UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2020, 10:29 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Better Deck for use with Heathkit STR–1?

Hi!

Is there a better three–speed (1⅞, 3¾ & 7½ in/s), ideally three motor, with ¼ track heads suitable for transistor operation I can look into acquiring for my Heathkit STR–1?

I have a Robuk type Motek deck but the horrible fragile head cover you can't secure properly puts me off using it!

(I believe the P.W. Stereo Tape Recorder used a late Motek deck that was already virtually unobtainable at the time the prototype pictured on PW's Jan 1971 cover was made!)

The reason I ask is the BSR TD10 that came as standard with it is making an awful cacophony of mechanical noises in operation – would a strip–down, re–lubrication and reassembly help?

Chris Williams

PS!

I'd love a Robuk "Statesman" if I could get one – the Marriott heads originally in the Heathkit would probably fit this!

Last edited by Chris55000; 6th Apr 2020 at 10:35 pm.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 9:12 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Better Deck for use with Heathkit STR–1?

The PW deck was a Collaro Studio, a decent enough deck with a few weaknesses, most of which were addressed by Reps when they used it in the R10. The Moteks were a bit rough-and-ready - the Statesman came and went in short order, and in any case only takes 5" reels. Rather like the Walter Metropolitan, it was an ambitious final fling that failed. There is always the Brenell - there are a few of these sculling about with open circuit Bogen heads, and the mountings are quite similar to the Marriotts. A Magnavox 363 would pitch you from the frying pan into the fire, but if you could both find and refurbish a Planet U1...

All this said, the TD10 wasn't bad for what it was. Hardened idlers are the usual cause of rumbles and general racket, and ideally should be replaced, an expensive option these days. You may get lucky with RubberRenue or similar, but in my experience there is no guarantee of success, and the stuff is absolutely foul - best to use it outdoors. A good clean and relubrication would help in any case.
Old 16th Apr 2020, 5:37 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Would these idlers fit the TD10?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184048825196

Failing that, I've now procured another Tandberg 15 for spares to refurbish the first one that went up in smoke – could I transplant a Tandberg 15 deck into the Heathkit's amplifier?

Chris Williams

PS!

I've now managed to find an original BSR TD10 s.m., now on it's way to me!

Last edited by Chris55000; 16th Apr 2020 at 5:45 pm.
Old 16th Apr 2020, 8:38 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Would these idlers fit the TD10?
Well, that's a good question. They look new but it says they're used. It would be interesting to know what they're actually for. Almost like there's no such thing as a good BSR TC8 cartridge, the same can be said of the BSR TD10 tape deck in that there's no such thing as one with good idler wheels, although there's been the odd exception regarding both.

Below is a picture of the two idler wheels in a TD10, for the record, both idlers shown were duff and the capstan flywheel drive one made a terrible noise. Covering the driving edge with a stuck on rubber band helps, but it's only a bodge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130408.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	203139  
Old 17th Apr 2020, 4:49 am   #5
ricard
Octode

I've had success using the idler(s) from the Philips EL3516/3536/3542 and EL3546/3547 for the flywheel idler in the TD10. The shaft and outer diameter are the same, but the bearing is not in the same relative axial position compared to the outer rim, so it requires some shimming with washers to get the rim in the correct axial position. The rubber used for the idlers in the aforementioned Philips machines seems to predate the later 'turn-to-goo' rubber that Philips started using in the 1960s.

I just had my only TD10 deck based machine out the other week, which has undergone the above treatment, and it was still playing fine.

(Incidentally, although the mechanical design of the EL3516/3536/3542 and EL3546/3547 are completely different, the motor-to-flywheel idlers on the former and the flywheel-to-right-hand-reel-holder idlers on the latter are identical. A nice bit of reusing what was already available at Philips. On the former you even get three per machine, one per tape speed.)
Old 17th Apr 2020, 8:47 am   #6
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Member Ricard, thank you for your kind tip!

I'll post dimensions of the BSR TD10 idlers when I next get round to dismantling my Heathkit!

I was lucky enough to get the full Assembly Manual as well, so I don't need to make special note of where everything went and I've got a deck S.M. on the way!

Chris Williams