UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2006, 7:55 pm   #1
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Computer Automation Alpha 8 & 16, Naked Mini?

Has anyone apart from me heard of Computer Automation? searching with google I can find only one reference to an ancient sales brochure from CA on the whole of the web. At one time they were the 4th largest mini-computer manufacturer in the world!

I worked for Computer Automation and its spin-off companies in the UK from 1976 to 1992. The company manufactured minicomputers widely used in process control and data-processing. Eventually the company went down under the tide of competition from microcomputers. The man behind Computer Automation was Dave Methvin, the CEO. He was also the designer of the early products such as the Alpha 8, Alpha 16, LSI 1 and LSI 2. He made a considerable amount of money out of royalties from IBM whose entry into the PC market infringed his early patents regarding memory address range allocation. The first product I was aware of was the predecessor to the Alpha 16, the Alpha 8, as its name suggests an eight bit minicomputer. The Alpha 16 merely doubled up this concept built using DTL and TTL devices. The LSI 1 was an early excursion into large gate arrays which formed the arithmetic logic unit and sundry other parts of the architecture of the computer. It was a dismal failure and was not released on the market. It was superseded by the LSI 2 which implemented the same architecture using standard TTL logic.

From 1980 to 1986 I ran the repair centre in the UK and had to cope with Dave Methvin's philosophy of allowing the customers to do the final 10% of his research and development. As far as the UK and European market was concerned the death knell was sounded when the production facility was opened up at Clonshaugh in Dublin, taking advantage of tax concessions offered by the Eire government. Quality plummeted to such a marked degree that sales suffered. After that the company found it very difficult to complete with the proliferation of personal computers and embedded microcontrollers which were flooding the market. The last I heard of Dave Methvin he was designing the world's first 64-bit microcomputer in his garage! This must have been about 1987, his involvement with Computer Automation having been sidelined by board decisions.

Anyone else come across them?
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:40 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Computer Automation Alpha 8 & 16, Naked Mini?

Andy

In the late '80s I worked for Solid State Logic, the mixing console & pro audio company. At the time, they used the Naked Mini for the automation computer for their 4000 E and G series mixing consoles but I believe that projects were in hand to move to microprocessors for this function.

John
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:47 pm   #3
Andy Day
Pentode

I remember SSL. Were they based in Royston? I was on a training course with one of their guys, a lad of Chinese extraction. May have been about 1978?
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 9:22 pm   #4
jjl
Octode

Andy

When I was with them, SSL were based in Begbroke, near Woodstock to the north of Oxford. I believe that they're still there.

John
Old 19th Nov 2006, 3:11 pm   #5
coredump
Triode

A friend of mine at Uni in the mid-80s had one, a Naked Mini Alpha. We got it from an enthusiast in north London, and he called it Wilbur. My friend took it back to his room in the Uni halls and we ran it a few times. Don't know what happened to it after that, though.

John Honniball
Old 20th Nov 2006, 12:26 pm   #6
Rob_Lewis
Retired Dormant Member

The philosophy of using the customer as R&D is nothing new...
Old 21st Nov 2006, 3:13 am   #7
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not sure. But I seem to recall some of the early broadcast editing systems like CMX used the machines. They went on for a number of years until various other companies produced integrated systems using 8080's, Z80 and Motorola processors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
When I was with them, SSL were based in Begbroke, near Woodstock to the north of Oxford. I believe that they're still there.
Hoping not to get accused of too much thread drift. SSL are indeed where you say. I used to speak to a friend there that I had known for many years before he joined them. The chap in question was Mark Yonge. From what I last heard. He went on to manage the AES Standards Committee.

I also note one of your locations as being Ware. The home of Cintel. Which in the past was Rank Cintel and other arms of it. Also I remember visiting an aladdin's cave (1978) in the town that had some very nice old kit (mostly Marconi) and components for sale.

Trish
Old 21st Nov 2006, 1:33 pm   #8
jjl
Octode

Trish

You have a PM.

John
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 7:52 pm   #9
Andy Day
Pentode

Wasn't it Cintel or Quantel who made the kit that did all the flashy graphics on Top of the Pops etc? That would have been in the mid eighties or so. And the Company I'm thinking of was SSL, made recording Consoles etc. Now who the hell was it in Royston? One of the last CA users was of course BA freight who were still using CA systems with big old CDC 14 inch disk drives right into the 90's. And RAC insurance services at Hitchin too.
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 1:42 am   #10
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Day View Post
Wasn't it Cintel or Quantel who made the kit that did all the flashy graphics on Top of the Pops etc? And the Company I'm thinking of was SSL, made recording Consoles etc. Now who the hell was it in Royston?
Quantel made the equipment that was used to death on shows like TOTP.

The only audio related company I know that was near Royston was what was then Rupert Neve. They are based in Melbourn.

Trish
Old 30th Nov 2006, 9:20 pm   #11
Andy Day
Pentode

Hi Trish, amazing what a prod to the grey matter does, of course, Neve in Melbourne! Blame the forgetfullness on the ECT!
Old 8th Mar 2007, 2:57 pm   #12
Maindec
Retired Dormant Member

Brings back memories - I still have the programming card for the LSI-2.

My first job after leaving school in 1975 was with Micro Consultants, a sister company to Quantel. Micro Consultants used PDP11's and LSI-2's for data logging and similar applications. At this time, both systems had 8 inch single-density floppies. Access to these systems for development was limited, so we decided to write an RT-11 look-alike operating system for the LSI2, called MOSS-11 (Micro consultants Operating System).
A wrapper was written to make the CA programs think they were running under the CA operating system, whose name
escapes me, but seemed to use many IBM terms.
The only program I couldn't get to work in this way was the Fortran compiler - I suspect it used some attributes
which were not in the documentation I had.

I still to this day think that "CA" stands for Computer Automation, not Computer Associates!
Closed Thread