UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2007, 8:08 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Restoration of tan rexine

Hello,

I have a nice original Roberts RT1 in tan to restore, it's virtually unmarked but there are a couple of slightly pale patches on the back. If it had been red, blue, black or green I would have disguised that with Colour Magic car polish, but that polish doesn't come in tan. It's far too nice to paint, so has anyone any tips on a good polish to restore tan please ? Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_RT1_tan_before.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	10610  
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 8:36 pm   #2
PWH
Heptode

Default Re: Restoration of tan rexine

Meltonian shoe polish.
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 9:26 pm   #3
Dynamo
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
. If it had been red, blue, black or green I would have disguised that with Colour Magic car polish, but that polish doesn't come in tan.
Not familiar with this polish and the colours, but might it be possible to blend them, although I guess that a dark brown achievable rather than tan?
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 9:58 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Thanks PWH, Stuart,

Colour Magic is car polish and on thin rexine it disguises fading very well and gives a nice even colour.

Unfortunately Meltonian shoe polish doesn't seem to be available in the UK any longer, but Kiwi Select Renovating polish is available and I've ordered some in tan from "http://www.timpson.co.uk" for £3.43 including postage (other sites wanted £3.45 just for the postage ). Hopefully it won't be too dark.

Howard
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 10:10 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Howard, I used tan shoe polish on a similar Roberts and it stained and darkened the rexine considerably

Meltonian shoe cream is no longer made but my local shoe repair shop does a very similar product (with lots of colours/shades) made by Woly

David
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 10:22 am   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Unfortunately Meltonian shoe polish doesn't seem to be available in the UK any longer, but Kiwi Select Renovating polish is available.
The manager of a local shoe shop told me that Kiwi Select is the same as Meltonian - just re-branded (and with a reduced range of colours). I don't know if that's correct.

Woly shoe cream, from Germany, is available in lots of colours, and seems to work well.

Tom

Last edited by Tom_I; 3rd Jul 2007 at 10:40 am.
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 10:53 am   #7
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Howard, I used tan shoe polish on a similar Roberts and it stained and darkened the rexine considerably
I haven't tried it with rexine, but with old tan leather items, such as camera cases or shoes, you always seem to need a polish which looks much lighter in shade than the colour you are aiming for.

Tom
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 1:14 pm   #8
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hi Howard

I can recommend a brand of shoe cream called 'Tarrago'. Its very similar to the shoe creams available from Lilley and Skinner's and Meltonian and it is available in far many different shades than those two brands.

I bought mine from an eBay UK shop, but it may be available elsewhere also. But in the first instance do a search on eBay for 'Tarrago'

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 4:32 pm   #9
Dynamo
Triode

Tarrago have a website www.tarrago.co.uk prices on there appear to be cheaper than the ebay shop, but the shipping is more, so if you want several colours it will work out cheaper.
Old 5th Jul 2007, 11:13 am   #10
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

Thanks all for all your suggestions.

I've now received the Kiwi renovating polish - see below - and if anything it's a touch lighter shade than the Roberts RT1 tan rexine cover. I've already put some on the bottom right hand corner and it's a perfect match I'd say !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kiwi_tan 002.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	10668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiwi_tan 001.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	10669  
Old 5th Jul 2007, 12:34 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

And here's the RT1 again with its rear door finished, this Kiwi Select is excellent stuff and it's just a tad lighter than the original colour on the mid section, so I'll now do the whole case. And it's tidied up the edge on the Decca TP85 too.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kiwi_tan.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	10671  
Old 5th Jul 2007, 1:53 pm   #12
Dynamo
Triode

Got an RT1 in the same colour Howard, so it looks like I'll have to give this stuff a go.
Old 6th Jul 2007, 3:55 pm   #13
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hi Howard

Yes that Kiwi stuff you bought does look a good colour match. The Tarrago cream I suggested is very similar, I've tried both brands, and there's very little difference between them. I prefer the Tarrago because there is a wider range of colours to choose from, and in general I've found it to be cheaper

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 9th Jul 2007, 10:56 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Lightbulb Re: Restoration of tan rexine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
Woly shoe cream, from Germany, is available in lots of colours, and seems to work well.
I'd not heard of Woly before, but Rob, "The Town Hall Cobbler" in Bridgnorth, Shropshire had a large range of colours on display at his stall this morning. When I told him what we use it for, he was very interested and offered to help select a matching shade if you take your radio along! I propose to take my tan R200 and my maroon Vidor 396 next time I go in. Ring 07971 718607 to check he's there before making a long journey.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th Jul 2007, 4:45 pm   #15
peter_scott
Dekatron

Perhaps a bit late after the good suggestions above but I've found that linseed oil works well on tired Rexine and scratched wood. It might seem a little oily but it dries out and buffs up well. Nice smell too, if you like that sort of thing.

Peter
Old 11th Jul 2007, 9:03 pm   #16
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
I've found that linseed oil works well on tired Rexine and scratched wood. It might seem a little oily but it dries out and buffs up well. Nice smell too, if you like that sort of thing.
Thanks for posting that tip Peter, not tried or even considered using linseed oil to restore rexine. But will certainly give it a go now on your recommendation!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 9:28 am   #17
Broomradioman
Tetrode

Dear All,

I have two cherry red R66s and a Green R66, does anyone know what colours from the Tarrago range best match these. While we're at it, I have a Tan R200 and a blue R300 too so if you have a best match for those that would be great as well

cheers

Jim
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 3:07 pm   #18
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomradioman View Post
I have two cherry red R66s and a Green R66, does anyone know what colours from the Tarrago range best match these. While we're at it, I have a Tan R200 and a blue R300 too so if you have a best match for those that would be great as well
Hi Jim

I'm afraid it depends entirely on the specific colour of your particular set. No two cherry red R66's are exactly the same shade, obviously due to how well they've survived to the present day. The same goes for all the other sets you have listed.

I can tell you from experience with the Tarrago range that the colours shown on their website are very close to the actual shoe cream colour they are referring to, and there's many subtle shades to chose from.

My advice is to pick out the colour on the website closest to the shade of the particular set you intend to use it on, and when its delivered 99.9% of the time it will be just about spot on! That's what I've found in the past whenever I've ordered some anyway

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread