UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2020, 6:08 pm   #1
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Default Anyone here do Apple Macbook repairs?

Just wondering if any of you do such things? I have a 2009 Macbook pro which was working beautifully, and was surprisingly nippy for an old core2duo machine, I plugged it in to charge the other night just to be met with a POP! and a few sparks shooting out the side by the USB ports, the green light was still on the charger lead, which was very quickly pulled! I had visions of exploding lithium ion batteries, so decided it best to quickly open the base and pull the battery, just to be safe. Luckily it wasn't the battery, which was flat as a pancake anyway, and after a good search with a torch, I found the culprit on the logic board, one of the capacitors had a hole blown in it, and a meter said it was shorted, removing it cleared the short, and upon connecting the charger the green light came on and the battery charge indicator began to flash, but pressing the power button produced nothing... A check with the meter showed no voltage on the pads where said capacitor was, so I went on a hunt for a dead fuse, and I think I found one! 12.5V one side, and the other side, connected to said exploding capacitor 0V, rather than stick a bit of wire across it for a test, I decided to use the bench power supply, set to a low current, plugged the charger in, applied the 12V when the light came on, and hit the power button, and to my surprise the fan spins up, and I get the folder ? on the screen, and it seems to draw about 1.5A from the power supply, so it looks like I've managed to get away with just needing a new fuse, and some new caps, nice and easy! Well, it would be if I knew what rating the damn fuse was! it's just a white thing, looks to be a 1206 size, so that's why I'm hoping someone on here has repaired these things before, I don't want to go bunging any old fuse in there. The capacitor that exploded was marked '68 C93' so I guess it's a 68uf, but no idea on voltage rating, so anything above 12V should be ok. Hopefully I've attached some pictures!

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7910[1].jpg
Views:	97
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	221302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7907[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	221303  
Old 26th Nov 2020, 9:00 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Default Re: Anyone here do Apple Macbook repairs?

After much searching I've managed to find out what bits I need, the fuse is 7A, and the caps are 68uf 16V. I found the schematic for several Apple Macbook models here , and also got some free software to look at the boardview files from here.

Now to find some replacement bits!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Closed Thread