UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2020, 1:06 pm   #21
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Regentone A155 Radio

That's the same chassis as that fitted to my RGD version.
I never did work out the purpose of the rear panel sockets close to the GRAM and L.S. sockets. There's no mention of them in the user guide for the radio and there's no aperture in the back panel to allow access.

John
Old 20th Apr 2020, 5:50 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

If it's the socket I think you mean, the trader sheet refers to it as a 'test panel'. It's used to connect a 'scope to the detector stage when aligning the set.
Old 20th Apr 2020, 9:49 pm   #23
music-centre
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
I noticed the speaker grill is tarnished over the opening but came up quite bright where it is over the wood. Is there a recommended way to improve its appearance?
I think I would just remove the chassis and speaker and use one of those kitchen/bathroom spray products on the speaker grille with a toothbrush.
You could respray it but it always looks too "new" in my opinion.
Steve.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:55 am   #24
Sparky67
Heptode

Hi all,

All of the waxy paper caps have now been replaced, the valves removed and the electrolytics are being slowly reformed, successfully so far. I only have a 150V DC supply so going to have to think about where another 150V can be found...!

Another couple of questions if I may. Can the electrolytics be reformed using raw rectified DC and relying on 150V-worth of reforming to do the rest, or does it need to be smoothed at source? Also, the large 1.5k ‘HT smoothing’ resistor is high in value. Would a 7 or 10W replacement resistor be suitable and is a wire-wound any advantage?

I am going to have another go at improving the speaker grill finish today. Kitchen cleaner, toothpaste and chrome cleaner are on the list of cleaners and abrasives to attack it with!

Thanks

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C363890-F108-4CD0-A1A6-039CCE83D699.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	204370  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 11:31 am   #25
ms660
Dekatron

The power dissipated by the 1.5k resistor should be approx. 0.9 Watt.

A 2 Watt job should do.

Lawrence.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:11 pm   #26
regentone001
Heptode

hav you tried the radio yet before changing everything? I have had several of these radios and the radiogram versions through my hands and have had to change very little.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 6:29 pm   #27
Sparky67
Heptode

Thanks for the advice on the smoothing resistor. That makes life a bit easier!

The grill came back nicely with some Cillit Bang foaming cleaner and the recommended toothbrush.

I didn’t try it before changing the higher capacitance couplers and decouplers. I presumed there was a reason it had been relegated to his loft all those years ago so took the expert advice and replaced the likely failed, or failing caps first.

The smoothing caps were reformed today at 250V, they came back quite quickly. So I bit the bullet and switched it on, and apart from noisy switches and noisy VHF tuning it all appears to work OK. And it sounds very nice compared to modern radios!

All working except for the EM80 magic eye tuning indicator that is... What should I be seeing there?

Thanks.
Martin

Last edited by Sparky67; 30th Apr 2020 at 6:41 pm.
Closed Thread