UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2018, 3:20 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Dansette Conquest

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Dansette Conquest, but I would like to know what the average tracking force on one of these is and whether you can adjust them or not. Thanks.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 7:06 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Conquest

The Dansette "Conquest" was fitted with 3 types of BSR autochanger - BSR UA8, UA14 and UA15 - so without knowing which one you are buying we cannot be specific. You can certainly adjust the tracking force using the spring under the tone arm. A rather rough answer to your question is that if the version you are buying is fitted with an older type BSR TC8M Mono cartridge and you only intend to play older Mono LPs (not Stereo) and 45s the tracking force should be c.5-7 grams. If it has been later fitted with a Stereo-Compatible cartridge and you intend to play both Mono and Stereo LPs, the tracking weight should be c.5 grams. We really do need more precise info from you.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 9:50 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

5g+(+++?).

Probably coarsely adjustable via a spring position but will vary somewhat depending on the height of the stack in autochange mode.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 9:52 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

If still fitted with the original cartridge, about 8 grams, but in all probability the cartridge would have been replaced with a stereo compatible version by now, tracking at between 4-6 grams, depending on the make and model. The tracking weight is adjustable by the stretching of a spring under the arm. Not exactly hi-tech, but effective.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 3:17 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh, sorry, I don't know which deck, ill get pictures of the type I would like to get. Im not sure of the first decks' model, but I know the second image is BSR UA14. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monarch_ua12_608453.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	166396   Click image for larger version

Name:	bsr ua14.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	166397  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 4:58 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The photo on the left is of the earlier and rather more rare, BSR UA12. If these were ever fitted to an early Dansette "Conquest" Mk1, it will be very rare.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 5:21 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

I sell Dansette Conquests from time to time, but before you buy you must make sure it is fully serviced.

Before I sell them, the deck is stripped right down, all old grease is removed and fresh lubricant applied. The motor is stripped and oiled. If a stereo compatible cartridge is fitted then it gets a new stylus, otherwise ??I fit a new stereo cartridge.

The amplifier will be checked and certain capacitors replaced on sight, any other out of tolerance components are also replaced.

A new mains cable is also fitted.

I have seen loads of these that are sold serviced but have in fact only had their mains cable replaced and had a few drops of oil here and there.

Finally I give a 1 year guarantee except for the stylus.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 6:00 pm   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The photo on the left is of the earlier and rather more rare, BSR UA12. If these were ever fitted to an early Dansette "Conquest" Mk1, it will be very rare.
looking on ebay, I have actually seen a few for sale, but none that have been serviced and some not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I sell Dansette Conquests from time to time, but before you buy you must make sure it is fully serviced.
Do you also repair if someone has bought the player and then sends them to you? If so, how much?
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 8:12 pm   #9
Michael Maurice

Yes I do, I'll send you a PM.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread