UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2006, 11:35 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca TP85 transistor problems.

I've today revived an ex carboot Decca TP85 which needed a replacement for TR5 which is an AF116 ( as are TR3 and 4 ).

Problem was, this transistor needs long legs to pass through a narrow gap between two capacitors, otherwise the transistor can fouls the caps and the legs won't reach to the pcb. The only transistor I could find with long enough legs was an AF115. I fitted this and the radio now works fine.

I was wondering, will it cause any problems running the radio with AF116-AF116-AF115 instead of the correct three AF116s ? or should I replace all three with the same coded transistors ? ( At present I have no better ones such as AF125/7 etc to use ). Having fitted the AF115 I did find it necessary to tweak the alignment a little but that may have been needed anyway, transistor swap or not.

As an aside, the radio showed a non related additional fault. There was an uneven rumbling at the 'speaker and a horrible feedback-type howl with volume set roughly above midway. I eventually traced this to a duff OC71. I've not come across that fault before now
Old 12th Aug 2006, 11:44 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Decca TP85

The AF115 and AF116 have very similar characteristics, the main difference being in frequency response. The AF115 is able to handle signals up to around 100 MHz but the AF116 although fine at 10.7 MHz would be poor at much higher frequencies.

I would guess that in the manufacturing process they started life as the same transistor and were then labelled after their parameters had been measured.

As you have found the AF115 works fine in place of an AF116 but if you had wanted to replace an AF115 with an AF116 you probably would have had a problem as the AF116 would not have been able to handle the higher frequencies.
Old 13th Aug 2006, 12:18 am   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Colin, I'll leave the radio as it is then
Old 13th Aug 2006, 11:00 am   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi Darren
As Colin said the AF115 was designed to work on the higher frequiencies notably those used in television IF stages. We came across these in the early hybrid and all transistorised tv sets dating back to the mid 1960's.
Strangely enough despite the higher temeperatures and voltages they were reliable so perhaps you may have fitted a more reliable replacement.
Old 14th Aug 2006, 11:10 am   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Sounds like a microphonic OC71 Darren. I have come across light sensitive ones before if the paint gets damaged. Can cause a buzz if working under fluorescent light with the transistor exposed. Guess who found this out after wasting a lot of time trying to find a strange fault.

Biggles.
Old 14th Aug 2006, 5:41 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Sounds like a microphonic OC71 Darren. I have come across light sensitive ones before if the paint gets damaged. Can cause a buzz if working under fluorescent light with the transistor exposed. Guess who found this out after wasting a lot of time trying to find a strange fault.

Biggles.

No it wasn't damaged black paint as I checked it for that. All I know is changing the OC71 cured the problem
Old 15th Aug 2006, 8:59 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
OC71 Darren. I have come across light sensitive ones before
Indeed, they can be used as photo transistors.
Just scrape the paint from an old one, pop some sleeving over it leaving the end of the sleeving proud of the transistor. Connect an ohmeter across the base and emitter. Then see what happens when the open end of the sleeving is covered and uncovered.
Old 21st Sep 2007, 4:30 pm   #8
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Decca TP85 transistor problems.

Mine on the bench today had a duff OC71(TR6) too.

Another point I noticed... on both trader sheet 1634 and the Newnes book entry, C71 (10μF) is shown connected the wrong way round. In fact the negative (not positive) side should be facing R52. Fortunately in the actual set, this was connected correctly.

Steve
Old 14th Oct 2007, 9:55 am   #9
jim_jobe
Heptode

Re-microphonic Germanium transistors. Many years ago I came across the opposite of this, i.e. a transistor which produced sound. It was an unmarked Germanium one in a TO5 can and I was using it in a class A output stage. The output transformer somehow became disconnected but I found I could still hear sound coming from the transistor itself - presumably from some sort of piezoelectric/magnetostriction effect,
Jim
Old 19th Oct 2007, 12:43 pm   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Indeed, they can be used as photo transistors.
Just scrape the paint from an old one, pop some sleeving over it leaving the end of the sleeving proud of the transistor. Connect an ohmeter across the base and emitter. Then see what happens when the open end of the sleeving is covered and uncovered.
I seem to remember that Mullard produced a light sensitive transistor ORP71? which was just an OC71 without the paint. These cost more than an OC71, so hobbyists just bought an OC71 and scraped the paint off. Apparently when Mullard found out about this they started putting the paint on the inside of the glass can.

I can remember buying OC71s etc in the mid 60's. They came in a Mullard logoed box about 3" x 1" by 1/4". A far cry from the bagfuls we get today.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Oct 2007, 6:07 pm   #11
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I seem to remember that Mullard produced a light sensitive transistor ORP71?
OCP71.

S
Old 20th Oct 2007, 11:12 am   #12
jim_jobe
Heptode

If anyone wants a black-painted OC71 to scrape the paint off I have a few unmarked ones which make great OCP71s,
Jim
Closed Thread