UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2020, 7:45 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Installing new B7G valve base

Just Google for "PTFE B7G valve base".

The usual ones are 'skirted' for use with a screening-can, but you don't need to fit a can.

Or https://mullard.org/products/copy-of...ve-bases-b7g-1

and look at the "Amphenol PTFE" option.

I always use either PTFE or Ceramic valveholders when I'm building oscillators and such .
Old 1st Feb 2020, 8:06 pm   #22
Luxman1050
Octode

Cheers
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 2:38 pm   #23
Chindit
Tetrode

De-soldering, straightening and removal of each two-fingered 'tine' in turn and replacing them with unused ones taken from a new, old stock valve holder has worked a treat for me on many of my battery sets, including 'biggies' like the ER Sky Emperor and Sky Monarch. No problems since.
You don't even have to fully straighten the replacement ones before you fit them - they will give enough as you push them in place.
As mentioned by many, if left alone, these valve holders are a constant source of poor or non-existent connections, leading to erratic LT voltages and inexplicable failures.
Colin.
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 6:01 pm   #24
bluepilot
Heptode

I recently bought a load of "Copper Brass Eyelet Hollow Tubular Rivets Through Nuts Hole Grommets" from a Chinese supplier. They come in all sorts of sizes and lengths.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 7:24 pm   #25
Luxman1050
Octode

Cheers Stuart must say quite a response so I've got plenty of ideas to choose from.
Old 1st Aug 2020, 11:34 pm   #26
clockman
Pentode

Amazing number of posts to this problem i have located on my ultra twin the third valve base is faulty and i must replace it i have ordered 2 Mcmurdo bases from ebay and i will use nuts as most of you suggest
Old 27th Aug 2020, 10:04 pm   #27
antenna441
Tetrode

Just found this thread and thought you might be interested in my approach. I have never changed a complete valve base, in line with what others have said. I have changed many individual connectors. I have a collection of 50+ Attache case radios which seem to suffer badly from fractured forks. I put this down partly to the rigidity of the components closely soldered the valve holder, stressing the connector when valves are changed.
My testing sequence is as follows.... Visual check. o/p transformer check. Valve base check. Complete waxy c change. I'm a just change them and not bother to restuff for the look, sort of person. Testing the valve bases is the problem, so I made a test unit. A 7 way rotary switch and a test lead terminated in a B7G plug. It's really easy to use and the results are reliable. One of my Vidor Regattas required 11 replacement contacts all quickly identified. I attach a picture of my test unit. the difficult part, was sourcing the B7G plug The phrase rare as hens teeth comes to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test box small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	214431  
Closed Thread