UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2008, 2:31 am   #1
ricshooter
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: schaub-lorenz music centre 5001

Hi
Thought your forum would enjoy my farther's Schaub Lorenz 5001 machine. As a child it was an interesting item but never thought it could be such an interesting item. My friends and I realised it is an incredible time portal and that it should be imortalised before it dies! So with some pain at learning Flash I have set up an interactive web site for all to enjoy www.time-portal.info Streaming audio is a bit fussy but on the whole it works pretty well.
All the best
and enjoy
Ric
Old 4th Jun 2008, 12:18 pm   #2
paolo
Heptode

What a great machine and a great site. Good to see you preserving this little bit of our technological past!

Paul
Old 4th Jun 2008, 2:13 pm   #3
ricshooter
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul. It was a bit more work than anticipated, so it's really great to hear that it is being appreciated. If you visit the site do browse the tracks. I suppose due to oxidisation or use, the further in the tape the better the quality. Also little broadcast gems from the 60s and early 70s are tucked away all over the recordings.
Ric
Old 4th Jun 2008, 5:34 pm   #4
reelguy
Heptode

Brilliant,
Always wanted one of these.
First saw and heard one owned by a chap in Malvern . Worcs.
Another tape recording enthusiast unfortunately I forget his name.

Thanks for putting it on the Forum .
Sounds great and the pics are very clear and informative .
Only problem I had was that the buffering timed out.?.
So I could only play a couple of tracks.. Does anyone have any ideas ?.
Anyway, Well done.

Peter W ......Reelguy
Old 4th Jun 2008, 10:22 pm   #5
ricshooter
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
This has only just been put on the web, so if you have any difficulties please do send a comment. I have increased the timeout length but this will not stop you listening to any more tracks, it just resets to the beginning so you don't have to wait a really long time.
To keep the simulation as close as possible (and for the most interesting experience) when swapping tracks it will start playing the next one at the same time in. This means the next track has to download that far and this takes some time. There is a built in time out function which just returns the machine to the beginning of the next track. Just click play.

NB. Remember to be careful with the pause button. If this is selected the unit won't play even when the play button is in. That's the way it was designed.

Thanks for your feedback
Ric
Old 5th Jun 2008, 3:29 pm   #6
Rob_Lewis
Retired Dormant Member

What a crazy machine. Could one change the tape in it? I can't quite see how you'd get 48 hrs worth of tape in the cabinet, especially running at a claimed 10.5 IPS.
Old 5th Jun 2008, 3:31 pm   #7
Rob_Lewis
Retired Dormant Member

Just noticed-it's 46 hours & 10.5 cm/sec.
Old 5th Jun 2008, 4:31 pm   #8
ReelToReel
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ric

May I congratulate you on a super job, the site is excellent.

I have one of these wonderful machines in my collection like yours its packed full of vintage radio, Fluff Freeman etc when I get time I will transfer the audio from it for safe keeping.

I have had it for quite a few years and every so often I fire it up and it still sounds great.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Mark.
Old 5th Jun 2008, 7:34 pm   #9
ricshooter
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mark

If I have the time I might put up more machines. Haven't decide yet. It takes a looong time to do.

Although, if you are interested in recording the audio by line connection there is a pin connector at the back for the tape mechanism output only. It is located furthest top right of the pin socket. There are earths on the 3rd and 4th pin sockets in from this. A PC with a sound card should accept this signal fine. I did find that it made a difference to hum from the machine depending on which way the live and neutral were connected to the mains plug.

thanks again for the great comments, makes the project all worth while
Ric
Closed Thread