UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2017, 10:15 am   #1
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Pillar Drill Problems

Not exactly Vintage, but old. I have a pillar drill in my workshop. It has a Jacobs chuck which fits into the Morse taper on the drill. The problem is that when the drill bit hits resistance, the chuck falls out! I don't have any drill bits with a Morse taper, so I can't check if that works OK. In the back of my head I seem to remember that a bodge is to use a centre punch and punch some pock marks over the taper on the Jacobs chuck. That seems a bit harsh to me. The drill is an inexpensive Draper model, but is fairly well put together. Can anyone suggest a fix for my problem, short of suggesting that I get a new drill. TIA
Old 24th Aug 2017, 10:24 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Pillar Drill Problems

If you don't have a need to swap things around, clean the tapers well and apply some Loctite before reassembly?

Andy
Old 24th Aug 2017, 10:51 am   #3
Station X

Are you using good drills, or are they ground off centre, which in the case of a large diameter drills, will set up vibrations loosening the taper?

Using engineer's marking blue will enable you to find high any high spots on the male taper, which can be stoned away. With Jacobs chucks the taper can be changed for a new one so long as you have access to a suitable press.

You may find that your local model engineering society has Morse Taper reamers which can be used to "clean up" the internal taper. Be very careful though as removal of even a small amount of material will enable the male taper to enter much further.

If you're really desperate use grinding paste to grind the two tapers together.

The use of centre punch marks or adhesive is a bodge.

These taper fits were meant to be assembled and disassembled thousands of times and should be a very tight fit. To split the taper a wedge is tapped into a slot in the shaft, or in the cases of lathes a rod is inserted into the hollow shaft.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 11:50 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

After cleaning the taper have you tried lowering it firmly onto a block of wood to push it in a bit harder?
Old 24th Aug 2017, 12:49 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Check that the female taper has not split if its a cheap drill press. Ensure the end of the chuck taper is not bottoming in the drill column, it may be just too long.
Clean and degrease both tapers, a rub with emery cloth is a good move.
Fit chuck taper wet with water and smack it in with a block of wood.
Should then lock in.
Old 26th Aug 2017, 10:42 am   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Thanks for all the replies. A few things that I can check. I never thought about engineers blue. Takes me right back to my apprentice days 56 years ago. I definitely will not use the centre punch solution! Thanks again.
Closed Thread