UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2007, 3:06 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco A44 cabinet details?

Hi, I am restoring an Ekco A44 from 1940's and around the dial glass area it has flakey creamy/white paint to give the cabinet a 'two tone' effect against the Bakelite case.

Should the paint be there or has someone added it? I can't find a picture of this radio to confirm either way.

If indeed it should be there what type of paint should I use to redo this?

Photo attached.

Thanks for any help. - Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a44 front.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	13370  
Old 11th Nov 2007, 7:33 pm   #2
ColinB
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco A44 cabinet details?

Nice set

I am 99% sure that these were painted, as yours is.

I haven't got one, so can't advise what to use as a replacement, but maby a car paint spray of a similar colour would be suitable. Perhaps wheel it into Halfords and ask them for the nearest match?

Good luck with the restoration, should look good when done.

BR

Colin
Old 11th Nov 2007, 7:38 pm   #3
music-centre
Heptode

Hi Dave,
I have definitely seen a couple of these in the past where this area is painted (they would probably have been ones on ebay) i took notice as i have one here and although that area is plain bakelite on my one it is lightly scratched up as though someone has removed paint from it and then ran out of enthusiasm !

I was going to paint mine anyway - probably car type aerosol paint ?
regards,
steve.
Old 11th Nov 2007, 7:57 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Colin, I have stripped the remaining paint off and it seems as though the Bakelite was scoured to accept the paint so I think this confirms what you say.

Looking at the cabinet as it is though it seems much prettier without the paint so I'm 3 parts tempted to leave it off.

Dave
Closed Thread