UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2014, 9:22 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Making PCBs with a pen

Hi all, can anyone recommend a decent make of etch resist pen for making PCBs using the old ferric chloride method? The permanent marker pens which I bought which were meant to be good enough for the job give very poor results, with tracks etched through where they should remain. I remember the Dalo pen which I used years ago successfully, and I was just wondering what types are best for the job. I don't normally use transfers because I have found that they left hairline cracks in tracks in the past.
Alan.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 2:51 am   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Making PCBs with a pen

I think you may have answered your own question Alan. Like you, I had good results with the Dalo years ago, but they seem to have disappeared and although some pens are being sold as "etch resistant", I haven't found anything which does the job.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 6:45 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Tiny brush and model enamel paint?

I've used car cellulose paint before.

David
Old 14th Apr 2014, 7:33 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Tiny brush and bitumastic paint works. Used to use this method to make "Celtic" knotwork jewellery. Andy.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 9:10 am   #5
daviddeakin
Hexode

I've had sucess with all sorts of generic permenant pens, but only if you go over the lines two or three times, allowing it to dry in between, so you get a nice, thick, opaque deposit of ink.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:42 am   #6
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Guys........ To be honest I found the only reliable way is to laser print onto clear acetate.. UV expose onto Photoresist material.......I am afraid the "Dalo" pen are long gone....If its a very simple pcb, then use a mini drill with a dentist burr and rout out the gaps.
Sorry I am forgetting you need to generate the artwork in the first place.... Maplin sell the PCB Wizard software......its very basic but ok for home use..
Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:54 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

There used to be some X-Y computer controlled engraving tables that made proto PCBs

Probably too expensive, but I keep thinking of making one.... and a bigger one for a plasma torch!

DAvid
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:57 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Something like this maybe? It's called a "Dalo Pen" in the Jaycar print catalogue.

(edit) showing as out of stock, but may be worth asking them anyway.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 12:21 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Much closer to home, the pens are available from ESR Electronics at £1.25 each:

http://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/products/frame_pcb.htm

Lots of other PCB making stuff, (plus components etc).

I never had much success with those pens. For small one-off PCBs I find rub down transfers fine, using a soft pencil with a blunt point to rub them down. Having cleaned the bare PCB I dip it in etchant for a few moments and rinse it off, as I find that the transfers adhere much better than onto a polished board. I check the tracks with a magnifying glass before etching to ensure no breaks. Attached is a pic of a custom PCB I made with rub-down transfers (for a digital RPM Counter for a lathe).

Drifting off the original query, but still relevant I hope, for PCBs using artwork I use the laborious process of UV with a home made light box, which involves spraying the board with UV lacquer and developing it, and am a bit long in the tooth to change my ways. However, I’m aware that many people these days are printing directly onto glossy magazine paper using a laser printer and ironing it onto the PCB, but I don’t have a laser printer so can’t try it. I’ve heard varying reports of success rates, but it does have the merit of being virtually free to do. Lots of examples on internet, and this has probably been mentioned on the forum before:

http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm

I used to print artwork for UV masks directly onto clear acetate which worked like a charm on an HP Photosmart, but when that conked out I made the mistake of changing to an Epson printer, (SX525), only to learn from Epson that their printers don’t support printing onto acetates. (It makes no difference what media setting is chosen). Anyone who might wish to print onto acetate would be well advised to check if their printer lists a ‘transparency’ setting in ‘supported media’. (HP printers seem to list this feature). These are the acetates I used to use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/INKJET-CLEAR.../dp/B000KJO7BO

As an etching solution for PCB’s I long ago abandoned messy ferric chloride in preference to sodium pesulphate (Na2S2O8). This is an effective and far cleaner alternative to ferric chloride, (the etchant just turns light blue, leaves no 'sludge'). It has a 6 – 8 minute etch time at 45C – 50C and the bath life is 4 – 6 weeks depending on use and operating temperature. It needs to be dissolved in water at a concentration of 200 grams per litre, but a stronger solutions can be made if required. It doesn't work well at below 45 degrees C. (Other uses include etching zinc, picking copper). Available on e-bay for about a tenner for 500g (enough for 2.5L of etchant) post free.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM Meter PCB ready to etch_edited-1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	91520  
Old 14th Apr 2014, 3:45 pm   #10
richrussell
Heptode

