UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2010, 10:22 am   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The use of valves in car radios

cheerful charlie, that 'box' contained the power amplifier, which, in the case of your dad's PYE Radio was transistorised, making the set a 'hybrid' type. These were common in the late '50s/early 60s, most used the 12 volt valves (ECH83, etc., mentioned by vinrads). All transistor radios came in during the 60s, many having those push-button tuners you mention.
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 12:49 pm   #22
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post

His 1965 car radio was all transistor with those brilliant mechanical selector buttons...once again something that worked very well compared to all the nonsense you have to go through today just to find a station and hold it for 10 minutes.

I know what you mean. A previous owner of my Doblo has fitted a CD radio but wired it up wrong so it loses it's preset station memory when you turn off the ignition. I could easily alter the wiring if I just knew how you get the darned thing out of the dashboard
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 8:36 pm   #23
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Until 1971 we were supposed to buy a "radio receiving license" for a radio fixed into a car so many a Trannie, fitted with a coupling coil on its ferrite rod, was balanced on the dashboard and connected to an aerial clipped to the roof gutter. Standardised methods of fitting car radios eventually followed and now, like heaters and aircon are no longer "optional extras". Progress. But what about Digital car radios?
That's another story says the moderator!

Got carried away there and forgot to tell 'fidobsa' he probably needs a pair of U shaped release keys to get the set out of the dashboard (what's their propoer name?)

Cheers

Last edited by Maestro Maker; 3rd Apr 2010 at 8:47 pm. Reason: add note
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 10:35 pm   #24
jimmc101
Heptode

I can remember fitting a Hybrid radio in my Mk1 Cortina, something in it was rather microphonic,made an interesting 'ting' when changing stations. Single OC16 output stage, EF98 driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidobsa View Post
I could easily alter the wiring if I just knew how you get the darned thing out of the dashboard
Off topic but take a look here http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=27

Jim
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 10:47 pm   #25
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Maker View Post
Until 1971 we were supposed to buy a "radio receiving license" for a radio fixed into a car
I believe you needed a separate license if the radio was powered by the car electrics. If it was running from its own internal battery, your home license covered its use. Some transistor portables of the time had a socket for a car aerial connector, so you could use them in the car, travelling along.

I was using a valve (hybrid, with OC16 output stage) in my car until 1994 when I was lucky enough to be given a company car. Power demand was 1.5A and I ran it direct from the battery, so it was useable all the time. I did run the battery flat a couple of times, with prolonged listening while stationary with the doors open, but a couple of swings on the starting handle, no problem!
Old 4th Apr 2010, 12:06 pm   #26
Techman
Dekatron

Hi all,

Here's a couple of pictures, outside & in, of my Pye TCR 1000 car radio which I've had for many years. It's a bit tatty, but still works well. Four valves with the output transistor mounted on the outside of the back of the case....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030680.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	34041

Name:	P1030681.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	34042
Old 6th Apr 2010, 10:04 am   #27
Michael Maurice

The Daily mail have published my reply.

This thread has gone OT a few times and has now reached the end of the road, so I'm switching the engine off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	34141  
Closed Thread