UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:40 am   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Philips 1066 pocket radio

While browsing around a local charity shop today, I came across a pocket radio being sold as non-working. Both the on-off switch and the tuning knobs seemed fine, but the battery compartment would not open. As it was only 50p, I decided to buy it. On arriving back home, I managed to open the battery compartment with gentle persuasion from a screwdriver. It turned out that there were two leaked batteries inside and they had partially corroded the springs. I removed the batteries and managed to find some clean spots on the battery terminals to connect fresh batteries via small crocodile clips. To my delight, the radio started working. Reception is really good across the MW band.
It seems that this a standard 6 transistor superhet radio made by Philips in Italy in the seventies. The cabinet was pretty mucky but it has now had a preliminary cleanup. I will need to look at removing the corrosion from the battery terminals next.
This is the first pocket radio in my collection . I made a similar one almost 35 years ago but no longer have it.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:47 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips 1066 pocket radio

Is this it? https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_d1066.html
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:57 am   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

Yes Paul. This is my radio, a D1066. I am not familiar at all with transistors having ED prefixes. I remember using six lockfit transistors when I made my superhet and if I correctly recall they had BC and BF (e.g. BC548B) prefixes along with a glass OA79 diode being used as the detector.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 4:55 am   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm very sure it wasn't made in Italy and not in the seventies either as this kind of modelnumber was used from around 1980 onwards. What letters are in front of the serial number?

The ED transistor prefixes are for Hong Kong, but looking at the pictures in rmorg, these sets were assembled in India as well.

Edit: looking at the pictures in rmorg, there's even a Philips codenumber on the solder side of the board, but unreadable in those pictures. If you happen to disassemble yours, please have a look at that number as it reveals where the original design was made.

Last edited by Maarten; 21st Oct 2018 at 5:00 am.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 11:01 am   #5
paulsherwin

Yes, just because it was marketed by Philips Italy doesn't mean it was made there. The transistors seem to be standard Si types found in many HK and other Far Eastern radios of the period. The transformer coupled AF section is also typical of those designs.

Surprisingly, the transistors do have Philips/NXP datasheets, e.g https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/p...ED1502-pdf.php. They were made in several different encapsulations.

It appears to have been sold as a Magnavox in the US: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/magnav...dio_d1066.html
Old 21st Oct 2018, 11:59 am   #6
Jolly 7
Octode

Here are some pictures. Part of the Philips serial number label is missing. There is also a label with 92S written on it on the 2nd IFT. Maybe this was a quality control number ? The speaker has a label with the IF i.e. 468 kHz. The best part is that the full circuit diagram is inside the back cover.

The cores of T1 and T2 are rusty and will need rust removal treatment, but in spite of that it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_113404.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	171270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_114036.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	171271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_114159.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	171272  
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:04 pm   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

The minute number on the solder side of the board reads 315-xxx-31440. I cannot read the digits in the middle.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:25 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

Luckily the unreadable parts of both the model number and the code number on the PCB are not the really relevant parts and can for the most part be found by deduction anyway.

The full model number would be D1066/05, so a D1066 set destined for sale in the UK (the /05 is an execution suffix used for the UK market from 1980 onwards, before that it was /15).

The letters IL in front of the serial number point to the factory where it was made, in this case Poona (Pune), India.

The full code number looks like 3115 103 31440. From the middle 3 digits, the last should be a 3 because of the way the code works, the middle 0 is also the most likely number in that position and actually looks like a 0 with some solder caught. The first digit is likely to be a 1 or a 2, maybe you could verify?

31 consumer electronics
15 India

x0 which factory in India (if i knew more numbers from Poona I could predict the digits with more certainty)

3 3 printed circuit board

144 unique number

0 change digit

It surprises me a bit that the set was even partially designed in India. The only thing (apart from the various codes) that wouldn't immediately make me attribute the set to Hong Kong, is the use of solder mask on the PCB which I don't think they did in Hong Kong.