The laser printer toner transfer method has become one of the most popular these days. Most people design their pcb artwork with some form of computer program (there are loads of free ones out there) so it's second nature to print it out. And most people have access to a laser printer at work if not at home. If all you print is black and white, they can actually work out cheaper than inkjets now.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 5:09 pm   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I do actually have one Dalo pen which I've had since ~1970 (?) which still has some ink in it and is useable.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 6:17 pm   #12
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Thanks for all the suggestions. To be honest I rarely make PCBs, maybe one or two a year and just for very simple designs. I am a bit reluctant to try anything too technical for this reason, and rely on the old hand drawn method as I have all the raw materials at hand, well all apart from a decent pen. The Dalo pen seemed to contain an almost thin enamel paint, whereas the modern pens really are just indelible marker ink. I thought that I was leaving the board in too long but last time (this weekend just gone) I made sure the board was out right after the last copper disappeared, but was still left with a streaky finish. Tinning the the tracks will probably be acceptable this time but I think I'll probably just revert to transfers and as David suggests part etch the board to improve adhesion. This whole episode has come about while attempting to copy the AL60 amplifier board as mentioned in another thread. I have two boards etched albeit with poor tracks but they will pass for a couple of prototypes. I had the luxury of using the kitchen in the house as my wife was away this weekend! I think I've managed to get rid of the green etch stains from the worktops.
Alan.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 6:17 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Doing it by hand I've found nail-varnish to be a rather good resist-material. You can often pick up 'out-of-fashion' colours from Boots or other drug-stores for peanuts.

When I've done single-sided PCBs they've always been for HF/VHF low/medium-power applications where the principle is always 'leave as much copper as possible to get the lowest impedance'.

In this context a nail-varnish-bottle's brush is great for quick large-scale area-fill.

After etching, nail-varnish-remover strips away the 'mask' and leaves your cuticles wonderfully soft...
Old 14th Apr 2014, 6:28 pm   #14
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I might try that. Not sure about going into a shop to buy nail varnish though..I feel a raid on my better half's stock coming on. I suppose darker shades are a bit easier to see on the PCB.
I wonder if it's possible to use a very fine brush for the thinner tracks.
Alan.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 6:38 pm   #15
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder if nail varnish and the like might work in old-style techical pens?
I'm thinking of the type with a little funnel feeding the tip, used before Rotring and similar pens became popular.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 7:10 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

What about Tipp-ex pens?
Old 14th Apr 2014, 7:25 pm   #17
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Is model aircraft dope the same as nail varnish?
Old 14th Apr 2014, 8:24 pm   #18
kellys_eye
Octode

How are you cleaning your boards pre etching?

I find that 'sharpies' work just fine IF you polish the board to a high sheen before use. Do NOT use anything abrasive, not even the green scourers you find in the kitchen. If your board is anything short of 'glass-like' then use 1200 grit wet&dry to get the surface smooth then use T-Cut to get back to a sheen.

If I drill the board prior to using a pen then I also wet&dry the board to de-bur the holes.

Once you have drawn the layout use a ferric chloride solution at about 30C - 40C and agitate the etch continuously until the copper is removed and not a moment longer.

You can purchase bottles of permanent ink to 'overfill' a sharpie and give it a runny-er consistency if you find the pen doesn't deposit enough ink. Quite often a new sharpie will only last one or two resist patterns before the flow dries out to a point where you find yourself scraping off the stuff you've already applied (if you have to go over the tracks to get a more opaque result).

Not sure it tinning solution is still available by I use this on the finished board (or leave the etch resist pen on the surface and solder through it).

The other method I use is the laser toner one. If you have any old CD label sheets or similar self-adhesive label backing sheet then strip off the sticky labels and use the whole sheet, shiny-side up, in your laser printer. The toner almost wipes straight off using your finger after printing so HANDLE IT CAEFULLY and iron it onto a pre-heated board. It takes only a minute to get good adhesion.

The laser toner method is VERY good if you practise it.
Old 14th Apr 2014, 8:41 pm   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Alan, I think RS now do a free PCB etc design suite of software. It is called "Design Spark". I think the design lib has all their common components.

Ed
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:43 pm   #20
TonyPhs
Retired Dormant Member

I've used a white paint marker with some limited success. It's an edding 780 and has a 0.8mm nib. It would probably be better if used in conjunction with a nice ruler, which I neglected to do and ended up with a wavy pcb track. It certainly resisted my etchant which took around 30 minutes to strip the copper away at room temperature.
Closed Thread