UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2011, 10:11 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1955 Philips 141U 5 valve AC/DC MW/LW transportable radio

Hello again,

I only bought one radio to restore at the NVCF, this little Philips 141U Handyset in working order for £13. It was grubby but I couldn't find any cracks or marks on it all, and I was right, under the dirt was a mint set. And it worked too but wax was squirting out of one end the mains filter capacitor so that was about to blow ......

I have two of these already plus a Stella ST105U equivalent so I knew what problems to expect. This set had had its dropper replaced at some time with a Radiospares part and it had also had a new Philips switched volume potentiometer. I checked its smoothing capacitor (dated August 1955) and it was fine so I just replaced all its black pitch tubular capacitors which improved its gain. All the old capacitors when checked were found to be very leaky. Its resistors were checked and they too were fine but the volume potentiometer had a dead spot causing it to hum so that was dismantled and cleaned which sorted it out. The IF tested OK and the pointer was still well aligned but the set had less gain, particularly on LW, than another 141U here. I've found that adjusting the aerial trimmers on these works wonders so I adjusted MW and that peaked up nicely but the LW one did nothing, and when I fully unscrewed the LW grub screw and attempted to pull out the attached ferrite rod just the wire link came out. The trimmer box was removed from the chassis, its side panel and wire spring on top removed and eventually I managed to loosen the rod and remove it from its former. It was gently cleaned, the wire link replaced, the trimmer box reassembled with the wire spring superglued back into place on top, the trimmer reinstated and both MW and LW when adjusted peaked up successfully and the set now works very well, better than the other one in fact ! Finally a couple of coats of red paint was put on top of the trimmer box. Ron Bryan checked it over as well and found no problems, and the voltage on the UL41 grid was found to be around 300mv so it had plenty of life left in it. The case and trim was cleaned and then polished with Brasso and it came up perfect. I repainted the gold coachlines around the front and back as it was just starting to peel.

I haven't acquired a set which has come up as well as this one for a long time so I am really pleased with it. These are pretty little sets which when working perform very well. Be careful with their trimmers though, only adjust if absolutely necessary as they do have a tendancy to break ........

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141U_front 001.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	51444   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141U_inside 001.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	51445   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141U_back 001.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	51446   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141U_aerial_trimmer.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	51447   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141U_dead_bits.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	51448  

Old 23rd May 2011, 10:18 pm   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: 1955 Philips 141U 5 valve AC/DC MW/LW transportable radio

Nice one Howard, another supurb restoration. Looks a very tidy straightforward little set especially for a Philips
Old 24th May 2011, 11:06 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Simon,

Compared with say the contemporary German built Philips Philetta AM/FM midget set the 141U is a doddle to work on. Its straightforward chassis is similar to that in one or two other Philips GB compact AC/DC sets of the period including the earlier 210U but this one has by far the nicest looking cabinet. They generally survive well although the rear panels and perspex fronts tend to get damaged.

Three of the tubular capacitors are listed in the Philips manual with an 800 volt DC rating, and these were replaced with 1000v polyesters. The mains filter capacitor has been replaced with a 275v AC class X2 capacitor.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	philips_141U_chassis_under 001.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	51465  

Last edited by howard; 24th May 2011 at 11:27 am.
Old 24th May 2011, 4:05 pm   #4
Leon Crampin
Octode

I have a 141U - Howard gave me an undamaged back for it (thanks, Howard!).

The interesting feature of this set is its heavy gauge single turn loop aerial - it's a strip of thick aluminium fitted around the cabinet just inside the back cover. As with any transformer or coupling coil, there's no reason why this should not work just as efficiently as a multi-turn "frame" aerial except that in order to both tune it and to obtain optimum energy transfer, an RF matching transformer is needed.

Howard shows a picture of this transformer with its LW loading coil section. It's an efficient design (if the cores stay on the rods) and peaks up very well on alignment. Consequently, the single turn loop works just as well - if not better - than many conventional frame aerials; the dielectric losses are lower and so it probably has a higher overall Q.

Watch the operating conditions of the UL41 on this set - on 240V mains, the anode current tends to be a bit high, even with everything else within tolerance. I solved this by fitting a less than 100% UL41. The dial lamp can be replaced with a 24V 2.8W MES lamp which used to be the standard for commercial vehicle dashboard pilot lamps. It gives the right brightness at 0.1A.