It makes sense Philips actually made the ED-prefixed transistors. When they became active in East Asia, they bought or built their own semiconductor factory, istr in Hong Kong. I think NXP still owns it.

P.S. The 92S label is handwritten and hard to decode. It could be a date code, in which case it may read 925 or 425 for the 25th week of 1979 or 1984 respectively. 1984 seems more likely from the model number but 1979 is also possible (especially if there was a predecessor model 15ALxxx or something like that) but since we don't even know whether this is actually a date label, it's speculation.

Last edited by Maarten; 21st Oct 2018 at 12:37 pm.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 1:26 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Presumably this was a Philips corporate product for global distribution, hence the Philips and Magnavox versions. There was a demand for small cheap AM radios almost everywhere at that time, so it would make sense to standardise on a single model made as cheaply as possible.

I wonder if it exists with Radiola branding for France? I suppose it's unlikely, because LW coverage was so important there.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 1:57 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Most Philips sets of that era were at least somewhat suitable for global distribution. I think there was some sort of transition away from national models around 1980 (possibly tied to the change in model numbers and the change in execution suffixes), though the trend would have started earlier (national brand models and some Philips brand models were presumably chosen by the importing national organisation from a world wide catalogue). Also, global design was already well established in the 1970's but more for local production purposes.

The French equivalent would have most likely been based on a 2-band basic model.

Last edited by Maarten; 21st Oct 2018 at 2:05 pm.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 2:03 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Some cheap French radios from that era simply have the AM coverage changed from MW to LW for that market. I don't know if any Philips/Radiola/Schneider models ever did this.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 7:32 pm   #12
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
The cores of T1 and T2 are rusty and will need rust removal treatment, but in spite of that it works fine.
I would be disinclined to apply anything to the T1 and T2 cores except possibly a smear of silicon grease, in case any "rust remover" attacked the plastic of the now ageing coil formers. If it is working Ok, as you say it is, I would leave well alone.
Nice little set though, well done to find it in such good nick! Tony
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 12:18 am   #13
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussion and useful advice. I was able to look at the circuit diagram in a bit more detail, but not before enlarging it on my 40" TV. The detector diode used in this radio is a silicon one, a CDG00.
@maarten: I will attempt to remove the solder on the middle three digits soon and let you know if legible.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 6:33 pm   #14
orbanp1
Heptode

Hello Everyone,

From the pictures it looks like that the circuit board in that radio is exactly the same as in the Philips 90AL071:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philip...90_al_071.html
I wrote about my "adventures" with that radio of mine here:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c.php?t=197891

Peter
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 8:27 pm   #15
paulsherwin

Yes, that is very possible. Manufacturers tended to do 'skin jobs' on basic sets like these every year or so as styling fashions changed, but electronically there's not much you can do to update a six transistor AM pocket radio.

I see you rewound the osc coil - quite a job! I think I would have tried to find a replacement coil that fitted from a scrap set.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 4:16 pm   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

@orbanp1: good observation! I notice the one in RMorg was made in Singapore. I'm still a bit surprised that Philips India took such a design and decided they could rework and manufacture it even more cheaply for export than Philips Singapore or Hong Kong.

According to the pictures of your set on antiqueradios.com, the serial number is stamped in red, as is that of the D1066 from this topic. Is yours made in Poona (letters IL) as well?

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Oct 2018 at 4:27 pm.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 4:33 pm   #17
paulsherwin

Maybe production started in Singapore and was transferred to India at a later date? The design with the AF transformers is very early 70s Far East.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 8:51 pm   #18
Maarten
Dekatron

Sounds plausible. Based on the pictures I've seen from the Singapore model, it was possibly even made by a subcontractor in the far east (no Philips code numbers on the PCB or parts, only 3190 xxx xxxxx on the schematic which points in the general direction of the far east). They could have easily bought the production line and shipped it to India so they could allocate space for producing a new model.
Closed Thread