UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2018, 5:58 pm   #21
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Re: Band II: tropospheric lift

Also last night the French repeaters on 433.400 and 145.325 were audible here at ground level, which is not much over sea level. Also our local 2 metre repeater on 145.737 had a guy from near Paris working through it. I noticed that the local repeater seemed stronger and a more consistent signal than normal. I'm located near Weymouth Dorset, our 2 metre repeater is near Bridport.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:23 am   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Earlier this morning I noticed that there were a couple of weak French signals just above the noise on 87.90 and 88.00 Nothing else was about. This was around 2am using my small communications radio just with its telescopic rod aerial.
Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:34 am   #23
colourking
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
This evening Spirit Radio on 549 kHz from ROI is coming in quite clear in the Southampton area. This frequency is normally occupied by Algeria.
The Algerian 549kHz was possibly off the air, or had dropped power due to a fault condition or whatever, leaving through a clear Spirit Radio.
As others have said it is unrelated to the Tropo lift at VHF/UHF.

(Funny how Ireland's LW transmitter AND what is its sole licenced MW transmitter are both usually badly interference-limited by Algerian stations at night. There have of course been various calls for RTE's 252kHz LW to move up 9kHz to (the now disused in Europe) 261kHz for the remainder of its life but nothing has happened..
Old 26th Oct 2018, 8:32 pm   #24
Nymrod121
Nonode

Here's a link to some video/audio files of the stations I was able to receive during the last week's openings:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...dg7hgdoHfseuTr

Hope these are of interest - I'll delete them in around five days or so.

Best wishes,

Guy
Old 5th Nov 2018, 12:45 pm   #25
paulsherwin

Band II seems all over the place in Oxford this morning, with R4 93.9 from Beckley disappearing under a wall of mush at times despite being line of sight. There appears to be a bit of tropo to the SE - not a major event, but it must be in just the right place. R4 often suffers here when there's a lift on, and I've never been able to work out where the co-channel interference comes from.
Closed Thread