UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2019, 12:09 pm   #61
pastyboy
Hexode

Default Re: 2019 Solihull TV Junk-Swap and Get-Together

Shame we couldn't come, thanks Mike double pasties next year it is ! instead we had a productive weekend moving my collection into work, stripping wallpaper, generally moving stuff around and getting the house ready to hand back. The good news (for me anyway) is that we will have lots more room for junk (and visitors) at the new place !

Sounds like a good day was had by all and hopefully some bargains at the NVCF.
Old 13th May 2019, 1:23 pm   #62
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil29 View Post
I bought the set at last years NVCF and after realising it was rougher than I thought when I glanced at it in the hall I put it aside and never attempted to get it going. and then I thought why not take it to mikes and see if anyone fancies a challenge and they did .

Cheers
Neil.
OK thanks for bringing it along, it was fun just to see it being worked on.
Old 13th May 2019, 1:29 pm   #63
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955APREN View Post
Thanks Mike for providing a very entertaining day good to see a old d/s mtv there one that gave John a big challenge.
John pleased to see that the set did not get the better of you, if it been me I would a gone for the Loptx
Richard
Thanks for being my navigator with my satnav and for for contribution regarding the m6 toll
Hope to meet you all again,
Kind regards
Derrick
You are welcome, I'll try to make it to the next Golbourne.
Old 13th May 2019, 2:00 pm   #64
threeseven
Octode

Adding my thanks for another great day at Mikey's!! I had to miss it last year due to family issues, so it was fantastic to be able to make it this year. Had some great conversations, had a catch up with old friends, heard some ace stories and indulged in much old electronics. Then followed it up with the NVCF, what more could you want?!
Old 13th May 2019, 2:44 pm   #65
G4XWDJim
Octode

Gary threeseven, I’ve just sent you a PM.

Jim
Old 13th May 2019, 3:43 pm   #66
TNC
Hexode

Just like add my vote of thanks to Mikey too.
What a great day! - wonderful fun, vintage camaraderie...and lots of tea!!

Thanks Mike for allowing us to trample all through your life!!

Trevor.
Old 13th May 2019, 3:56 pm   #67
chriswood1900
Octode

Thanks very much for hosting this Mike, as always a great event, good to meet up with friends. I look forward to many more.
Chris
Old 13th May 2019, 9:55 pm   #68
linescan87
Heptode

Finally got in the door about 8, totally wrecked! Good sailing with a calm sea. Myself and John had a great day at yours Mikey, thank you very much for your hospitality again. Great fun with that old GEC, amazing how well the tube came up! Did it find a home in the end?

Take care everyone and look forward to seeing you all again next year.

All the best,
John Joe.
Old 14th May 2019, 5:26 am   #69
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I had a great day too and it was brilliant to see lots of old pals. Many thanks to everyone for coming and making the day such an enjoyable one (especially John and Tim with their amazing fixing skills). Hopefully we can do it all again next year.

Thanks again all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 14th May 2019, 7:18 am   #70
beery
Heptode

Thanks Mikey for a great day again
I just love the chance to meet up with other collectors and watch some old programs on on telleys...

Cheers
Andy
Old 14th May 2019, 1:12 pm   #71
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

A big thanks to you Mikey, it was a superb day!!

I inadvertently left two small RF oscillator chassis there though that I brought for the junk pile that did not get claimed, I feel embarrassed about this and so I must apologise to you.

I so enjoy this meetup, it was fantastic, I got to meet up with and chat with lots of forum members and also stayed up late watching excellent (amusing) period programming over a couple of beers with Tone!

What was truly mind blowing though was watching that old dual standard GEC (2019?) come back to life on the operating table. I have never seen a set where the tube registers next to zero emission (after being bopped) display a watchable picture like that! - Superb!! Here's to the next!!

Thinking along the lines of "fixing sets" I was talking with another forum member on Sunday at the NVCF and we got around to discussing the excellent meetup event that Mikey hosts and an idea was hatched that I tend to agree with and that is that it seems a little unfair that all of these sets that get brought back to life at these events use Mikey's valuable stock of resistors, capacitors, valves etc.

Maybe when a set has been "got going" the lucky member who gets to take it home could pay for any components that have been used in the operation?

It wouldn't be a large amount of money and that way it also wouldn't leave Mikey out of pocket.

What do others think??

Cheers

Here's to the next
Old 14th May 2019, 1:58 pm   #72
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Lee.

Quote:
Maybe when a set has been "got going" the lucky member who gets to take it home could pay for any components that have been used in the operation?

It wouldn't be a large amount of money and that way it also wouldn't leave Mikey out of pocket.
Please don't be concerned about that old mate. The money that it costs for food and components is more than made up for by the fact I don't have to drive anywhere - All my pals come to me! What more could I possibly ask for than that...

Thanks for the suggestion though Lee but I really wouldn't hear of it.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Ps. The scrap metal men loved your VHF coil thingamabobs.
Old 14th May 2019, 2:11 pm   #73
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Hi Mike,

Well it sounds like you and the guys all had a wonderful day of telly chat and fixing I just wish I could have made it along to see you all again but not feeling very well put plans including the NVFC into turmoil for the weekend. Fingers crossed for next year.

I would love to see any photos of the ‘grand bash’ if anyone took some.

Cheers,
Marc.
Old 14th May 2019, 8:56 pm   #74
Colourstar
Octode

You were missed Marc!

It really is one of the highlights of the year and it's very brave of Mike to let everyone trample through his home. His generosity with the catering and everything else also knows no bounds. We are very lucky.

What could be better than talking telly matters all day with likeminded pals? If you ever hit one of those periods where enthusiasm for the hobby starts to falter, this is guaranteed to give you a re-boot!

Steve
Old 14th May 2019, 9:47 pm   #75
line sync
Heptode

Thank you once again for opening your house up for us mike.
I really enjoy this event and hope it continues for years to come.
I met a few new friends and tock some useful bits & pieces home from the junk pile.
A very enjoyable day.

Robin
Old 15th May 2019, 12:25 am   #76
hamid_1
Heptode

Just to echo what everyone else has said, and thank you Mike for hosting this event once again. It was great fun as always.

I was the lucky(?) person who ended up with the GEC dual standard TV. Thanks Neil for donating the set and for explaining its history. Mike used to have one in his collection that worked very well. I didn't see it there this time - perhaps he's passed it on? I was quite pleased to get hold of another GEC. Back in the late 1980s I had the 19 inch version - I found it dumped on the street. The field output transformer had an open-circuit winding - I got it working by replacing it with one from a scrap Bush A774 also found dumped outside. (Those were the days, when old tellies littered the streets.) Sadly I had to dump the 19" GEC due to a house move. This 23" one makes up for my long-lost 19" one.

Despite John's valiant efforts, it's still not working fully. There was no sound on 405 when I got it home and tested it. I didn't test 625 sound, but the line hold was out of adjustment. Hopefully I can get it working better, as long as the tube holds out, after having been 'boosted' to within an inch of its life ...

I also came away with an unusual foreign set, a Unitra Neptun 171 monochrome portable TV made in Poland in the late 1980s ? I'll post another thread about it in due course. I'm also pleased that most of my 'junk' found new homes.

Meanwhile here are a couple of pictures of the GEC TV being worked on Mike's table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0662.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	183134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0663.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	183135  
Old 15th May 2019, 10:46 am   #77
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks you Mike for a wonderful day on Saturday. Its so nice to meet up with everyone for a chat. I am glad they got that GEC Dual Standard tv going. I use to keep a lot of these going for friends and family. It bought back a lot of happy memories.
Closed Thread