UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2020, 2:57 pm   #1
GJM1973
Diode

Default HMV Stereomaster 2330 - Speeding Up

Hi - new to this forum.

I bought a HMV Stereomaster 2330 yesterday and it's in magnificent condition - it's the first time my kids have had a record player and they are loving it.

The issue is that it appears to speed up occasionally for no obvious reason.

I'm guessing it has never been serviced and it may need this.

So... anyone have any idea what the issue could be and where would you go to get one serviced?

I live in Berkshire.

Appreciate any advice.

Glen.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 6:17 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Stereomaster 2330 - Speeding Up

Hi, and welcome.

My advice would be to make it clear whether you want to know what the actual problem is and try to fix it yourself, or whether you don't want to touch it and see if you can get someone else to repair it for you. If the latter, then this thread will be moved by the moderators to a different section asking for repair services only. Once your post is moved, members will not be allowed to offer advice on repairs in that section, only offers of actually going to your house and repairing the gram there, or taking it away for repairs will be allowed under forum rules.

I'm guessing this is a large radiogram type set (more information required) and if it is, then most people won't want something this big in their workshop etc. and folk won't travel distances for nothing, so it could be expensive. My advice would be to have a look at it yourself (with advice from members), seeing as it's likely to be a mechanical issue. With a normal deck (more information regarding the make and model of record deck fitted required from yourself - a Garrard possibly?) there's nothing that can cause intermittent speeding up other than the idler pulley catching on the next higher speed step on the motor - are you absolutely sure it's speeding up, and not that it's actually slipping and running too slow and then speeding up to normal?

In the unlikely event that it's not a conventional mechanically controlled deck fitted to your gram, then it could be an electronic control type fault, but we need more information on the deck and whether you're looking to fix it yourself, or try to find someone else to do it for you. A picture of the deck would help, as a quick search on your model number didn't throw up an exact match, but I admit that I didn't search very hard.

Last edited by Techman; 3rd Aug 2020 at 6:22 pm.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 7:51 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Stereomaster 2330 - Speeding Up

This is a fairly compact HMV Stereogram using a BSR C series deck. It's any easy fix for a nearby Member in the Home Counties. However, if the OP wants to "have a go," he should study the many Stickies up above that deal with Autochanger issues.