UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2007, 9:59 pm   #21
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Wootton Bassett 2nd December

I shall be there, but nothing to bring or collect. Looking forward to the auction and of course the excellant food as well.
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 7:37 pm   #22
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

This was my first WB for some time and I'm glad to report that Mike and his team still make it a really nice friendly occasion. I went with a full car and came back almost empty Thanks to all those who took stuff for transport to other forum members and the Amberley Museum.

I left near the start of the auction. What sort of prices were realised?
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 7:55 pm   #23
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Just a note to give a big thank you to all those who spent so much time arranging the day at Wootton Bassett. There must be a great deal of time and effort spent in the preceding days and on the day to make it all happen.

A great day out!

Thanks and regards,

Ian
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 8:01 pm   #24
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I also forgot to say thankyou to the forum member whose name I've now forgotten who gave me a lovely little penguin toy
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 10:39 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I got back home about an hour ago, exhausted! I'm sure those auction lots get heavier each year... It was an excellent event, as always. I always really enjoy the Wootton Bassett meets.

Auction prices were quite low, which seems to fit the trend generally. Mike even commented in the auction about how cheaply a few of teh items went for. A round Ekco for £220, for example. That coherer sold for (I think) £1400 and was by far the highest priced item.

I only bought a couple of things:

A book about Bletchley Park called "Station X" for £3
An Ultra Twin 50 radio in excellent condition with mains lead for £6 from Ian's stall
And a Farnell twin output power supply in the auction for £20

I bid for a couple of other auction lots, an MB60 and a red Motorola midget set, but was outbid.

Phil, I collected your Ekco from Jeffrey and it is currently in the back of my car. I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 10:40 pm   #26
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I enjoyed today despite a raging cold and picked up a lovelly phillips 830a from the Geoffrey D N collection ,which on return home performed very well on a piece of string despite the fact that sets dont work well here and at £160 i think was a bargain . The prices of really decent sets seam to be dropping and is rediculous! BUT good if u want one
I dont understand why peole dont want to pay for stuff today , unless we are all full up
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 11:10 pm   #27
Steve_P
Dekatron

Glad you've all had a good day. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. My transport had been to the Ballet!

Women - they sometimes don't know their place!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 11:22 pm   #28
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Good to meet lots of folk from the forum again today.

I'd recently run out of sets to restore but now I've got a few ! I acquired a near mint 1959 Grundig 3028 HiFi Zauberklang, a very nice 1956 Philips B3G63A (and it works too !), an Advance signal generator, a nice blue Hacker Sovereign II, two nice Hacker mini-heralds, a Murphy B831 AM/FM 10 transistor set, a very early Philips transistor set, a nice Ekco PT208, an early 1970s Sony Hifi amplifier, a load of valves including an EL84 and an ECC83, a couple of NOS ediswan transistors, several brand new Roberts aerials for £2 each and a brand new top moulding for a Murphy B831 (that was a surprise) and etc etc. I also got rid of a load of old sets at the B&B.

So a good day and the chocolate cake was rather nice too

Howard
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 11:24 pm   #29
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Phil, I collected your Ekco from Jeffrey and it is currently in the back of my car. I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm more awake.
Paul, many thanks for your help!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 3:46 pm   #30
neil29
Heptode

I was there too.and recognised a few faces,and many i did not . and i did aquire some things,shame they were not what i went for .oh and obviously i joined the bvws. cheers neil.
Old 4th Dec 2007, 9:30 pm   #31
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
The prices of really decent sets seam to be dropping and is ridiculous! BUT good if u want one.
I don't understand why people don't want to pay for stuff today, unless we are all full up...
You might be right there, Chipp. I am full up, yet I still can't resist taking on yet more old sets needing TLC. However I am most unlikely to pay a lot of money for a set that's already been restored... getting them free, or cheap, then doing them up is 95% of the pleasure for me.

Sorry if this is going OT, mods...

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 5th Dec 2007, 1:04 am   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

G4SPZ, I don't think your comments or Chipps can be OT, when you are talking about a Radio Auction. You may just be just pointing out that set values follow monetary confidence. It's like the Art Market, the Stock Market and even the " Buy To Let" "Market. "Money's getting shallow and weak" [quote from Modern Times Chaplin/Dylan 2006]. Check it out with Dylis Steve [P]. It's suppply and demand! Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th Dec 2007 at 1:15 am.
Closed Thread