UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2020, 4:38 pm   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default Refinishing the "A" and "B" on payphone plate

I have a payphone with the A and B letters finished in white enamel on the front plate. I want to get the plate powder coated (Gloss Black) but not sure how to re-apply the A and B lettering.

Has anyone done this before?
Old 9th Jul 2020, 5:46 pm   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: Refinishing the "A" and "B" on payphone plate

Water-based acrylic satin white looks good on the background you plan. Model paints from Humbrol are what I have used in a similar application. I tinted the white to get an off colour white that suited my purpose. I tiny touch of yellow acrylic satin did the trick.

Paint number 130 is the one I used. Ensure you use the water-based acrylic as I found their enamel paint chipped too easily whereas the acrylic is a closer match to the original A & B paintwork.

Colin
Old 9th Jul 2020, 8:14 pm   #3
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camallison View Post
Water-based acrylic satin white looks good on the background you plan. Model paints from Humbrol are what I have used in a similar application. I tinted the white to get an off colour white that suited my purpose. I tiny touch of yellow acrylic satin did the trick.

Paint number 130 is the one I used. Ensure you use the water-based acrylic as I found their enamel paint chipped too easily whereas the acrylic is a closer match to the original A & B paintwork.

Colin
Thank you Colin, did you use tape guides to do the numbering or just let it settle in the indentation?
Old 10th Jul 2020, 10:48 am   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClick View Post
I have a payphone with the A and B letters finished in white enamel on the front plate. I want to get the plate powder coated (Gloss Black) but not sure how to re-apply the A and B lettering.

Has anyone done this before?
Have you seen eBay item 313122610023 'GPO A B Coin Box decal stickers' ? Looks like quick neat easy way to achieve your aim.

I have no connection with the seller!
Old 11th Jul 2020, 8:18 am   #5
camallison
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by camallison View Post

Colin
Thank you Colin, did you use tape guides to do the numbering or just let it settle in the indentation?
I very carefully (steady hand) filled the indentation, ensuring the surface was grease free first.

Colin
Old 11th Jul 2020, 5:11 pm   #6

To fill in indentations I have used a bow pen, worked quite well, now I use the eye end of a needle, it does take more fills but doesn't shed loads of paint all at once.

Old 12th Jul 2020, 2:56 pm   #7
BigClick
Hexode

The lettering is quite wide, do you mean outline it with a bow pen and fill in with a brush?
Old 12th Jul 2020, 3:09 pm   #8

I use the same tool for all parts, make a bit of a puddle and then move to the outsides. Have a rag damp with solvent (water for acrylic, white spirit for enamel) at hand for the odd mistake. Giving the thing a wipe with said rag first helps with flowing the paint.

Once you get the hang of it it is good fun.

Old 13th Jul 2020, 6:37 pm   #9
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I use the same tool for all parts, make a bit of a puddle and then move to the outsides. Have a rag damp with solvent (water for acrylic, white spirit for enamel) at hand for the odd mistake. Giving the thing a wipe with said rag first helps with flowing the paint.

Once you get the hang of it it is good fun.
I will give it a go next time I am on the tools
Thank you
Closed Thread