UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2020, 12:21 pm   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Fault finding query- various components

This is a central locking control module. A rogue current drain exists but I can't exclude the problem being the micro-switch which is elsewhere (and therefore drifting outside forum subjects)

I would like to ask-
1. Are the green 'resistor things' actually inductors?
2. Out of the following components where should they lie in the list of suspects?

-3 silicon diodes
-3 germanium diodes
-3 caps, One 100uF 'SME', Two 3.3uF (orange/brown in colour)
-2 transistors- BC 337-40
-11 inductors (?)
-2 relays
-Main chip- Toshiba 14 pin chip- TC4030BP 8536HB

(With 12v input 9v is present at the 'Zu' (closed) output terminal all the time- I have yet to fathom whether this is correct function.)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01613.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	202212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01614.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	202213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01615.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	202214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01616.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	202215  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 12:38 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Fault finding query- various components

Gentlemen. Can we keep this thread on topic please. No discussions about vehicles in general or central locking systems.

Thank you.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 1:14 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I would think the green things are resistors. It would be unusual to have a digital circuit with 11 inductors and no resistors.

The main IC may well be a 4030 quad XOR gate (in the 4000 series CMOS range). I have no idea what the difference between the 4030 and 4070 is, the Philips datasheets I have are indentical (apart from the number on the top) and I've seen ICs marked with both numbers.

How large is the excess current drain? Enough to suggest one of the relays is energised all the time? Or small enough that it's a leak through a capacitor or something?

Excess supply current could be a leaky decouplng capacitor (Is that 100uF across the supply, for example). It could be damage to the IC. That's what I would check first.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 1:24 pm   #4
eaglework
Pentode

I agree with Tony the green things are going to be resistors.
If its a single sided board you could consider reverse engineering the circuit to see if that is of any help in understanding how it operates.
All the components look to be standard with nothing exotic so you could consider testing each one after removing it from the PCB.
I had a similar issue on one of the family cars and it took some detective work even with OEM wiring diagrams to discover its was the alarm horn buried under the inner wing drawing 70ma when it should have been much less.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 1:48 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Thanks. The current drain is unknown but significantly high. It's very intermittent and coincides with one or more (remote) solenoids trying but failing to 'throw'.

(There is easy access to this module so my logic was to exclude this from the equation before looking for the more likely but more inaccessible gremlins elsewhere- which we won't mention)

Thankyou for allowing the thread Graham,

The PCB is indeed single sided although two of the diodes are hidden underneath the relays!

Dave
Old 4th Apr 2020, 2:13 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just a point and with all respect to what Graham has said I had a problem with locking and just followed instructions and re set the key fob.

Going back to the resistors you queried,what do they read and would that tie up with the markings ?They certainly look like resistors.

What I should have said is it drawing too much current for certain,not just a red herring for another fault.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 2:51 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Thanks. The current drain is unknown but significantly high. It's very intermittent and coincides with one or more (remote) solenoids trying but failing to 'throw'.

Dave
I wonder if is something as simple as high resistance on the relay contacts, they look easily accessible to clean.

John.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 9:16 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

This is an old stand-alone system, without IR transmit/receive, and outside of the controller itself is entirely electro-mechanical.
I will check and polish up the relay contacts first, then pull the largest cap. out of circuit and test it.

The system was powering up at random, so the current was not excessive as such, merely unwanted and discharging the battery.

Dave
Old 5th Apr 2020, 1:03 am   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

The smaller caps should be tested as well.

If there is no coating on the bottom of the pcb (as in waterproofing) it is possible that slight damp and associated dust could cause anomalous things to happen as the cmos inputs will be high impedance.
Old 5th Apr 2020, 1:16 pm   #10
The Philpott
Dekatron

Large cap. tested out of circuit, the meter says it's OK. Ditto, the smaller caps.
The relay windings both come out at 69 ohms so there shouldn't be weakness through shorted turns. There is continuity through the contacts, but will clean them to be sure. The static contacts have a stippled appearance (like the top of a 'fruit gum') from new, I am reluctant to remove too much material from them as there must be a reason for the texture.

The underside of the pcb is not coated. I will check to see if any conductive deposit exists.
Closed Thread