A neat set - possibly the last of the Philips "whacky" designs - although there was a later set with an 800 Ohm speaker...

Leon.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:35 pm   #5
Andrewausfa
Octode

That looks excellent Howard. I'm quite tempted by some of these Philips sets.

Regards _ Andrew
Old 10th Nov 2011, 5:57 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

And yet another 141U .........

Hello again,

While I was in Switzerland and Germany a few months back, I visited a massive collection of European and North American vintage radios (which included a rare Marconi from 1912), there were a few sets there from British manufacturers Ekco, Bush and Murphy etc and in the Philips section dwarfed by big Dutch, Swiss and German built radios was one of these little 141Us in nice condition, still with its UK plug attached. I too like these little Philips Handysets, so much so that I've rebuilt this third one from two scrap sets, the first from a BVWS auction earlier in the year with a damaged back panel and a second original example in fair condition bought locally for £6.

The example from the BVWS auction was found to have been overhauled but not at all well, with radial electrolytic capacitors glued upside down onto the chassis to replace the original smoothing capacitor, the dial cord incorrectly fitted and the pointer firmly superglued onto it, and its tubular capacitors had been replaced with cheap radials tacked onto the wires remaining from the original pitch capacitors. The other example was all original except for a replacement RS dropper so I decided to restore the unmolested chassis from this one and to use the other for spares. The cases and trim were both in good condition except for the damaged rear panel so there were sufficient parts to build a nice case from the two.

I checked the three stage dropper for continuity and that was fine so then the chassis was cleaned up and the valve pins, waveband switch and volume potentiometer all cleaned with DeoxiT. The capacitor across the mains was removed and the set powered up, and once warmed up after a few minutes it was just about working. The volume potentiometer was very noisy and worn though. So all the original black pitch tubular capacitors were replaced with new polyesters and the cap across the mains replaced with a 275v AC class X2. The switched volume pot was replaced with an original one from the scrap set, a new 2 core mains lead fitted and also a new dial cord as that broke. During the course of its overhaul the aerial trimmer box fell apart so to save time I replaced that too using the one in the scrap set. The set was now working quite well after a quick tweak of the aerial and MW high frequency trimmers but it sounded a bit distorted on the strong local County Sound station on 192m MW and the HT at 160 volts was low. So I took it over to Ron Bryan to check it over.

The low HT problem was investigated and it was eventually established that the RS 240+250+538 ohm dropper had been fitted the wrong way around so the HT was low and the LT was too high ! Disconnecting the dropper, turning it around and reconnecting it sorted the problem and the HT then rose to over 200v and the overall LT voltage was spot on. Resistors were then checked and only one was found to be way out of spec which was on the UL41 grid so it was replaced. The UL41 grid leakage had been checked earlier and found to be reasonable but with the new resistor in place it was found to have risen to several volts so that was replaced promptly with another UL41 with a much lower leakage of around 250 mV. Later I did the RF alignment and that worked a treat and lastly replaced the UBC41 which improved the sound quality.

The case was in good condition, even the gold coachline paint was intact so it just needed a clean and polish up with Brasso and a little beeswax.

So a third Philips 141U joins the collection (I also have a Stella 105U equivalent), they are straightforward to work on and like the others it's in good condition and works well. These cute little Philips sets are among my favorite valve sets ........ I want another one to do now !

My thanks to Ron for his help.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	philips_141u_3_front.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	58530   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141u_3_rear.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	58531   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141u_3_inside.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	58532   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141u_3_chassis_under.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	58533   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_141u_3_dead_bits.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	58534  

Old 10th Nov 2011, 7:16 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes I'd like to add one of these to the collection. Nice job as usual Howard. You must have hundreds of sets by now!

Rich.
Old 10th Nov 2011, 11:57 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

Well done Howard - another excellent job.

I have one of these sets (Howard gave me a back panel for it) and they do perform remarkably well when aligned properly - which is a critical job.

The unusual feature is the one turn heavy gauge frame aerial, visible in Howard's photograph. This has a high Q but needs a tuned matching transformer to give optimum energy transfer - hence the critical alignment.

If anyone has trouble finding the dial lamp for these sets, a 24V 2.8W MES commercial vehicle dashboard lamp fits and works perfectly.

Leon.
Closed Thread