UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2020, 9:38 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Nearly scrap RAP's radio

This RAP's chassis was destined to be scrapped, but somehow I just couldn't do it , parts missing were ,all the valves the push/pull tx smoothing capacitors ,most of the components in the audio stage. Having downloaded the circuit ,I was able to rebuild the audio stages fitted a output tx and smoothing choke ,filled it full of valves , the time came for the big switch on ,having checked for any HT shorts etc, will it work! well it did for a while then when changing the waveband switch I saw a puff of smoke coming from within the depths of the switch bank ,I can't remember the exact words but clucking bell comes to mind.
I considered over a what to do ,well of course I am going to repair it so out came the switch bank after disconnecting no fewer than fifteen connections.
The unit was striped into it's separate sections ,I could see the burnt wafer and smell it , I would normally drill out the burnt part ,but in this case that was not going to be an option , then I happened to notice that the tone switch was made from the same wafer, rob the tone switch so that is what I did ,but the fixed and moving parts were of course different , do I give up err no why not drill out the rivets from the faulty one and fit the contacts in the donor wafer, I used 1mm yes 1mm screws and nuts to fix the contacts . skip an hour or so I had the thing back in the chassis , will it work well thank goodness it did ,apart from no L/W this was due to an o/c coil which I was able to repair . All this and no cabinet or dial am I or what . Oh I cleaned the chrome chassis and painted the IF cans and the mains tx bell . All good fun. Notice the six ba screw along side the 1mm screw. yes I did notice the contacts were touching 3rd pic these were adjusted before re fitting . Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0038 (2).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	209447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0022 (1).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	209448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0037 (2).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	209449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0026 (2).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	209450  

Last edited by vinrads; 25th Jun 2020 at 9:53 am.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 11:18 am   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Nearly scrap RAP's radio

Cripes, what a job, and all done for the love of it. That deserves another pint!
Old 25th Jun 2020, 12:08 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Yes I agree ! A very brave man! I have a RAP in my collection- it doesn't work and I remember looking under the chassis once! I won't be recapping that!
Well done what a job!
Old 25th Jun 2020, 12:21 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

The two I have.
I have the remains of a console set in the attic, the set was dismantled when I got it with a fairly rough cabinet. ISTR that has push pull output so maybe your chassis is from a console set?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_120914.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	209453   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_120946.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	209454  
Old 25th Jun 2020, 1:27 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That chassis looks lovely all on its own! You planning on making a cabinet for it?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 25th Jun 2020, 1:59 pm   #6
philthespark
Pentode

Very nice, but I have to wonder, was it the love of the thing that kept you going, or like me, sheer ****** mindedness? Incidentally I think anything electrical should carry a warning label, !!!! WARNING DO NOT LET OUT THE SMOKE !!!. Have you ever noticed how great things work until you let it out, conclusion, the smoke must be contained for the item to work. lol
Seriously well done for not giving up though.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 2:30 pm   #7
deliverance
Heptode

Nice going Mick.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 2:32 pm   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
The two I have.
I have the remains of a console set in the attic, the set was dismantled when I got it with a fairly rough cabinet. ISTR that has push pull output so maybe your chassis is from a console set?
Hi the first one look very much like the one I sold at Warwick, in the same condition I think I was asking £75 for it . Mick.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 2:38 pm   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

The console is a strange looking beast ,I have restored one and passed it on . Mick.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 8:11 pm   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

Admirable determination and perseverance there, I think my heart would have been in my mouth drilling out those rivets on those fragile old wafers! Must have been a big relief to get it all finished and working, but also very satisfying. I know what philthespark means, sometimes you just think, I've put enough effort into this already, I'm going to get it sorted one way and another and find some way round a seemingly terminal (pun not intended!) problem. Colin.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 10:30 pm   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head there Colin , Mick.
Old 26th Jun 2020, 9:21 am   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think you're brave too, looking at the switch. I think I'd have been tempted to put it all back on the pile! Not a five minute quickie anyway!