UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2019, 8:50 pm   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Extending old door bell by wireless

Hello

I have a problem in that I cannot hear my doorbell in the garage and I am looking for a cheap and simple solution
I have obtained a used Siemens JS JS – 211 wireless doorbell with bell push and would like it to extend my rather old (35 years) Friedland wired AC transformed system (Friedland 752)
I have found the contacts that operate the bell push, but how to connect the wireless bell push to the existing system has me more or less stumped
I suspect that I need to have some sort of relay that will be energised by the primary AC supply and create a momentary secondary contact…..but which one? How?

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks
Philip
Old 19th Jan 2019, 9:23 pm   #2
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Extending old door bell by wireless

Siemens have the DCBP5 wired to wireless convertor designed for just such an application. In-Excess sell them on their ebay and possibly their online store for £5.94 so cheap enough.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 10:27 pm   #3
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thank you for that

I'll order one of those, but I suspect I will need to disconnect the existing bell/chime and just be using the old bell push
This may move my problem!

Thanks again

Philip
Old 20th Jan 2019, 12:05 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

If you want to retain the wired chime, you need a relay to provide a pair of normally open, electrically isolated contacts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	176750  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 10:45 am   #5
John M0GLN
Octode

What I did to solve a similar problem was to mount the new wireless bell push next to the existing chimes transformer, remove the battery from the wireless bell push and power it with DC taken from the existing chimes 12VAC ? supply using a WO6 bridge rectifier, capacitor, resistor and Zener, the wireless push contacts were permanently bridged or you could just use a cable tie to keep the button pressed in, so now when the front door bell push is pressed the original chimes work as before and the wireless bell push transmitter is activated.

John
Old 20th Jan 2019, 4:12 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I have to conceed, that's a far simpler and therefore better solution than mine John.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 4:49 pm   #7

A bit OT but still to do with proper electric door bells. How did the ding-dong for front door and ding only for the back door work?

Old 20th Jan 2019, 11:29 pm   #8
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thanks Gents

I may have to examine a combination of Grahams and Johns solutions

The way the wireless bell seems to work is with some sort of pairing and setting the choice of "ring tone" by pressing a secondary switch in the bell push

So perhaps Grahams relay solution to operate and Johns to provide battery free power

Philip
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 11:13 am   #9
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
A bit OT but still to do with proper electric door bells. How did the ding-dong for front door and ding only for the back door work?
On the 'Big Ben' door chime, there were two distinct solenoids, one which rose to strike the upper gong, then fell back to strike the lower; and another single-ended one which only struck the upper gong.
It was fun to hold the front-door push down, and watch some 'grown-up' answer the back door!
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 12:07 pm   #10

Quote:
It was fun to hold the front-door push down, and watch some 'grown-up' answer the back door!
Solved by making the single ding a dong.

Old 22nd Jan 2019, 12:58 pm   #11
John M0GLN
Octode

In addition to adding the wireless chimes I described in #5, I also increased the volume of the traditional Morphy-Richard Clydon ones I have by supplying these with capacitor discharge DC, this also comes from the existing bell transformer, after a bridge rectifier and a 470μF cap' I now get about 18V, sufficient to give a good resounding ding-dong.

John
Closed Thread