UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2017, 1:44 pm   #1
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Mackie M1400i

Not really a vintage product, the Mackie M1400i dates from the 90’s; but an interesting repair.

The M1400i is a Pro Audio amplifier, 700 watts per channel into 2 ohms, or 1400 watts into 4 ohms when run in bridge mode. It was sent in with the instruction that “someone else” had tried to repair it but failed. No problem, I have spent 35 years cleaning up other peoples failed repairs on Pro Audio equipment.
The service manual is readily available from the web, such as my favourite https://elektrotanya.com

I stripped the amplifier down, and a quick investigation revealed R7, R9, R10, R11, R13, R14, R15, R16 and R18 were open circuit, whilst Q28 was short circuit.

After replacing these, the amplifier quiescent current set up perfectly, but the fan was starting instantly at full speed, it should be a 4 second delay unless the unit is hot, and the front panel LED said the unit was overheating.

After a long search, I found that Q89 was switched hard on constantly no a.c reaching D57, so no reverse bias. Unfortunately, the service manual does not provide the print layouts, and I was getting nowhere trying to follow the path of D57 back to the a.c. inputs.

To follow the print, I had to depopulate parts of the board. Doing so, I followed the a.c. to the fuse area, and so I lifted the two fuses to follow the a.c.; see the attached photograph.

Someone had previously removed the fuses with a crowbar, and ripped numerous pieces of fine print.
20 minutes with Kynar wire, superglue and polyurethane lacquer, and I had a nice neat print repair.

Reassembly gave a blip from the fan at switch on, and no overheat LED. The amplifier checked out fine for power, noise and distortion. Another happy customer

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1400_damaged_print.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	137253  

Last edited by kevinaston1; 8th Feb 2017 at 1:52 pm. Reason: Missed picture
Old 12th Feb 2017, 6:56 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Mackie M1400i

Brilliant repair and an informative write-up. An audio amplifier with an output approaching 2 brake horsepower... sounds quite scary!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Feb 2017, 7:15 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

That's what I call a proper amplifier -- one that, if you stick a screwdriver across the output terminals, you end up needing a new screwdriver
Old 13th Feb 2017, 1:33 pm   #4
kevinaston1
Hexode

Not a big amplifier as far as Pro Audio goes.

At my last company, it was not unusual to get a rack of five or more Lab Gruppen PLM20K amplifiers; that is a total of 100kW into 2.67 ohms. You need a lot of power for an outdoor concert.

Kevin
Closed Thread