UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2015, 7:43 am   #21
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Maplin Function generator PCB kit.

"Audio Waveform Generator" kit (Maplin magazine Dec 1991) was an excellent kit, for
which I wrote a step by step construction and testing regime for undergraduate
students, we used this kit up to 1999 when discontinued. There was only once a
problem when a particular manufacturers batch of 4017 ics refused to count, but I
found that one early and replaced with Philips or Motorola 4017s.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:46 am   #22
Wendymott
Octode

No offence Restoration73, as it was a while ago, the memory gets a bit faded. Counter or gates, still the problem did exist as noted by yourself. It does not alter the fact that as Maplin grew the ethos changed, quality was compromised as the bean counters took control. I still shop there, but more wary.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Oct 2015, 12:33 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

I've found that the gap between what I use and what Maplin have keeps widening.

I bulk-buy components at amateur radio rally stalls, and get the rest from Farnell.

I miss Jim Fish, Miss Taylor, M&B's, RME... and I regret I'm so far from Lincoln.

David
Old 1st Oct 2015, 7:16 pm   #24
Wendymott
Octode

Hi David. I fully concur with you, VERY occasionally Maplin may have some useful item.. however as you I have accounts at Farnell, CPC, and Mallinsons components in Hudds. Obviously also surplus and the odd Junk sale at Denby dale ARS.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Oct 2015, 7:45 pm   #25
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I miss Jim Fish, Miss Taylor, M&B's, RME... and I regret I'm so far from Lincoln.
I concur with you on Jim Fish, I never had a bad deal off Jim.
There are a few valve dealers I see at the swopmeets who similarly supply reliable valves at fair prices and that tends to be my main source of "toobs".
Anyway i suspect this has veered off topic and i think my original post/question/observation has been well answered by you fine folks.

Andy
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:43 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

Mallinsons components in Huddersfield? Oh? a new name on me. Where are they? I'm going to be down seeing the family and the QRP doo, so I'd like to have a look.

I was one of Jim Fish's first customers on the day he opened his shop at the end of Milford street AND I bought a real 'toob' a 5BP1 from him that day. A genuine nice guy.

Maplins, I bought a few bits off of them by post when they got going. They seemed to have someone electroniky behind them at the start, but then salespeople and then accountants got behind the wheel. Nuff said.

David
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 10:30 am   #27
Wendymott
Octode

Hi David. He is at Aspley.... https://www.mallinson-electrical.com/ just mention my name and he will show you the door haa haa...or 3 Silver St W, Huddersfield HD5 9AG...
Phone:01484 549200.
I bought a "J" beam 8 ele 2 m in about 68 from Jim.... brought it to Otley on my motorbike....cant think how I did that...he was on Chapel hill by then.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread