achieve that?
I only asked about Tru Oil because it seems to give a harder finish and more gloss, according to what I could see on utube.
John
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:29 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

I should have said thank you also to Beardyman for your reply I have noted your comments and I’m impressed with the finish on your Radio Cabinet.
John
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:06 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

In reality Danish, Teak, Boiled Linseed and Tru oils are all linseed oils with small quantities of added drying agents, varnishes and sometimes dyes. Tung oil is very similar except that it's based on oil extracted from the nuts of the Tung tree. Exact formulations vary between manufacturers and brands. In practice there's little to choose between them in my experience other than the higher prices charged by the big brand names.

The beautiful results achieved by Beardyman and David may not be applicable to John's project unless he decides to strip the whole cabinet as I mentioned in his other thread.

Alan
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:47 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

One warning if you're new to using these oils:

Linseed oil based stuff, if left soaked into a rag or even kitchen roll paper has a habit of spontaneous combustion. Don't leave rags etc used for it lying around in the house, it could start a fire.

THere are some funny reactions which can go on in all sorts of things. I found a cardboard box in the attic which had an area charred and blackened as if it has been on fire in just the area that a stainless steel sample square (A teapot 'blank', honest!) had been resting against it. Scary!

David
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:53 pm   #8
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I'm sure its been said before but don't forget that rags / cloths / wipes that have been used to apply linseed and Danish oil can spontaneously ignite in air.
There are videos on Youtube showing this.
Cloths used to apply these oils should be put into water when finished.

Peter

Edit, crossed with Radiowrangler - great minds etc...................
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:25 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Wow David what a wonderful job you did on the cabinet I’m very impressed.
How did the paint stripper work for you, I found it a right messy job and I’ve only done the top of the lid?
You also seem to have a decent gloss how did you achieve that?
I only asked about Tru Oil because it seems to give a harder finish and more gloss, according to what I could see on utube.
John
Hi John,

It was done in the good old days when you could get paint stripper that worked! It is very important to remove all the old finish and dust, if you sand, before applying Danish Oil. I always apply three coats of Danish oil leaving a day between coats. The old rags are laid flat outside until they are dry before binning them. I always use a Tung oil based Danish oil, which seems to be common but I have heard that sometimes Danish oil can be based on other things?

Regards
David
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:35 pm   #10
FIXITNOW
Octode

I use kitchen roll to apply the oil and a rubber glove when finished I keep the paper in a ball in my hand and remove the glove over the top of it stretch it and knot it leaving the cloth/paper inside sealed and the air excluded
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:46 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

I wouldn't underestimate linseed oil's combustion potential when drying although it hasn't happened to me in many years of using it. However, I never seem to have an endless supply of clean rags and in view of the number of coats needed to get a good finish that supply can soon disappear. My solution is to use an old saucepan with a lid where the rag is stored until the next coat is applied. Any metal container with a lid should suffice. Sheets of kitchen roll are another alternative but they need to be disposed of safely. Just chucking them in an outside bin could have unpleasant consequences. Whatever method is used cutting off the supply of oxygen is the key.

Alan
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:54 pm   #12
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
I always use a Tung oil based Danish oil, which seems to be common but I have heard that sometimes Danish oil can be based on other things?
Some Danish oils do indeed contain tung oil and some are made using linseed. The thing is that the term 'Danish' doesn't really mean anything and manufacturers just come up with their own formulations. Having used various brands of both tung and linseed based oils I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Others may have a different impression of course.

Alan
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 6:25 pm   #13
John10b
Nonode

Thanks for information, had H&S stopped getting paint stripper that’s works?
That may be the reason I had so much difficulty removing the lacquer from the lid!
John
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:21 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's been fairly well covered here. The general consensus is that your health is more important than your sanity!
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 8:34 am   #15
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Bill, I took look at some other posts on the subject and yes it’s looks like only the ‘weaker” solution is available to the public, thank you all for your replies.
John
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 9:34 am   #16
Syrinx1
Pentode

You might find that the oil / cleaning causes the grain to rise, so remember to lightly sand on earlier coats, then as the coats build up you can rub with fine steel wool. After the last coat for a gloss, buff / polish with wax. In my experience, tung oil gives better gloss, whereas the danish oils I've used tend to a more satin finish.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:23 am   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

TruOil looks interesting to me on the basis of a couple of YouTube videos. I've steered clear of Danish Oil because, while it can certainly bring out the beauty of the grain, I don't think I've yet seen a cabinet treated with it that didn't have a just-been-done look which would make it stand out a mile in a row of well-preserved sets in their original finish. It's up to the individual restorer what his or her goal is for the finished item, and mine was always a cabinet looking as though it had led as gentle as possible a life since leaving the factory. French polish seemed the easiest way of approaching that result although it wasn't widely employed in the industry of the '30s-'50s.

Paul
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 12:30 pm   #18
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx1 View Post
In my experience, tung oil gives better gloss, whereas the danish oils I've used tend to a more satin finish.
As mentioned above Danish oils can be based on either tung or linseed oil. I think the variable that affects the degree of gloss is the proportion of varnish used in the formulation. Unfortunately manufacturers are not very forthcoming with such details which isn't helpful when trying to select an appropriate product.

Personally I prefer oils which have a lower varnish content as the level of gloss can be controlled, to a point anyway, by adjusting the number of coats applied. They also seem to cure more quickly so that repeated applications can be undertaken more rapidly.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 3rd Apr 2020 at 12:54 pm.
Closed Thread