UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:17 pm   #21
ajgriff
Octode

Default Re: Black Box Cabinet

I wouldn't relish stripping the rest of the cabinet either. I like oiled finishes but if only the top is treated in this way there will be a marked contrast between it and the unstripped high gloss surfaces. It might be better to think in terms of staining the top and spraying with clear acrylic lacquer. To achieve a gloss surface this would require repeated rubbing down and respraying. Time consuming because of the need for each coat of acrylic to harden thoroughly between rubbing down. Fench polishing is another option of course but one I wouldn't consider in this instance.

Alan
ajgriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:37 pm   #22
John10b
Octode

Default Re: Black Box Cabinet

Thank you for your replies, if I could point you to another thread I opened “Danish Oil v Tru Oil” . In the replies David completely stripped a BB cabinet and used Danish Oil with outstanding results, well worth a visit, it put my small effort to shame.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote