UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2018, 10:20 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default A digital clock that ticks!

This is an ingenious device! We had this exact model on our mantelpiece in the 70s when I was growing up, so I was delighted to spot one for sale a while ago

When the minute ticks round it engages a switch, turning on a little 1.5v motor which advances the minute drum by one digit and at the same time through some gearing, winds the spring for the clockwork mechanism which keeps the time. The whole process takes just a few seconds, then the motor is switched out and it reverts to clockwork power. Clever isn't it?

This one was sold as a non-worker and remains so, unfortunately. Although the motor works and can be made to advance the digits, the clockwork side is in trouble with the main spring looking to be in something of a tangle. When working properly I do remember that you can distinctly hear the clock ticking. It's a nice curio and very nostalgic for me.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	174250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	174251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	174252  
Old 9th Dec 2018, 2:46 pm   #2

Default Re: A digital clock that ticks!

I have a cheap flip clock (I just fancied one, eight quid!) it has a "standard" quartz movement that ticks once a second. Oddly there are two AA cells in parallel to power it. Same as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flip-Flap...YAAOSwl3xbvrlk one.

Old 9th Dec 2018, 6:09 pm   #3
matthewhouse
Octode

I have one of those. The winding was quite noisy I seem to recall. I'm not sure where it is right now though.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 6:22 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have something similar too (the movement may be the same, the case is slightly different styling).

Mine has a clockwork mechanism driven by a mainstring that is designed to take exactly 1 minute to run down (there's a normal escapement/balance wheel if I remember correctly). There's an electrical rewind mechanism that therefore operates every minute exactly. And this increments the display drum.

And like everyone else's here, mine doesn't work -- yet!
Old 9th Dec 2018, 11:22 pm   #5
hamid_1
Heptode

I also have quite a collection of these electromechanical clocks, including a plastic cased Sankyo Digi-Glo alarm clock with a very similar mechanism. It has an extra wheel for the alarm, a buzzer and a button to switch on a torch bulb to illuminate the display at night. The basic principle is the same; once a minute, a clockwork mechanism switches on a motor which advances the minutes by one, simultaneously rewinding the clock. It worked last time I tried it. Maybe the only working one left?

Your clock is shown here: http://www.mridout.force9.co.uk/ecw/jecodrum.htm

There was also a mains powered drum clock, driven by a synchronous motor. I think the mechanism was made by Sankyo as well. Here's one that I used to have https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/harris...inal_h_17.html
I currently have a Prinzsound DC 10 clock radio using the same movement. It doesn't tick, it hums rather loudly, hence it has been retired from bedside duty.

A couple of other digital clocks in my collection that tick:
A Coramatic flip clock, driven by a magnetic balance wheel http://www.mridout.force9.co.uk/ecw/coroticket.htm
Magnet attached to balance wheel moves past a pickup coil, inducing a voltage in it. This turns on a transistor, allowing current from the battery to flow through a bigger coil. This generates a magnetic field which repels the magnet on the balance wheel, keeping it moving. Same principle is used in lots of clocks from the '60s and '70s. A particularly nice example is this Kundo magnetic pendulum clock which I also have : http://www.mridout.force9.co.uk/ecw/kundo.htm

Another flip clock that ticks: the Metamec 3000 (?) - https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-retro...486252829.html

I think I got lucky - I bought mine for £1 from a car boot sale, but it's missing the pedestal stand. Internally the movement is a traditional ticking clockwork one made by Keinzle of Germany with a solenoid to automatically rewind it, like this clock: http://www.mridout.force9.co.uk/ecw/jung285.htm

And I couldn't resist buying one of the modern flip clocks like Merlinmaxwell above mentioned: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Uniq...dp/B00L8VNLDS/
Less than a tenner from China! Unusually, the hours and minutes can be adjusted separately. It takes two AA batteries but since they're wired in parallel, I tried it with only one battery and it worked just as well. It's quartz, so one tick per second. After about 6 months use, it developed a slight fault. At 57 minutes past the hour, the 57 and 58 minute cards sometimes flip over at the same time, so it changes straight from :57 to :59 and stays like that for 2 minutes. Not a big deal though.

Incidentally, if you're interested in vintage electromechanical clocks, http://www.electric-clocks.org.uk/ describes a good selection of them. As well as the ones I've already mentioned, I also have a few more wacky ones like the Smiths Sectronic Mk1, the Smiths Tuning Fork clock and the Diehl Dilectron - this is the only one I can't get working as yet.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 1:54 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've always been fascinated by these sorts of oddball clocks and the mechanisms they use. Does anyone remember the 1950s 'perpetual' car-clocks (I think made by Kienzle) which were clockwork but had a contact-and-solenoid-connected-to-a-ratchet-and-pawl which would trigger periodically to top-up the spring with an extra half-a-turn of windedness?

Listening very closely you could hear the constant tick-tick-tick but every couple of minutes there would be a louder tick!
Old 10th Dec 2018, 2:16 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remontoire
Old 10th Dec 2018, 2:31 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I have the same model in my clock collection. It is identical though the branding is Compundum if I can remember. Mine didn’t work either. The D battery holder was badly corroded and the motor would not turn unless poked!!

The motor was repaired by pulling the casing off and finding the brushes had worn and snapped off. I managed to fabricate some brushes with some resistor legs! A new D battery holder got it going again.

I found the clock speed to be very fast and this was caused by the mainspring becoming over wound. After unwinding it and letting the mechanism wind it up it now runs at the correct speed. I have it in my bedroom and it is quite noisy. It makes quite a clunk every minute.

Christopher Capener
Old 10th Dec 2018, 2:37 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

They are a very simple mechanism.
I have got an elapsed time indicator that uses the same system however it adds anything from half a minute to two minutes depending on when the power is cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6741.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	174298  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 7:51 pm   #10
Robsradio
Heptode

I have the same model in my lounge, the make of mine is Jeco, I bought it cheaply on a certain auction site a few years ago, it didn't work as one motor brush had worn through. I fabricated some new ones and it works well now, not the best time keeper but they are only cheap pin pallet movements so can't expect too much.
I have a real weakness for any clock that is mechanical digital, and have quite a selection.
I am still looking for a Perspex front for my Solari Cifra 5 if anyone has one or even a complete non runner clock?
Old 16th Dec 2018, 9:57 pm   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Red face Re: A digital clock that ticks!

Many years ago, I picked up a digital clock like for a couple of quid at a car boot sale. Although at the time I realised it was 115-v.a.c., it wasn't until I started using it that I realised it was a bad time keeper! Why? It was expecting a 60 Hz mains supply!

Al.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:48 pm   #12
Alvin
Heptode

Some time in the 70s a BBC radio presenter friend returned from the USA with a new Panasonic Radio/Cassette/Alarm clock and aware not to plug it directly into UK mains he asked a Post Office engineer he knew to help and the guy duly turned up with a transformer resulting briefly in smiles all round then puzzlement when they found the clock lost 10 minutes every hour!

I got the call to sort it so went round to find the PO engineer still scratching his head and no matter how many times I explained the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz he couldn't grasp the concept so I said leave it with me and eventually managed to source a 50Hz movement from Panasonic in Slough - it was a new model not available in this country and their UK service manager was very helpful in getting it for me,

Last edited by Alvin; 16th Dec 2018 at 10:50 pm. Reason: missing word
Closed Thread