UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2021, 7:14 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Old LG CRT TV.

Does anyone remember the 32 fst crt tv made by LG, it wasn't the usual chassis and the set was called Delfinuim, sorry re the spelling. When you put it in standby you got a melody and it displayed a set of curtains that closed. I worked for them at the time but I can't remember the model number. A great looking tv and feature packed but I need a manual, anyone please?
Thank you
Old 8th Sep 2021, 1:57 pm   #2
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Default Re: Old LG CRT TV.

LG Lafinion? I found a service manual but cant upload it as its 10mb and the uploader only allows 4mb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_lafinion_82w_32_widescreen_tv_and_lg_dvd_vcd_cd_player_21005917.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	240867  
Old 8th Sep 2021, 2:15 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There is a download at this web site, I know nothing about the site,
https://www.download-service-manuals...e=LG-11568.pdf
Old 8th Sep 2021, 9:16 pm   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

That's the one both of you, I had forgotten about the twin tuners, thanks.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 12:26 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This of interest to me Tony. For a start I have traced my family to the Church District of Accrington from Bury/Ramsbottom. I bought a 32" CRT LG TV set in 1996 for £850 [half price]. I went to a local shop, half way up Bolton Road, to get my VCR serviced [on the advice of an elderly woman I was trying to help with the care of her husband] and saw three sets on sale. Amazingly my wife agreed to the purchase. I was so surprised that I forgot to collect the VCR at first! My set is very heavy, a sort of console really-the equivalent of a massive thirties RG. Great sound then because of the weight. The shop owner said "Where is it going? I said "The top Lounge of my 3 Storey house in Rammy. He looked at me and said.... "I'll get the team to deliver!" When it started to fail after a decade or so "down sarf", Gerry [Gazza] and others on the Forum warned there could be a cascade damage sequence in the audio boards and not to turn it on. I was away and my daughter did I've been encouraged to get rid of it since but thanks to Digit-Al, lots of sets were crushed [as with the famous car scrappage scheme]. I don't think there are many around now, after a quarter of a century. I moved it to another hiding place here in Bexhill only yesterday-not easy If any one else knows what I'm talking about please advise. I can't hope to repair it myself. Believe me 32" W/S was a really full cinematic experience back then. I watched the first BBC Glastonbury broadcast w/s live in Rammy, hot summer at home, recording on VCR plus easy access to toilets and the pub next door on Saturday night!
L G Model number WF-32A1AT Serial number 710NE 00001 No curtains-I'm jealous!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 9th Sep 2021 at 12:52 am.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 12:52 am   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Hello Dave, I know the chassis fitted to your set, they were a good seller. But the sets I was on about were something else. Twin tuners for picture in picture, I worked for Electricals4less in Accrington, next door to the Canine drinking club on Abbey Street. I'm out of the trade now due to dementia but I still live in Accrington. All LG sets were ok, and after working for Sony I thought they would take some beating but LG shone through. Their sets these days are a different matter, take care.
Tony Walker
Old 9th Sep 2021, 11:07 am   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Actually LG sets are still well regarded, especially the high-end models.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 3:23 pm   #8
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Actually LG sets are still well regarded, especially the high-end models.
to that Point, ive got two LG flat screens, one from 2013 that still works excellent albeit with out dated software but still an excellent picture and sound and has never given me an ounce of trouble.

i also bought a mid range LG for my bedroom 8 months ago and its incredible, fantastic picture.

I know some of their older lcds from 4-5 years ago had main board problems but these issues seem to have been fixed.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 3:50 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Correct - the BGA ICs were prone to dry joints which is serious on one of these. Heating and cooling would provide a temporary fix, but reballing's the only lasting cure. Scary!
Old 9th Sep 2021, 4:12 pm   #10
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Correct - the BGA ICs were prone to dry joints which is serious on one of these. Heating and cooling would provide a temporary fix, but reballing's the only lasting cure. Scary!
My Dad's 55" LG had that issue, the main BGA had dry joins and wouldnt display a picture. Solution i found was a replacment board via eBay, its been working fine ever since.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:45 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm still hoping my 1996 model can be repaired. I used to be joking really but the comparison with rare pre-war radiograms [ie scarce] seems to have come true! I don't think the big CRT sets will be turning up in attics or cellars. In fact there was/is a dedicated re-cycling Centre over in Kent that reclaimed every aspect of TV's. It started when things first went all FS and LCD in particular. Everything was ground up and reused in some way including the plastic cases, as the sales turnover rocketed! It was a fault with the sound that retired my CRT vintage machine. A bit like "boat anchor" radios, you didn't complain about the weight of the TV if you could manage to afford one Like the "Rolls Royce" AR88 receivers in their day I suppose! It also illustrates how the relative price of televisions has come down. I asked the dealer how he could afford to sell at half price. He'd said he'd gone to an exhibition in Europe and bought a job lot of four. One had a slightly bigger widescreen CRT so he kept that for himself. We got mine to the top floor of the house but it was a bit touch and go for the crew

Dave
Old 10th Sep 2021, 8:50 am   #12
toshiba tony
Heptode

It's coming back, that horrible clockwork remote control, what were they thinking!
Closed Thread