UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 2nd Mar 2024, 1:12 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default 74HCTxx ICs

Hi.

I am looking for a range of 74HCT logic ICs for a number of ongoing projects please.
New availability is limited and quite often there are minimum order quantities as with RS. It's a minefield on eBay as you end up buying from about five different sources each with carriage costs that makes everything uneconomic. I have a small stock of some HCT types but I am looking for some of the following through hole types:

74HCT08 (five or more)
74HCT10 (a couple or more)
74HCT11 (five or more)
74HCT21 (five or more)
74HCT30 (a couple or more)
74HCT74 (a few)
74HCT90 (a couple or more)
74HCT93 (a few)
Also any other HCT or HC types may be useful including SMT types.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated. All costs met. Thanks.

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 3:18 pm   #2
factory
Octode

Default Re: 74HCTxx ICs

I don't believe the 74HCT90 was ever made, it would have been very useful to me if it was.
Have you checked Mouser for the others, RS & Farnell don't stock the full range due to the manufacturer limiting who they supply to.

Edit: Mouser have all the others in through hole, the HCT93 isn't made in surface mount.

David

Last edited by factory; 2nd Mar 2024 at 3:28 pm.
factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 3:25 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

An alternative would be a programmable logic device to gobble up a load of random logic. I've used the Altera ones with their free MaxPlus2 software in the past and forund it quite successful. You may have to arrange lower voltage power supply for the core logic of larger ones but they can certainly do HCT speeds and give you programmble thresholds for your input pins.

These sorts of things are why usage of logic parts in bulk has been going away, and hence the cause of difficulty in finding small logic parts!

David
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 4:30 pm   #4
factory
Octode

Only one I have from the list, that I have more than I need is the 74HCT08, some I don't have in any version.

David
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 5:41 pm   #5
Keith956
Heptode

I might have some, I’ll have a look on Monday when I’m home. Do they have to be HCT or can they be HC or even LS?
Keith956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 7:19 pm   #6
Mark1960
Octode

Instead of 74hct90 or 74hct93, check for 74hct390 or 74hct393.

I try to avoid ripple counters and prefer the 74hct163 synchronous type, it depends on what you are designing.
Mark1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 7:33 pm   #7
factory
Octode

I had to use the LS90 in surface mount form, I needed the reset to zero & nine, the dual 390 version doesn't have both.

David
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:13 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
I don't believe the 74HCT90 was ever made, it would have been very useful to me if it was.
Have you checked Mouser for the others, RS & Farnell don't stock the full range due to the manufacturer limiting who they supply to.

Edit: Mouser have all the others in through hole, the HCT93 isn't made in surface mount.

David
Thanks for mentioning Mouser, they certainly have a very comprehensive stock, I'm very impressed. The only snag is the highish handling charge although spending £33 or more then it's waived so not bad really. I'd probably build up the order so there's no handling charge.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:17 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
I might have some, I’ll have a look on Monday when I’m home. Do they have to be HCT or can they be HC or even LS?
That sounds good Keith. They preferably need to be HCT types to make interfacing them easier with existing LS types. I'm aiming to use HCT versions where possible to minimise power consumption. Thanks.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:23 pm   #10
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
An alternative would be a programmable logic device to gobble up a load of random logic. I've used the Altera ones with their free MaxPlus2 software in the past and forund it quite successful. You may have to arrange lower voltage power supply for the core logic of larger ones but they can certainly do HCT speeds and give you programmble thresholds for your input pins.

These sorts of things are why usage of logic parts in bulk has been going away, and hence the cause of difficulty in finding small logic parts!

David
That sounds a versatile way of doing things David. I must admit that my Test card project is getting somewhat out of hand with the ever increasing number of TTL ICs as I'm making additions to the original design. Whilst I wanted to develop the extra circuits based on off the shelf TTL devices I can see the benefits of using programmable logic. I must look into the Altera programmable logic and the development software, sounds very good. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:26 pm   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
Instead of 74hct90 or 74hct93, check for 74hct390 or 74hct393.

I try to avoid ripple counters and prefer the 74hct163 synchronous type, it depends on what you are designing.
Mark, I had wondered about the 74HCT390 and 74HCT393 counters, am I correct in assuming they are dual versions of the 90 and 93 counters?

Regards,
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 2nd Mar 2024 at 11:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 1:44 am   #12
Mark1960
Octode

Yes, you might find the wiki list of 74 series usefull.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...300_–_74x399

You can also find some of the cmos pinout devices in 74hct series. For example 74hct4040 is a 12 bit counter, and has similar input frequency to other 74hct counters. The basic CD4040 might be too slow, but was used to follow faster ttl counters in some early vdu circuits before chips like the 6845.

Its sometimes easier to find the 74HC type without the T. These have the same function and output type as 74HCT but inputs are not compatible with 74, 74LS, 74S, 74AS, 74F etc. If your circuit only has 74HCT and 74HC they are probably ok.

74AHCT is also worth trying.
Mark1960 is online now   Reply With Quote