UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2018, 12:28 am   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Snubber resistor advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4_Pete View Post

Delving off a bit into the deeper depths I worked with these people for a while ( No connection at all now) see lab note 103 under "get smart about the arc" for what you might be up against.
https://www.arcsuppressiontechnologies.com/

pete
Any idea what's in that "NOsparc" gismo? A diac or a gas discharge device would seem to have the right sort of characteristics though either would rely on some circuit inductance to provide an initial overvoltage spike.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Jul 2018, 11:02 am   #22
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB
Not correct. In fact you can often tell whether a circuit is capacitive or inductive by whether the blue flash is at switch on or off. The "infinite" inrush of a pure capacitor causes an arc as the first few atoms of the switch contacts touch across - and that small initial contact area is promptly vapourised and makes the spark you see, and so errodes the contacts.
OK. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 1:13 pm   #23
John M0GLN
Octode

Just to say I received the 10nF X2 cap' which works perfectly on its own and also with a 100R resistor in series, so I left the resistor in place and they just fit into an MK plug, I removed the 2 plastic cable grips from the plug and replaced them with a piece of 1mm thick paxolin which if anything failed would stop any bits falling out..

I checked the Marantz AV Receiver manual and the main off/on switch can be used without going into standby and this simply cuts the mains supply which is what the Intelliplug does so there should be no problems.

Thanks for all your input.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	166262  
Closed Thread