UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2012, 6:00 pm   #1
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Bush VHF61.

I bought a Bush VHF61 at November's Golborne bash as it was one of the few specific models that I'd had on my wish list.

It worked on MW, albeit not very well, but that was all.

The first thing I had to was replace some of the wiring as getting the chassis out of the case had caused so much insulation to fall off that it wasn't in a fit state to run even for test purposes.

Re-capping improved MW but VHF was still a dead loss. The obvious suspect was the ECC85 but I hadn't got a replacement – it was annoying as I could have got one at Golborne and, in fact, did get a UCC85.

Another possibility was low HT and it was indeed down. As this was proving to be the most hum-free AC set I have I was inclined to exonerate the smoothers so accused the rectifier of idleness.

I also have a non-working Ekco which tries to kill me by sticking HT on its Gram socket so I borrowed the EZ80 out of that.

There was now HT in abundance but still no VHF.

The Ekco had also only worked on AM before developing its murderous intentions so I wasn't optimistic about the health of that ECC85 but there was nothing to loose by trying it.

It half worked in that only the stations at the top of the band could be received.

I checked the HT and resistors inside the VHF tuner unit and all seemed well.

Next time I tried it it would work down about as far as Radio Four and things gradually improved until I could get Radio 2. It still wouldn't go down as far as Radio Sheffield (88.6 Mc/s) but I don't want that anyway.

The magic eye was brighter than I'd expected but wasn't closing very well. Changing a few resistors improved that.

It continued to un-reliable on VHF but then I was given a replacement valve and all has been very well since.

The case has polished up well with Brasso and beeswax and the speaker cloth has washed up like new. I did this in a solution of PoundLand oxygenating crystals. I then folded it in a towel and went over it with the rolling pin a couple of times to get most of the water out.

It's continued to behave and sees regular use.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 Front as Received.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	60794   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 Inside as Received.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	60795   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 Inside Finished.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	60796   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF61 Finished.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	60797  
Old 7th Jan 2012, 6:10 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Bush VHF61.

Great work there Joe, good to see one of the sets from our Golborne adventure revived!

Well worth the hassle of washing the grille cloth, as this can really let a radio down if it's grubby. Those VHF61s really are stylish and look fantastic when cleaned up, as you have proved. I like the conservative British appearance with a few flashy bits of American-style trim; a bit like the radio equivalent of a mid 1950s Hillman Minx!

Steve J
Old 7th Jan 2012, 8:13 pm   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

These are nice little iconic sets and sound very good for their size. Yours really has come up nicely.
Old 7th Jan 2012, 9:24 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Nice job and another one saved! These are my favorite valve set.
Old 7th Jan 2012, 9:35 pm   #5
Leon Crampin
Octode

Well done - these sets are a great favourite with me too. I have two of them, both restored but one is fitted with a 6CH6 output valve with minor modifications. I think this is the better sounding set, but there are other variables of course.

The build standard is best-period Bush, so about as good as you will find. The AM performance is poor, caused largely by the insane external aerial bottom coupling arrangement to a fixed (non rotatable) ferrite rod. It gives the worst possible performance of all - poor external coupling with noise added from the fixed rod. FM sensitivity is really good with the "extra" IF stage.

Try this set with a good external 'speaker sometime - it then ranks amongst the best. There is room in the cabinet for a bigger 'speaker + electrostatic tweeter as in the VHF64, but I'm not keen on spoiling originality.

Switch bank insulation breakdown is the only real killer of these sets, otherwise they're perfect for daily use with cheap valve replacements and a separate mains switch to avoid potentiometer wear.

Leon.
Old 8th Jan 2012, 1:33 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Lovely set, and a nice job you've done with it.
Old 8th Jan 2012, 5:27 pm   #7
Bassette
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
I bought a Bush VHF61 at November's Golborne bash as it was one of the few specific models that I'd had on my wish list.

It worked on MW, albeit not very well, but that was all.

The first thing I had to was replace some of the wiring as getting the chassis out of the case had caused so much insulation to fall off that it wasn't in a fit state to run even for test purposes.

Re-capping improved MW but VHF was still a dead loss. The obvious suspect was the ECC85 but I hadn't got a replacement – it was annoying as I could have got one at Golborne and, in fact, did get a UCC85.

Another possibility was low HT and it was indeed down. As this was proving to be the most hum-free AC set I have I was inclined to exonerate the smoothers so accused the rectifier of idleness.

I also have a non-working Ekco which tries to kill me by sticking HT on its Gram socket so I borrowed the EZ80 out of that.

There was now HT in abundance but still no VHF.

The Ekco had also only worked on AM before developing its murderous intentions so I wasn't optimistic about the health of that ECC85 but there was nothing to loose by trying it.

It half worked in that only the stations at the top of the band could be received.

I checked the HT and resistors inside the VHF tuner unit and all seemed well.

Next time I tried it it would work down about as far as Radio Four and things gradually improved until I could get Radio 2. It still wouldn't go down as far as Radio Sheffield (88.6 Mc/s) but I don't want that anyway.

The magic eye was brighter than I'd expected but wasn't closing very well. Changing a few resistors improved that.

It continued to un-reliable on VHF but then I was given a replacement valve and all has been very well since.

The case has polished up well with Brasso and beeswax and the speaker cloth has washed up like new. I did this in a solution of PoundLand oxygenating crystals. I then folded it in a towel and went over it with the rolling pin a couple of times to get most of the water out.

It's continued to behave and sees regular use.

- Joe
Hi Joe

Yes it is a wonderful refurbishment I do hope I can come close to that condition when I eventually make contact with a 61. I am tracking one now
on Ebay trouble is I live in Bath and the seller in Doncaster.

Anyway I will get my hands on one hopefully soon.

Terry
Old 9th Jan 2012, 12:34 am   #8
tedzed1
Hexode

Hello Joe, Nice set, and yours has come up really nice,
I basically cut my teeth on one of these,

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51237

It's still in the bedroom and gets used most nights.